Search Unity

The Other Brothers Kickstarter open discussion on tricks, tips and why KS can fail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Aug 10, 2012.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The beauty of hindsight is a joy to behold :)

2. Aguy

Aguy

Twit your game? It went from Tweet to twit? Crap I'm getting lost these days...

Famous people tweeting? So Will Smith, Kim Kardashian, or even Tyler Perry? :)
    Someone had to bring some levity to this thread.

I know the game is 8 bit but on the Kickstarter page it can be a bit hard to read on some screens, maybe use another font? Might turn some people away. If I was on my tablet I doubt I could read that. Or maybe just make the type bigger.

Hopefully this comes off as intended and not as a kick in the face.
    The $1000 pledge sounds bad to me. I know you're looking for support and all that but makes it sound more like begging than trying to help.

The pitch sounds more like helping you than helping the game.

That's what I get from it but I could be wrong.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's good feedback. I'm not personally in charge of the kickstarter or anything but if I'm to help the team, then I need to know what's wrong with it. There's been plenty of ideas discussed in the thread which offer up food for thought, which I am grateful for :)

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

well the only problem i can see is what is this?:

It looks like rewards for donations but then it doesn't match with the rewards from kickstarter side thingo(because it if GBP and kickstarter is in USD?) it said that i get a copy of the game if i only donate $5 but in the kickstarter it said that it is only for $15 and over? also it doesn't say currency?? that could be in anything maybe bells from Animal Crossing? cubic inches of dirt, how are we supposed to know what currency or even if it is money at all. it only shows that they are numbers?

And, now i look at it what about say 30-50? they just get nothing!?!?! It does not really make sense?

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

While this is an interesting read I'm not sure why a new thread was started for this instead of just keeping to this one.

You guys are nearly halfway through and are at less than half the needed amount. But everyone knows that Kickstarter pledges balloon at the beginning and at the end so why the "panic" at this point?

Anyway, in my opinion what this needs is "personality" from the other developers. Thomas is great, but I think there's a disconnect between this art style and Thomas' video presentation... it doesn't match up. Where's the wacky artist that made this cool world? Unless Bjorn is super shy I think he should make a video about his passion for this project.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Very good point, but Bjorn is taking a rest at the moment as running opus (his concept art business) and having two very energetic young kids and doing tob on the side is a bit tiring (similar story for all of us).

I like the art angle, and imho the main selling point of TOB is the great art so I will be sure to point this thread at the team when the time. IMHO we might still make the kickstarter but we need to do what you guys are suggesting as early as we can. Thanks again for the wonderful input.

The reason for a new thread is because this one specifically goes into what would make a kickstarter fail or succeed and uses ours as a case study for the forum, its a lot more useful than the existing thread which is more of an advertisement if you want my honest opinion. So this thread deserves to live for the knowledge it contains and clarity of it (very little signal to noise ratio).

7. Morning

Morning

Oww, this is bad. Unless this is an adventure game, art shouldn't be the main selling point. People want a game, not an interactive picture. This might explain why gameplay looks so bland, you're focusing on art way too much. Gameplay over graphics. That was the whole point of old school gaming. I advise focusing on gameplay a lot more so that people actually want to play this, not only look at it.
    Since today we have the power that we didn't have in the past, add some elements that were impossible back then.
    Does this have multiplayer, at least local? It has two bros, so why not coop. That's what I wanted in SMB when I played but all I got was taking turns.
    How long is the game?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

To answer questions in no specific order:

1. it has multiplayer already, and it is combative, you can fight each other if you want when they get in the way :) I wanted time to develop this even further with battle modes and sub games but only if KS is successful as it is time consuming. TOB is only truly experienced with two players.

2. the game is an hour long if you don't make mistakes for initial release: 3 mins per level, with 5 levels + 1 boss and 3 worlds. Due to the episodic nature this will get longer and longer. Again KS support means more content for all since it directly means less time surviving the real world.

3. game features powerups which are "game changers" giving you different abilities. Also each level has unique scripted content just for that level alone, which keeps things feeling fresh, for example unique behaviour or garbage compactors with giant pistons, or even an indiana jones esq escape sequence before you are crushed. There's a lot of good stuff in here, and we're just not showing it off well enough.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  9. Morning

Morning

That's cool, why was none of that showcased in the video presentation? I assume future episodes will be free, right?

