Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Redacted Feedback re Asset Store UPM

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Rowlan, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradZoob

BradZoob

The Unity approach to solving problems sometimes reminds me a lot of new devs who do something for the first time, invariably wrong, which is fine we all started somewhere, but if they just introduced a simple cultural aspect to their development processes that required, and more importantly; supported, ASKING outside of their knowledge domain "how is this done" they'd probably come across the concept of "pagination" or "atomic cache invalidation" pretty quick. Some dev cultures are poisonous like that, reinforcing castigatation for ignorance, it stultifies development innovation and reinforces authoritarian social structures that drive away quality engineers and leaves you in the same state but with less accountability or remediation, and desktop/game dev culture is some 20 years behind business ops dev and they're traditionally not across networks at the same depth, whereas b2b is all about managing data transit across broad networks, from across internal vlans to external service aggregators. Testing, however, it baffles me that a pro dev team wouldn't test everything for worst case scenario as the priority, regardless of culture, you can't in good sense test a list aggregator that could potentially contain 10,000 items with only a handful of example items and call it a day, that's just weird and pointless, if you had a series of tests and they all green flagged over an extremely optimistic bench then the problem isn't the code it's the test parameters, a basic feature test should expose failure to manage large lists pretty quick just based on the editor jarring up alone, whether it's an iops bottleneck (asset cache) or network concern (lack of chunk/paging). And making sure test envs are complete, it must be a practical best/worse case emulation of actual user environments, including storage configurations (iops) and network emulation (throughput). The rise of local dev has been appalling on that front, "if it works at <1ms then it works everywhere!" lol no need to adjust your timeouts then i guess, right? but for a 1000 strong international team, I'm sure they can do better than this without too much effort.

:) i love unity, please be better. *hugs*

2. bradbecker

bradbecker

Unity is a fairly large, distributed team working on complicated, overlapping features in multiple concurrent versions of live software. Not a surprise to see lots of issues pop up. That said, this one feels like it should've been caught earlier or run through a better UX/design process.

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

There seems to be a new issue. A user reported it and I had it as well with Dungeon Architect: The package manager didn't download the latest version from the store. But neither did the Asset Store downloader in 2019.4. After I deleted the unitypackage file manually from disk, the download of the latest version was possible. The other user solved it the same way.

4. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

I would honestly say that there's several bits of feedback and bug issues in this thread. From speaking to the team this week, they really aplore bug report submissions from you lovely folks so they can rightly log this and plan accordingly.

Rowlan, if you've logged this previously, could you ping me a bug report number?

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

Only for this: "(Case 1228596) Package Manager doesn't update search results".

But if you want, I can create a single bug report with all the issues I've found. Just let me know which Unity version I should use.

The last one I posted was new to me. A user posted it in the Dungeon Architect thread and then I noticed I had it as well.

6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

I'd say most recent stable would suffice - how many open issues have you got? I'm thinking that individual ones may be easier if it needs to be assigned to other teams - multiple issues in one bug report can get rather confusing and hard to keep track of if.

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Here you go:

(Case 1298768) Package Manager takes very long to show My Assets
    (Case 1298770) Package Manager refresh doesn't respect the search term
    (Case 1298771) Package Manager doesn't update an asset
    (Case 1298774) Package Manager installs the wrong file
    (Case 1298776) Package Manager lacks "Open folder" button
    (Case 1298777) Package Manager shows the wrong version
    (Case 1298778) Package Manager lists redundant assets
    (Case 1298779) Package Manager versioning is wrong
    (Case 1298787) Package Manager hangs
    (Case 1298788) Package Manager Entities is missing

1298771 and 1298774 are the nastiest ones.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  8. JoNax97

JoNax97

Holly sh*t that's a lot of bugs :eek:

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Well, it's not all necessarily bugs. Details:

(Case 1298768) Package Manager takes very long to show My Assets
    That's a performance / architecture problem

(Case 1298770) Package Manager refresh doesn't respect the search term
    That's a usability problem and minor bug

