Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

The New Terrain System Questions

Discussion in 'World Building' started by N1warhead, Oct 10, 2018.

1. dadude123

dadude123

Awesome!!
    This made my day.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Hi all - cleaned up thread so it's relevant to OP. If you have specific questions that aren't related to what the OP discussed please use a new thread.

3. sqallpl

sqallpl

@ChrisTchou ,

Hi,

Can we expect any updates in this area in 2019.1 or 2019.2?

Even a 'simple' update for terrain objects that would allow to use custom prefabs (same like for terrain trees already) and expose settings like using terrain angle (instead of no 'up vector rotation') would be great as a starting point.

At the moment it's possible to somehow use 'terrain trees layer' for objects/detail/grass but it has few flaws.

The smallest brush radius is quite big, It's not possible to use terrain angle for rotation (which is usually necessary for grass and detail), it's not possible to mix multiple prefabs at once when painting (same as for tress but in case of grass/detail it's very useful) and NavMesh baking process treat everything in this layer as trees.

It could be much more advanced off course and I'm sure you have a lot of nice features planned. I'm just thinking about basic stuff at the moment - some basic set of features that would allow users to use terrain system for grass/detail/debris/bushes/etc.

Any answer would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.

4. transat

transat

How do I copy all the textures/layers from one terrain to another? Copying and pasting the component seems to bug out as it copies more than just the layers. I'm using 2018.3b11

5. Liuska

Liuska

Hi, it's great news that you are working on updating the terrain system because that's something we've really been struggling with for a long time. Just wondering if there are any plans for adding occlusion culling support for terrain trees? What about any other performance upgrades? Adding support for GPU instancing is great but unfortunately it's not supported on the oldest devices our product needs to run on.