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

But the style is the main draw here. It's what has put this game on the map in any significant way. It has a certain "hip factor" to it in the same vein as "Sword Sworcery" or "FEZ". Art and graphics matter a lot in games... otherwise you guys wouldn't spend countless hours arguing about the graphical merits of UDK vs CryEngine vs Unity (and good luck making this type of game in either of those other engines) ;-)

Yes, this does concern me as well. While at some points the platforming looks strong in other moments it looks completely disorganized with a dozen rats chasing the player in some equivalent of a platforming "button masher". If there is indeed more depth to this game, platforming, story, etc then it should probably be shown in an updated video.

Opinions like this are subjective and I hope the team doesn't fall into some trap of trying to appeal to everyone. For instance I hate co-op unless it's intrinsic to the game design, like a "Left 4 Dead", so frankensteining this into the game at this point probably wouldn't help (unless they have a cool idea for a co-op campaign).

Those who pledge $50 or more will get the extended version with 25% more filler ;-) - who cares how long the game is?

"Portal", "Journey", and "Sound Shapes" are some of the best games in recent history and they all clock in at around 2-3 hours. "Skyrim", a game I thoroughly enjoyed and spent 150 hours in, is definitely not better than any of the aforementioned games solely because of it's play time... in fact those 150 hours could probably be reduced to 5% of actual fulfilling content.

Sorry for the digression. I don't think this discussion should be too much about people's opinion of the game but rather a more general discussion about how to market something better to achieve the Kickstarter goal.

11. Morning

Morning

Graphics matter, but gameplay is what makes people stick. FEZ for example was just boring. It wasn't a bad game, it looked pretty but it was boring. I can replay skyrim or super mario bros a thousand times, yet I wouldn't touch FEZ again. Sword Sworcery was a different kind of game, it was a journey, an adventure. The gameplay in it was fleshed out and well done, they exactly knew what the game was about and so they made it like that. These games sold more than just an art style. The Other Brothers gets confused and can't decide if it's a platformer or adventure or an interactive painting. That is bad because advertising the game is much harder if you don't know what to advertise.

True, that's just a preference and an opinion. Coop was just an example. It could be some other thing that draws you in.

I personally do care how long the game is. Portal had portals and was an experiment. It had an excuse to not be super long. And it was cheap. Journey again was more of an interactive movie, and for about 2-3 hours, that's a good deal. A short game is not bad if you feel satisfied when you complete it. When I buy games, especially short games, I want them to either have a great story so that when I finish them I feel like I accomplished something. Or have replayability. I'm not saying Other Brothers don't have that, I'm saying we're never told what it has, that's the pitfall imo.

And since your title is "Unity artist", you might have a bias towards art :) (note the smiley, it means I'm not serious and you shouldn't pay attention to that)

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Good points Morning, except FEZ is indeed brilliant ;-P

Alright, no more digressions from me, back to TOB and why it hasn't rocketed into the stratosphere of other similar Kickstarter projects.

13. Morning

Morning

I think we've already found that out. Lack of advertising. I browse some gaming sites and I haven't seen a mention of this on any of them. I am wondering if the developers even advertised it outside of unity forums. I think it would reach the goal if more people actually knew about it.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thats where you guys come in though. The 4 of us working on TOB are burned out, bummed out and plain tired of work (but not tired of working on TOB). But too tired to effectively market. I think that illustrates more then ever, how prepared people must be before they do a KS. I'm hoping we still succeed but without you guys helping (the ones who want to help) we can't do it. Kotaku hasn't yet featured the KS but Joystiq did > http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/06/the-other-brothers-pays-homage-to-mario-bros-needs-to-be-pai/

15. Morning

Morning

You shouldn't depend on community that doesn't exist. You can pull off effortless advertising only when you're a big name in the industry. Being tired is not a good excuse, not until you got the money at least. If you need the money, slow down the development and boost advertising. There's a real chance to reach the goal so a week of less development won't hurt in the long run. Having dosh should motivate developers a lot more.

