Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The new terrain doesn't work and crashes Unity

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by ElnuDev, Oct 29, 2018.

1. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

Well, I've been having issues with the new terrain. No matter how much I put the opacity down on the raise/lower terrain brush, I always get results like the following, and Unity has crashed three times when dealing with terrain, both in the editor and in the player. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. syscrusher

syscrusher

A colleague and I replicated this problem reliably, and we also submitted a bug report. In our experience it seems (possibly) to be related to Terrain Layers, but we also observed one crash where TLs were not being edited. That crash happened as the inspector window opened for a Terrain object.

EDIT: I'll contact my colleague to get the report ID number. We aren't in geographic proximity, so I'll need to email her for that info.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    ElnuDev likes this.
  4. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

@syscrusher I didn't get the chance to submit a bug report, so I'm happy to hear you and your colleague did so and were able to replicate my issue. Are you on Linux, by the way?

5. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm trying to be. Part of my day job involves being a Linux consultant, and part of it involves leading a team of Linux sysadmins. I run all three major operating systems in their applicable areas. If I had my choice, I'd go Linux full time for everything, but not all the tools I need are native to Linux yet.

ElnuDev likes this.
  6. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

I feel the same way about Linux. By the way, I've been having an issue with
    Input.GetAxis
    and the arrow keys in 2018.3.0b7 on Ubuntu, are you having similar issues? Thanks!

7. syscrusher

syscrusher

I haven't been testing the beta on Linux yet. My colleague is working in a sandbox learning project, so she had the luxury of playing with the beta. I'm trying to finish a cinematic render project and haven't had time to do more than just passingly touch the beta this time. My colleague runs only Windows right now, so that's where she's testing the beta.

ElnuDev likes this.
  8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Did he reply?

9. syscrusher

syscrusher

She. I'll see if I can get her to post directly here. I honestly may have forgotten to ask yet -- I have been absolutely buried with a customer-facing project this past week and have barely had time to make coffee. :)

10. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

Long thread. One month anniversary today. :eek:

11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Is this still an issue in b12? Quite a few fixes addressing terrain related crashes made it into 2018.3 since this was posted.

ElnuDev likes this.
  12. syscrusher

syscrusher

I saw the updates on the thread yesterday, and I'm planning to download b12 over the weekend and see if the issue still replicates for me. :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  13. syscrusher

syscrusher

BTW, big props to the Unity folks for including Beta versions in the allowed downloads for Unity Hub, instead of just the official releases. This makes it so much easier to track the rapid release cycles of the Betas.

LeonhardP likes this.
  14. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

I'll look into it after Ludum Dare 43