That's a fatal bug. Like seriously foobared

(Case 1298774) Package Manager installs the wrong file

(Case 1298776) Package Manager lacks "Open folder" button
    Necessary feature request

(Case 1298777) Package Manager shows the wrong version
    Major issue, probably related to the wrong file detection or just using the wrong history of file versions

(Case 1298778) Package Manager lists redundant assets
    Annoying issue

(Case 1298779) Package Manager versioning is wrong
    Minor formatter issue

(Case 1298787) Package Manager hangs
    My guess is it extracts something or scans something and that's why it hangs for eg a 2 GB unitypackage. Either way the progress popup message is wrong and cancel doesn't work on the progress popup

(Case 1298788) Package Manager Entities is missing
    Super bad architecture and design decision, Entities can be added, but you need insider know-how

JoNax97 likes this.
  10. FireMutant

FireMutant

This one has become a real nuisance over the last several builds 2020.1.14f - 2020.1.17f. Package manager automatically thinks I have the newest version downloaded every time there is an update to an asset, and won't show/enable the update/download button. I have to delete the asset from the .AppData/Unity folder and then re-download the package. Very frustrating.

11. bradbecker

bradbecker

This one is killing me a little here. It's a huge miss.

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Thank you Rowlan - I'll make sure these have had visibility.

FireMutant likes this.
  13. Rowlan

Rowlan

You're welcome. I just added another, seems to have the same problem the asset store has. When you search for "fimpossible" you don't get any results. You have to search for "fimpossible creations". I guess it's the same problem that protofactor has, i. e. you have to search for "protofactor inc".

Here's the bug:

(Case 1300568) Package manager doesn't search in substrings
    Major bug imo if people can't find what they paid for

14. WimeSTone

WimeSTone

Does Unity no longer track what asset store assets are present in the current project? Am I missing something?
    I was in 2019.x for a long time. Don't tell me we are forced to check every update manually. upload_2020-12-21_2-41-3.png

15. FireMutant

FireMutant

@WimesSTone, it was working fine up until a few releases of 2020.1.... ago. I haven't tried 2020.2 to see if it is fixed, but when it works, it does track which version you have installed vs. which need updates automagically. I guess we just have to wait for a bug fix.

16. WimeSTone

WimeSTone

I really hope this gets fixed soon. I'm glad I use only a small set of QoL assets, but still, checking and updating every single one manually consumes time, especially since at the moment Unity doesn't want to redownload an updated version of an asset, there's a whole ritual involved.

EricWilliams and FireMutant like this.
  17. Rowlan

Rowlan

@UnityMaru is there an ETA when we can expect a fix? Literally everyone I'm in contact with says the package manager is foobared and you have to delete your assets before you download an update. And they all say you should install a Unity version of 2019 and use the Asset Store web page in there. However not even that works anymore. Even the old one is broken now. I'd like to download the latest version of Meadow Environment and I can't. All I get in 2019 is the "Import" button.

Screenshot from inside Unity 2019.4.10f1:

meadow.jpg

I definitely don't have that version on my disk o_O

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

I was so annoyed by this that I finally attached process monitor to it. This is royally messed up. For one I moved all my asset backups in a subfolder of the publisher. I could make some kind of sense of it when this doesn't work, well not even then. But I realized even renaming the publisher folder doesn't solve the problem. The asset store downloader still scans the folder it's not supposed to:

Code (CSharp):
    1. C:\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\NatureManufacture-backup\3D ModelsVegetation\old\Meadow Environment - Dynamic Nature 2019-09-29.unitypackage    SUCCESS
    2. C:\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\NatureManufacture-backup\3D ModelsVegetation\old\Meadow Environment - Dynamic Nature 2020-04-25.unitypackage    SUCCESS
    3. C:\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\NatureManufacture-backup\3D ModelsVegetation\old\Meadow Environment - Dynamic Nature 2019-02-25.unitypackage    SUCCESS
    I just added "-backup" to the publisher folder. What business of the asset store downloader is it to scan in "NatureManufacture-backup" when all it should is in "NatureManufacture"?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  19. Rowlan

Rowlan

Renaming the .unitypackage to .unitypackagex with x as suffix didn't help either to not be recognized in 2019's asset store downloader. But that works now in the package manager of 2020.1. I finally have a Download button and can get what I paid money for.

pm.png

:rolleyes:

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. artysta

artysta

I haven’t been able to update anything for over a month. I have to delete the asset from the library and re download and that only works until there’s another update I find manually and have to delete all over again.
    This is insane.