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

How hard have you guys pushed the multi-platform aspect of TOB? Do you have running threads on TouchArcade, PocketGamer, IndieDB, RPS, IndieGames, etc? What can you announce halfway through your KS campaign to reinvigorate the buzz? I just saw the updated video with Bjorn and his kids and the initial portion was great... but then it goes into this slick female voice talking about the project. How does that fit into this? It feels a bit sterile for this genre. Do something daring and unexpected. To me you're following the KS blueprint to a fault. Make something disruptive and viral that people will link to.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe you guys should consider adding an evangelist/marketer to your team. I have no idea how you find one, but I've been thinking about doing something like this for my game. There just don't seem to be enough hours in a day to market and develop...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  18. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

19. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

More to the point: you shouldn't focus your efforts to advertise a game on a community of game developers. Obviously there's overlap, but even those of us who are gamers aren't generally in the mindset to play games, or get excited about and discuss games, when we come here, so we won't be very receptive to being shown a game. Not to mention that the Unity community - once you take away the people who only ever visit the product help forums - is pretty small.

You should be posting about the KS on websites for gamers, not game developers. Hit up the big guys. Try some places to whom the retro pixel art will most appeal. And so on.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sweet suggestions superpig.

21. Khyrid

Khyrid

When people see the other bros, they will instantly think of the mario games. At that point if people don't see the things they loved from the mario games, then they may lose interest before finding out what your game is all about. Having a overworld where you can see the different levels of the game on the map and having various powerups that change your character's look and abilities would help to close that gap.

22. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Since Hippo said no punches pulled I'll go ahead and express my opinion . Most quality games on IOS and Android only cost 5$ max and 5$ is around what I can spend without thinking much about it , 15$ for the first game tier feels really steep . I really like Kickstarter projects that offer a little 1$ prize so everyone can back it . Like for Code Hero I ended up thinking I was only going to give 1$ , but then since they where good enough to give a copy of the game even for the 1$ pledge( and the fact that Code Hero is a project that helps the greater good, teach kids Javascript in a game !!) I ended up donating about 15$.

Another thing is to have humble goals , D Day Dice
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/d-day-dice-board-game?ref=category
    had a goal of 13k and raised 171,805$. The Other Brothers looks like an awesome game, but since most people outside of this forum don't know about it, its still pretty hard to raise 50k .

Just to put it out their if the Other Brothers supported IOS and Android at launch ( not sure why it doesn't right now ) AND had a 5$ game tier I could see it raising more money . Good luck guys, you still have plenty of time , when I backed Code Hero it was no where near its goal, and after I messaged the creator saying how cool it was he even admited he didn't think they'd hit 100k, but they did .

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'm actually a bit confused , why does the 15$ tier not mention Android ???

24. goat

goat

1. For the longest time as a kid if something on TV was black white I wouldn't watch it. Boring! So how many people aren't going to play a purposely pixelated game that doesn't have the old time credentials?

2. I think you shouldn't have asked for $50,000. That sounds as if you want us to pay for the development of a very risky venture. I've said this before and others will deny KickStarter in the tech sector at least is nothing more than another outlet to advertise. If you are Ouja and have the money to create a really big advertising buzz good for you. If you are unknown and unfunded Other Brothers you'd best shoot for creating the appearance of a popular thumbs-up for your game / project to heighten your chances of getting on the various 'Featured App' pages with a more modest $10,000 funding. It looks like you would have made that, even without the $5000 one individual threw in.

3. The game itself was still early but the scale of the characters seemed too small in places. It's too dark on the screen.

4. You'll get a little notoriety on these boards and that will help some but face it: the game is going to have to be very fun and you're going to have to be very lucky to get it noticed. So come up with a strategy to get on the Featured Apps Sections. Kickstarter could have helped alot in that regard I think but there are other avenues. Don't waste your time with spammy pop-up app review sites.

5. Don't waste your time reading 'business strategy and marketing strategy': the best strategy is your own behaviour and the behaviour of you neighbors and their kids. All they googling for the best new apps? Of course not: if it's not at the top of one of those app lists your app probably isn't going to make a lot money. I just watched one company make a pretty nice effort,adjust along the way and for any of us we'd be like yeah! But I asked and they said it failed but they are reworking some quirks and will re-market it later. As it was already a featured app so I don't know if it is possible for them to be a featured app again (wasn't made with Unity).

6. Make the best game you can and if you honestly have fun playing it chances are many others will as well. Then as part of your marketing campaign go a KickStarter with a goal of $10,000 and hope you get there. If you don't you are likely to hurt your chances of getting on one of the Featured App pages. So you may want to rename and rebrand your failed KickStarter app to reinvigorate your chances of being featured. Hey, every bankrupted and criminal company in America has done that so why not you? You're not an Enron, you just asked for too much funding on Kickstarter. Sometimes a name change can help a lot.

