Search Unity

"The Nightmare from Outspace": prototype and KS campaign

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by The_Domaginarium, Oct 20, 2015.

1. The_Domaginarium

The_Domaginarium

Hello all,

I just wanted to share our new project with you. The Nightmare from Outspace is a lovecraftian (cosmic) horror, but it uses gameplay elements of exploration and platforming.

Around 80% of what you see there was completely done with PlayMaker (everything except UI management). I mention that because some people can find coding intimidating, and because PlayMaker is available in the Asset Store.

Here's the link (downloadable prototype available): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedomaginarium/the-nightmare-from-outspace-pc-game

We believe the project is interesting because, even if it's a cosmic horror game, it will not rely on the usual gameplay mechanics (run, walk, interact) because we want it to have a gameplay that is more similar to "metroidvania" games, where you slowly unlock the entire world, and Tomb Raider games, where you do all sorts of jumps and stuff.

I hope you find the game interesting. If you have questions, comments, let me know. Also, please share the link with everyone you know, since we've had a very slow start :-/

Greetings from El Salvador

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Sykoo

Sykoo

Please post pictures/videos/screenshots in your thread.

3. The_Domaginarium

The_Domaginarium

Sorry about that. Added the images D:

Sykoo likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Interesting concept.
    It looks like the character (and the enemy in the new image) suffers from a nasty case of very plastic looking shader/material.
    If the character shader is supposed to look like shiny latex, it would improve the look by breaking it up with shiny and matte areas. For instance - if the black detailing on the suit had a different specular and glossiness setting compared to the dark grey areas it would improve the illusion of super shiny latex material.
    The monster just needs maps controlling the glossiness and would look better with normal mapping and roughness detail. At this point it just looks like super high gloss that is supposed to be faked wetness - maybe.
    As for the character animations they look marginally acceptable but still need a couple more animator passes to look good. The animations for the jump to wall clinging and the poses and animations for the wall climbing all - are pretty unbelievable. The missing ingredient for all those animations is weight transformation and follow through when the character hits the poses. If you'd like additional detailed description for this I can oblige, but you might not require additional details.

Overall I think the concept is interesting and looks like its going to have some mysteriously fun gameplay. But if the attention to detail isn't given in spades - this might fall short of being as good as it can be.

5. The_Domaginarium

The_Domaginarium

For the creature, we plan to use maps to control where it looks wet and where it looks more dry.
    As for the outfit, it has some details like that, but they are only visible when you're closer. There are areas that look like dirty metal, others that look like rusty metal, but we can make the differences more noticeable.

The animations were done mostly to get a playable build ready. They need a lot of work, and I'm actually considering getting one of these https://neuronmocap.com/ so we can mocap the animations for the character. One of the guys has a friend that does gymnastics, so we could mocap her, I think.

Thanks for posting.

theANMATOR2b likes this.