Search Unity

The New Terrain System Questions

Discussion in 'World Building' started by N1warhead, Oct 10, 2018.

1. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Most of the API should be available for runtime usage but the painting tools themselves are Editor-only

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

i can look into it. we definitely want this for environment but if it's easy we might be able to get that into terrain tools as well if we deem that as something we have the resources for. that will probably be a while from now though

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks!

I think it should pretty easy with the new input system, just connect the variable of the pen to the variable of the brush.

5. ArthurForst

ArthurForst

Is it possible to use the mask map of the terrain layers in the standard shader / the builtin render pipeline?
    I'd like to implement some form of heightmaps, in general add more information to my textures.
    Declaring samplers like _Mask0 and such does not seem to do the trick (Unity 2019.2.17) and the documentation only says that I can use it https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TerrainLayer.html but not how.

6. MrG

MrG

Any updates on these items?

Also I noticed the addition of a Split tool, and would like to request the option to have each tile go into its own scene (no lights or camera, just the terrain and associated data).

7. MrG

MrG

Is there a GitHub someplace for the Terrain Tools preview package where we can report bugs?

Please don't send me here, as that's clearly abandoned.

The visualization tool trashed the material on 81 terrain tiles and flooded out with errors. Glad it was a copy.

8. ArthurForst

ArthurForst

I need to correct myself on that, with unity 2019.2 accessing the maps does work using the following declarations:

Code (CSharp):
    2. sampler2D _Mask0, _Mask1, _Mask2, _Mask3;
    3. uniform float4 _Mask0_ST, _Mask1_ST, _Mask2_ST, _Mask3_ST;
    Splendid.

9. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Not a public one. You'll have to report the bug through the normal channels. I think we have the visualization shader issue tracked but I will double-check. Which SRP are you using?

I dont believe we've gotten around to your other requests.

10. gilley033

gilley033

@wyattt_

Any chance you can take a look at this thread? https://forum.unity.com/threads/force-editor-to-release-memory.884761/#post-5817898

I have an editor tool that is creating terrains from external heightmap/alphamap files. I create the terrains in the scene, create prefabs from them in the assets folder, and then delete the terrains in the scene using DestroyImmediate. I then call UnloadUnusedAssetsImmediate and GC.Collect, but some memory is not being freed this way and the memory of the editor keeps growing and growing as the tool creates more terrain prefabs.

I have tracked it to some kind of texture issue, as the issue only is present when creating an alphamap for each terrain, i.e, if I create a heightmap but not an alhpamap the memory does not increase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.