7. I don't care how good you are at programming, art creation, music creation, or whatever is involved in creating a game. Call yourself the top-notch professional on all the planet. Thing is: your game is art. That's all it is. And as art think 'starving artist' don't think Michelangelo, daVinci, van Gogh (who I think the term 'starving artist' was apt through out his life despite his fame now).

8. Be glad that Unity 4.0 will make it easier to use Unity to create games and apps faster than ever: Bob Ross was no van Gogh but he lived a much pleasanter a life than van Gogh did.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's a valid point isn't it? it is easy to distribute an APK, right?

26. stereosound

stereosound

Yeah, seems the only thing you can't give away is an iOS port

27. voncarp

voncarp

The issue might have more to do with the overall sentiment people are having towards Kickstarter than the presentation of your project. After the initial Kickstarter craze, it seems like its flooded with projects from aspiring artists who may be legitimate or not. When there is the appearance of free money involved, with no obligation, thats going to happen. People may be resenting that and these projects are looking up to an individuals yearly salary and could be thinking, "Why should they get that? I could use that type of money to fund a project?" Or, if Kickstarter didn't exist,"were you going to complete the project anyways?" Who knows what the users are thinking these days. Currently, high profile or niche projects seem to be the most heavily funded.

I chipped in a few pennies a while back, not because I'm really interested in the project (I'm not keen on sidescrollers), but because of your efforts and contributions in helping people in this community, including myself. I wish you success.

Here is an opinion I found on the most recent post on the Toucharcade Forums by Diablohead in regards to TOB "Does EVERY GAME need a kickstarter these days? seesh." But, its probably directed more towards developers in general.

28. superpig

superpig

Interestingly, that post has now vanished.

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What did the blog say?

30. superpig

superpig

It was a post by Unity's asset store manager, Caitlyn, basically promoting TOB and Shadowrun Online.

Someone in the comments was complaining about favouritism/nepotism (as one of the TOB devs is a community moderator), and while Caitlyn initially responded by linking to a bunch of other projects as well, I'm guessing that she changed her mind about it being OK and took it down completely.

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It was decided that it wasn't completely fair to everyone else from what I can see, which is a shame. I hope we have unity's support because we are supporting unity especially at the high profile gui/2D angle that is coming up. We are also heavily promoting unity 4 for linux support to the linux communities as well.

http://linuxgamenews.com/post/28382...ckstarter-game-looking-to-make-a#.UCjnGZ3N-PU

Thanks for the support so far everyone :)

32. n0mad

n0mad

Hippo, I salute your honesty and sense of responsibility with this thread.
    Good luck to you guys, the indie world is crowded with brilliant projects, requiring more and more supernatural qualities to stand up from the mass.
    Just don't give up. When you fall, rise. Then rise again. Then again, restless.
    Continue to work on making TOB something unique, fun awesome. Hype will build upon itself soon enough.
    ;-)

edit : unfortunately, we have to admit the videogame scene is overcrowded with projects (AAA, indies, etc), so the usual videogame enthusiast has to make some choices, and share his "hypebar" with a few projects he likes. This means competing with the high end. So either you compete on the graphical side (the AAA studios pit), either on the brilliant gameplay side (the Indies pit).
    Capitalize on gameplay features, be completely crazy with your ideas, find some totally blasting stuff that cracks you up, even when just thinking about it. Especially when the crazy mood is already set with those awesome graphics you have, gameplay should follow.
    Why don't you try the "spend a whole night getting drunk around a gameplay brainstorming session" method ? :p

___

TL;DR :

what I'd love to find myself yelling, while playing in such cool crazy sceneries :

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

yep we need beer powerups. I get than now! :D thank you for your kind comment btw.

34. Demigiant

Demigiant

Seeing you said HONEST NO PUNCHES PULLED, another thing I'd like to add (apart the valid suggestions given by others), is to remember that getting funded on Kickstarter doesn't only mean having a good project, but also having a good attitude. Not only on Kickstarter, but everywhere. Since (as I already mentioned on that late Unity blog post) people are giving money to you as much as to your project.