Rowlan likes this.
  21. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Not just yet I am afraid, but I have just now asked the team for some information on this to share so I'll let you know what I get back :)

Rowlan likes this.
  22. JvanE

JvanE

Kronnect likes this.
  23. Kronnect

Kronnect

This is still happening in Unity 2020.2f1. Package Manager still refuses to download latest versions of some assets requiring users to clear the local asset cache folder.

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

A video showing the bug still occurring:

25. JvanE

JvanE

The status of the bug just went from "In review" to "Fixed in future release".

26. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Yup - I'm just trying to get some confirmation around which releases will get the fix. I'll post here once i get more information.

Rowlan and Kronnect like this.
  27. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

So, update before I head off for the weekend.

The backport fixes are going through some final QA so hopefully this will end the issue once and for all. Specific patch numbers/dates aren't final at present but I feel that I should at least inform you that fixes are being written and quality checked before they are released.

28. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Thanks for the patience folks.

So, here's what I've been told regarding what versions are getting the fix:

2021.1.0b3
    2020.2.3f1
    2019.4.19f1

So they've landed, it's a case of waiting for the above releases.

schmosef, Rowlan, Kronnect and 2 others like this.
  29. valarnur

valarnur

Will 2020.2.2 be skipped? Will 2020.2.3 release this week?

30. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

No idea. We never skip numbering so it's probably the case it wasn't ready for 2020.2.2.

31. faolad

faolad

Months later still broken. The Unity way - Amazing!

32. JoNax97

JoNax97

Dude, the versions with a fix have JUST been announced 3 post above yours

33. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Maybe I should bold them next time? :p

Skaster87, Volchok and JoNax97 like this.
  34. schmosef

schmosef

I just tested with Unity 2021.1.0b3 and, while it is technically fixed, this still needs polish.

I have a little over 1500 assets.

Opening the package manager and sorting by "Update Date ⬆", doesn't immediately show which assets have updates.

After about 1 minute (literally, about 1 minute), with nothing in the GUI to indicate that some background process is ongoing or complete, the icons suddenly change to indicate which assets have available updates.

Please thank the relevant dev/QA teams for making progress on this issue but also relay that this fix needs some polish. Something in the GUI to indicate "scanning for updates", at the minimum. Speeding up the process to look for updates would be great, as well.

And we still need a filter, like the integrated Asset Store used to have, to list only the assets that have updates available for download.

firstuser, Rowlan and Kronnect like this.
  35. softak

softak

Waterlane likes this.
  36. schmosef

schmosef

Just to clarify, your link says that it's "reproducible in 2020.2.2f1" and that it's "fixed in a future release".

@UnityMaru says that it should be fixed in 2020.2.3f1.

37. softak

softak

Second green row in my provided link:

"Fixed in 2019.4, 2020.2, 2021.1"

38. schmosef

schmosef

Yes, but not specifically 2020.2.2f1

Per the first green row, it's "Fixed in future release".

In fact, the text in the link you posted specifically states "Reproducible with: 2018.4.30f1, 2019.4.18f1, 2020.2.2f1, 2021.1.0b2"

@UnityMaru has told us that 2020.2.3f1 will have the fix.

UnityMaru likes this.
  39. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Correct. 2020.2.2f1 isn't going to have the fix.

Rowlan and schmosef like this.
  40. Rowlan

Rowlan

@UnityMaru Can you please change the title of the thread. It was only chosen to get attention. I think it got it now, thank you! :)

41. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

No problems. Hope you're well :)

schmosef and Rowlan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.