Search Unity

The Other Brothers

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jan 23, 2012.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

it actually throws a lot more detail around than the original games. If you remove rose-tinted spectacles a lot of the old retro classics are quite rubbish compared to modern ideas and execution.

TOB is all about celebrating retro, but that does not mean it will be simplistic. It has tonnes of particles, parallax, shader fade effects and so on with really crisp playability to bring it bang up to date.

We want the best parts from both worlds.

Only the STYLE is retro :)

2. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Congrats on 600+ facebook likes, Whos the boss ;)

3. againsthelaw

againsthelaw

Wow! this game looks fantastic. I'm really looking forward to this game. Hats off to who ever made that really awesome graphics!!

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

CHARACTER DESIGN COMPETITION!

If you could design a character for The Other Brothers, be it an enemy, creature or cameo appearance, what would it look like?

We’ve had our heads down working on The Other Brothers for the last few weeks so things have been a little quiet around these parts but I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear we’ve resurfaced and have a brand new competition for you all!

http://www.tobgame.com/blog/2012/07/06/competition-design-a-character/

5. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there everybody,

If you're interested in our game development you might want to check our Facebook page for new images/videos/news (next to our main page of course)

https://www.facebook.com/theotherbrothersgame

Thomas P.

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

We will be starting a Kickstarter campaign for The Other Brothers soon! Hope to see some of you become Backers :)

Check out the TOB facebook page and give us a likey!

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Why do you put such low quality pics on Facebook etc? i guess it is to stop people stealing art? but thy need to be way higher quality to be able to see the nice effects and stuff. there was one good one from the unity editor but the rest are infected with the "jpg compression"

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

My good friend... this is because Facebook compresses the images. Not much we can do about it. However, you could visit IndieDB and get some higher res version :)

LINK: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-other-brothers

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

hahaha :D

Nobody is "frightened" of people stealing artwork in the actual game industry. There's this thing called copyright.

10. caldrin

caldrin

back in the day those atari graphics where next gen.. :)

I am a firm believer thats modern games can have next gen graphics and good gameplay just most AAA devs are after a quick buck...
    Anyway will keep an eye on your blog :)

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The Other Brothers is a style choice though. It uses many next gen techniques to deliberately act like a 8/16 bit hybrid console. Right down to the virtual resolution and mosaic realtime effects.

That makes it a clearly defined style choice rather than a quick buck.

12. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Here is another shot!

13. TehWut

TehWut

You should sell such an engine when done with the game. 10/10 would definitely buy ;)

14. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

looking good!

15. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

If there is serious interest we would like to hear offers ;)

16. SevenBits

SevenBits

Indeed, I would like to see how this game fares.

17. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks sweet!

18. TehWut

TehWut

lol, well, I'm pretty much a dumb-a when it comes to business and my semi-joking comment, but it is a really cool 2D system. I could only pay around $300 for it max, 'cause i'm a hobbyist and all ;)

looking forward to seeing more!

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

After it's launched I'll share some tips :) The price? ... support us on kickstarter or something if we ever use it ;)

20. DaneC020

DaneC020

I'll definitely support you guys on kickstarter. I think this is one of the most professionally developed projects I have seen on the unity forums, but due to the team members I would expect no less. All of you show great pride in your work and are serious about game development. Without kickstarter, I am sure you will finish the product but with it, people like myself can throw a little extra your way to make it easier on the team which will make the product even better.

Either way, good luck and I can't wait to see more videos of gameplay.
    -Dane

PS: Love the intro music, suits the game.

21. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Wow, thanks for the kind words!! As you already stated, we are determined to finish this game but as you know we also have to take on other projects as development costs money. We definitely appreciate your thoughts and comments and hope you will spread the word once we go live on Kickstarter :) Thanks in advance mate!!

Thomas P.

22. galent

galent

Just had a look at the video, awesome work guys! Oh, and that music... d*mn you, now I'm going to have to break out my C64 emulator and play something old school (I've got a copy of BT - The crescent hawk's inception for C64 right here on my filing cabinet, if only I could find a place to put the 5 1/4 disks in this bloody Mac :) ).

Cheers!

23. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'd love to support you, but at the present time I cannot. So, as a replacement, I will say that I hope your project does well and you make lots of money. If you sell your game on a good platform too I will certainly buy the game.

24. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice cant wait to see more pictures!

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We will have a lot of goodies in the coming days, I'm trying my best with the team to prepare some video material of new art and gameplay -- as the old alpha vid was a bit empty and lacking! Hopefully people will dig that sierra-lucasarts-nintendo vibe going down!

26. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

27. redcap_old

redcap_old

I have been following this project for a long time. I intend to donate at the $15 mark, but would you mind talking to the community after the campaign about what you did to make a successful build up, campaign, and post campaign? For example, how did you correspond your efforts with indiegames.com, how did you get to the editors pick from day one, ect. Quality I believe is the most important factor, but you guys have had great pr for this project and I would be interested to know what is going on behind the scenes.

Making a game is easy. Making a good game is hard. Making a good game and having people know about it is a herculean task and you have accomplished it with such poise that I can't help but be very impressed.

:)

Best of luck, but I don't think luck will have anything to do with your success.

28. DaneC020

DaneC020

Donated, good luck guys. I am sure the game will be great. :D

-Dane

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@redcap - Thank you so very much for your kind words! We would love to share some insight with fellow Indie devs here! We hope that the Kickstarter campaign will result in a happy ending. It sure does take a LOT of effort to get the word out and sometimes you will run into people who hate your guts because you're talking about your game all the time lol. However, in order to spread the word you have to do quite a bit of PR and since we're not some big company we're doing it ourselves on the side (each day) next to working on the game and everything else.

@DaneC020 - Thank you VERY MUCH as well Sir! Greatly appreciated...would you mind telling your friends and family about it? :)

Thanks again guys,

Thomas P.

30. TomasRiker

TomasRiker

Looks fantastic! You got my support, I "donated" and posted about it in my own game development forum.

Somehow the brothers remind me of Beavis and Butt-Head. Am I the only one?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  31. n0mad

n0mad

Mario meets the Blues Brothers, awesome :)
    Keep it up guys ! Good luck !