Personally, I funded and tweeted about TOB immediately because I liked the graphics and I like you, hippo. But when I read the rough/pointlessly-teasing way you and Thomas answered Z (the guy who mentioned favoritism/nepotism, rather politely in my opinion) on that blog, even after he mentioned that he was a TOB backer, I felt completely alienated by the whole project. You could/should have just ignored him, or proven him wrong, or showed why you actually deserved some favoritism, or else. Instead you went another, bad, way. Why, I wondered, should I back people that just behaved in a way I didn't like?

Please note, I'm saying this in a constructive way, just to note that, unless you have an absolute masterpiece in development, and you can prove its worth to your backers (not saying TOB is not good, just that it obviously doesn't appear - yet - as something that will redefine gaming experience), you should always be polite - which doesn't mean complacent - because your character is half (at least) of what backers will be willing to back.

That said, good luck with TOB, I still think you might reach the goal.

35. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

A curious aspect, may simply be the sheer number of "Mario-esque" games out there...retro platformers, tribute platformers, clones, et al.

A search at Google Play for: Super Mario Bros :returns more than a couple of handfuls of games. For iOS, there's even articles discussing the best alternatives.

So it gets into, does this game fill a missing need? Not really, the market's full of them. So then it gets into what sets this one apart from the others, so that even if you had bought one of the others - you'd want to buy this one or if you hadn't bought one yet, you'd want to buy this one.

36. Rico21745

Rico21745

To kind of kick in why I personally was never interested in TOB:

There are too many games trying to cash in on nostalgia these days. So many games rely on the whole 8 bit craze and use it as a crutch, to the point where I am personally quite sick of it. 8 bit art was both a technical and an artistic limitation back in the day, most video games did in fact have to rely on programmer art because there was no other kind back in the day.

Let me share with you, imho, an indie game "done right" that uses a technically limited art style to great success:
    http://www.zombox.net/

Now if you look at Zombox, you'll see that the focus is squarely on the gameplay. The art is what it is due to necessity, but even then, the way its presented has its own kind of charm.

When I look at TOB, it just sort of feels like it misses what the KS page says it sets out to do. It talks a lot about old school gameplay, but then you mention cinematics, plot, and all this other stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with old school platforming. Old school platformers were hard, had varied gameplay, and were actually pretty long (not one hour playthroughs). I'll go ahead and say that the focus is just way too squarely put on the art, that while its nice to look at, is not why I personally play games for.

There are too many indie devs looking to retropixel styles and thinking that's the avenue to success. Imho, Indies should be bringing games back to their roots, or pushing the envelope where big name publishers cannot: Gameplay.

Not every game needs a story. Not every game needs cinematics.

This is me being brutally honest here, like I said, I think you guys would do a lot better in your efforts if you stopped being driven by your art style and made gameplay take the driver's seat.

Edit:

Regarding kickstarter, I think its a bit overused. There are far too many teams looking to get their living expenses paid for them. This is fine if you're a big name studio with a proven track record looking to break out of your chains, but you may want to consider the fact that maybe people just aren't willing to shell out 15+ dollars to "pre-buy" the game when they have no idea what it'll be like at the end, from an unknown developer. I think that if you guys looked towards using KS to enhance the work, rather than say "we need more iPads, look, our artists only have *1* super expensive Apple machine to do work on, he needs at least 2, one for each hand!"

I don't know about you guys, but I work full time to pay the bills, then come home and spend hours upon hours working on my game. I may down the line consider KS, but only to pay for things like licensing, extra assets like audio, and networking costs. Nothing really considering it as an avenue of supporting myself, as I just don't see the fairness of making other people pay me for doing the work I enjoy. KS is to help you fund the project when otherwise you would be unable to, not to secure early sales and cover all your living expenses. Its honestly incredibly hard for me to find a reason to pay someone's living expenses, when they have a nice Apple desktop machine, and I see them drawing stuff on an iPad in the video asking for money.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

38. Morning

Morning

39. iTon

iTon

When i opened a kickstarter page i saw pixels. A lot of pixels. Which instantly killed the interest for me.
    I guess that a lot of ppl feel the same way. Not everyone wants the pixels back. When i think about my childhood, playing Snes, atari and one of the first gameboys, i dont remember mario being a collection of squares. I remember a colorful plummer in a colorful world on my TV, jumping on mushrooms and avoiding turtles.
    I dont remember a squared chicked that tryed to avoid rectangular "cars" to get on the other side. I remember a very busy highway and a crazy bird.
    I am actually someone who touched the pixelated age. Imagine all those backers who never had that. Why would they want to "bring back pixels" (which ive heard several times in the video) for 15 bucks.
    Just my thought

Edit : Rico21745 nailed it
    Edit 2: Update looks neat though

40. DavidB

DavidB

@Hippo

That update definitely gives a much better glimpse into the game. I was rooting for you guys because the project was a legit shot at something, after this update, I'm now excited for the game :D

This is where the audience divides I suppose. A game cannot be all things to all people. I personally love their use of pixel-style graphics. This alone doesn't sell a game for me (the gameplay is primary), but their graphical style was almost certainly the reason I was watching this game. As odd as it sounds, but if this game was cartoon-3d or even approaching AAA photo-realism, I don't think I'd be that interested. For instance Rochard, which I'm sure is an incredible game that many people love, just never quite caught my eye. Again, different folks different strokes I guess. But from the last update that TOB gave on their KS page, it doesn't seem like this is another pixel based game for the sake of being a pixel based game. There are some interesting gameplay elements that they're putting together, and it should lead to some exciting results. Would still love to see a demo! :p

41. superpig

superpig

Generally good update, I think.
    While that's generally true, it's important to remember that while showing people sub-par graphics can mar the image of the game, showing them stuff that is obviously totally placeholder tends not to because they just ignore it. It's like a kind of screenshot 'uncanny valley' effect. Valve, for example, build their initial level designs just using blank orange and grey textures - beyond this being helpful for design (the textures have markers for player's jump height, sizes of objects, etc), it's unlikely that people will look at shots of those levels and think 'the texture artists are crap!'

As such, the pencil sketches and MSPaint-esque flow diagrams you've got up there are very good - communicating ideas about level design and moment-to-moment gameplay without committing you to anything in particular.

I see the text on the main KS page has been updated too. It's definitely an improvement, though I'm not sure about saying "what 8-bit games could have been" - it comes across as kinda arrogant / dismissive of those games, and you don't want to do that if you're trying to appeal to fans of those games. Moreover, the vast majority of gamers are not interested in the technology, so saying that you're doing an 8-bit game "with modern technology" isn't really any more compelling than just saying that you're doing an 8-bit game. If you want to contrast old and new, make it about gameplay, not tech - about "combining modern gameplay with classic retro style."

Story overview is muuuuch better now. I'd change "traverse junkyards, cities, sewers, and more" to a mixture of actions, like "traverse sewers, battle mobsters, blow up elephants, eat candyfloss - and more" so that it sounds more like you've got varied gameplay than just the same gameplay against different backdrops.

I still don't like that narrow pixel font. At least increase the kerning or something.

Saying "purchase additional licenses" and then talking about Linux users will make people wtf because you don't need a license for Linux.

42. DaneC020

DaneC020

A lot of my feelings have already been expressed throughout this thread so I will keep the post short and sweet. I feel somewhat guilty since I suggested/supported you guys to do the Kickstarter route but I still feel it is a good approach for this project regardless of the outcome. Currently there is still a lot of hope that TOB will be successfully funded since many of the Kickstarter projects I’ve backed/watched have gone through this phase. Normally they tend to start off with a decent amount of success and then taper off until the very last week. During that last week you have everyone who was “on the fence” about supporting the project making their contributions. Those of us who supported it in the earlier stages start to get nervous and push all the social sites.

As for what I didn’t like about the campaign:
    1. The female voice over on the videos didn’t have much emotion/interest in her voice. This made me not excited even though I am quite excited about the product. I didn’t get to hear the catchy music and see the game play that made me smile.

2. I was hoping to see more updates from the TOB team during the campaign. I have received roughly 2-3 times as many updates from other projects I am backing compared to this campaign. The updates aren’t all substantial, but it is just giving a little more insight on what is going on with the team. The updates might be a screenshot of something never seen before, letting us know to keep an eye for a new video coming up, sharing a piece of the story, or asking opinions on what we would like to see. It is just a reminder that the project is still there and these things help me to remember mentioning the project to my friends.

3. I want to get to know the team members. Where did they start in the industry or what lead them to want to make this product. Family shots are nice but hearing from team members the reasoning why they felt they needed to make the project makes me passionate about the product. If I can feel the passion for developing games come from someone, it makes me have a little more trust in the team. The current voice over separates me from the “indie” feel of the team. I go to Kickstarter to fund others like myself, not a corporate company. When I feel a project is coming from a large company that really could survive without my funding, I won’t back it. This may be my personal preference, but I wouldn’t back the Ouya, Shadowrun, ect because those companies could make the product without crowd funding.​

So this post is a lot longer than I thought it was going to be but hopefully I haven’t been too vague about anything. In the end this is all just the opinions of one man and I am not sure if they are 100% valid, but they are what I have been trying to gather from my own research. Some other projects I have funded below are listed with the amount of updates if you are curious and want to check out some of the things they are doing to keep the campaign alive.

Legends of Aethereus (20 Updates)
    Embers of Caerus (20 Updates)
    Lilly Looking Through (13 Updates)

Good luck guys and don’t give up yet! :)
    -Dane

43. iTon

iTon

You know what would feel like pixelart with modern technology? If each pixel was a carefully designed image, with high dpi and soft corners. So at first sight, you would clearly see that the image is pixelated, but when looking closely, noticing round edges, good color selection, high resolution etc. Not limited by technology but inspired by loose pixel design.
    Ive never been a fan on minecraft, as its basic design is to use as low poly meshes as possible. But then people started to draw soft edge flash animations with rich color and high poly models that preserve the exact same shape, and suddenly i fell in love with the style.
    (soft drawing of a square creeper http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/349/0/b/creeper_hugs__by_killahamsta-d34x9aw.png)

Anyway, are u guys rebooting kickstarter if the goal is not reached?

44. mada

mada

+1

45. Artificial

Artificial

1.) 5$
    2.) Sell them seperately
    3.) You're joking, right?
    4.) That seems reasonable
    5.) A bit overpriced
    6.) NO.
    7.) Wth? It's the developers developing, not the players.

46. actuallystarky

actuallystarky

As an ios game player who is absolutely desperate for a good Mario-style platformer, I have to politely disagree.

There are a number of Mario clones sitting high in the iOS charts but none that I could find even hit the quality bar of the original Super Mario Brothers. "Lep's World" has been stubbornly persisting in the top 50 spot for Arcade despite being decidedly average. "Super Marik" (which was recently forced to change it's name) was sitting right beside it despite having an average 1.5 star rating.

I think there is a huge crowd waiting for a high-quality Mario-style game, I think it's just a question of convincing people that ToB is the one they've been waiting for.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  47. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

You didn't disagree. You agreed. There are other Mario-esque games, in order for TOB to sell...people have to believe it gives them something compared to the others.

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What I think, is instead of valuing a game at a per copie basis if it was though of that there was an overall value of the game, like say $1,000,000 or something like that then i don't see why it is such a problem how the game makes that amount of money like say selling 1,000,000 copies at $1 or 1 copie at $1,000,000 so even though one copie is only $1 the value of the total game is still just as valuable(if not more due to it having a larger playerbase and say the one person doesent like it they wont buy the sequil for another $1,000,000 were most likely people dont care about $1 and would just spend it without caring) as the $1,000,000 game.

This could be applied to The Other Brothers in the same way because honnestly noone would pay such a large sum for a IOS or Android game, no matter how good it is, but aslong as the game is better then the compeditors games and then everyother game on its teir then everyone will buy it due to it seemingly beeing a bargin so say at 99c lots of people would buy it because it is better then the other crap for sale, but at $15 it is starting to come into the realm of "WTF am i Bill Gates or something?" it would be like a console game costing $300 because it is so out of the ordanary even though if it was soemthing else like say a game console it is acceptable (And if people really wanted to they could proboly afford that) but because it is so out of the ordanary for a IOS game to cost that much people will feal ripped off.
    (I have no idea if that makes sence or not?)
    (Posted form school with no spell check but when i get home ill edit it to fix it :D)

49. actuallystarky

actuallystarky

Ah touche. :)

To clarify - I disagree with your assertion that ToB does not fill "a missing need". I believe that while there are a number of Mario clones, none of them have filled the need for a quality mario style platformer.

50. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I actually look forward to buying TOB if its 5$ on android , but 15$ to back you guys and get the game is a little steep, ....