Search Unity

The new spriteatlas always change make the version control conflict very easyly.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by watsonsong, Sep 12, 2017.

1. watsonsong

watsonsong

The spriteatlas in 2017 is good for the artist pipeline. But it met some problem in daily usage.
    When I create a spriteatlas, and specify the folders it need to pack. But the spriteatlas not just store the folder, but also the GUID of each sprite in the folder.
    So when I commit this spriteatlas onto the version control system, and the other two people add different image to this folder, the spriteatlas will different in the two person's computer. When they commit they work without touch any about the spriteatlas, the spriteatlas will make conflict.
    It really make the work pipeline hard, and we consider to drawback to the sprite tag solution.
    Is there any way to resolve this?

2. ykurokawa

ykurokawa

Unity Technologies

Is the conflict like this?
    ======
    - Hash: 9c993de5b783baff11adfa162e2984ab
    + Hash: ddcb887be55d6403f1baafd598828e22

- hashString: 9c993de5b783baff11adfa162e2984ab
    + hashString: ddcb887be55d6403f1baafd598828e22
    ======

The "Hash" is calculated when the spriteatlas is packed.
    If each of you work on same target platform and same OS( Editor is running) , there is no problem.

However working on different target platform or different OS( Editor is running) , different "Hash" will be generated.

> Is there any way to resolve this?

The simple way is changing the Sprite Packer Mode to None.spriteatlas won't be packed , and won't conflict...
    ( *plaese turn on when you build packages or assetbundles)

3. watsonsong

watsonsong

Yes I met this conflect. So I can not Always Enabled in Sprite Packer Mode, but using Only Enabled For Building.
    But this result I can not see the correct draw call for my game, as the ugui will not combine drawcall anymore. The the performance for render and ugui rebuild is not correct in editor mode.

4. Neil-Kemojo-Martin

Neil-Kemojo-Martin

Is there any plan to make the hash OS agnostic?
    Our team works on both Mac and PC and our version control is reporting the hash changes even though logically nothing has changed. This means we have to diff check every .spriteatlas to determine if it is a true change or an overzealous hash change (no logical change).

5. TimHeijden

TimHeijden

How is it possible that this system got released in such a state? Why would it even be built like that to start with? EVERYONE works with a VCS, this pretty much makes your system completely incompatible. The "legacy" system has worked perfectly fine and pretty much everything else unity does is stored in the library folder, why is this different?

In my opinion, this should be #1 priority to fix over anything else that has to do with this system, because it breaks workflow! If it's not fixable quickly, I would suggest moving this feature back to EXPERIMENTAL and remove "legacy" from the old system.

6. GroundCombo

GroundCombo

Yeah, this is a major pain for cross-platform work and leads to a lot of dancing around git. A more transparent solution would be very much appreciated.

7. DarekRusin

DarekRusin

I just stumbled upon this issue after converting to Unity 2017.1.2. This triggers constant problems with version control conflicts and makes it painful to use even for a solo dev on multiple platforms. Is there any plan to fix this soon?

Overall, I'm astonished how unusable the whole Sprite Atlas is. This was a big reason for my switch to 2017.1, but right now it's been nothing but a let down.

* variants are broken, at least on mobile devices, because they insist on simply scaling the main texture down, as is, without considering the NPOT issues, so this is one of the errors in result: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...eir-scale-with-target-platform-set-to-android

* asset bundles with variants seems to be not working properly either: https://forum.unity.com/threads/new...t-bundles-not-playing-nicely-together.484366/ and also https://forum.unity.com/threads/correct-way-to-use-sprite-atlases.485416/#post-3172474

* and now this problem with hashes annoying the hell out of git :)

I'm keeping fingers crossed for this feature to eventually become usable. It sounds quite good, on paper.

8. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

I think this is fixed in 2017.1.2p3, 2017.2.0p4, 2017.3.0b11, 2018.1.0a5

9. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

We are in Unity 2017.3.1f1 and still experience this problem!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. watsonsong

watsonsong

Hi, @JakeTurner , I think this problem happen again when we use the Unity2018.2, but we mix use the different beta version, such as I am using the Unity2018.2b11, and the other guys use the Unity2018.2b7.
    The spriteatlas file always change when we cooperation~

11. gyungmun

gyungmun

It seemed to be a Unity bug and I fixed it arbitrarily. Please bring this code if you need it.

Assets / Editor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  12. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Sorry for long delay. The forum notifications didn't work for me for some reason.

Is this still a problem for you on 2018.2 release versions

13. MetaDOS

MetaDOS

I can confirm this issue still exists in 2018.2.18f1

14. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Thank you. Please can you report it as a bug so we can track it and reproduce it.

15. KevinGelking

KevinGelking

It's actually still a problem in 2019.2.8f1, too. I don't think this was ever fixed.

ArthurAulicino likes this.
  16. any_user

any_user

@JakeTurner Still occurs in 2018.4 and 2019.2.8. Is there an issue reported about this?

17. kyuskoj

kyuskoj

Still occurs in 2019.3.0b8.

18. PSchaussPlaya

PSchaussPlaya

Also occurs in 2018.4.11f1 (LTS)

19. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

This happens whenever the platform changes or when building, which means "all the time". :) It's annoying and for us it started happening in our project after upgrading to Unity 2019 (2019.2.11f1 currently). We had never seen this problem on 2017 (we skipped 2018).

@JakeTurner, is the team aware of this? Might have been a regression, or maybe it is a different but similar problem.

20. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

We are also struggeling a bit with the new spriteatlas system. My question ist on whats the best practice to deal with the atlas in git.

- So whenever i make a "build" the files get dirty, since they get repacked and re-hashed... But thats NOT something another developer needs, so i´d like to ignore the actual files in git.
    - But the settings are also stored in the same files, and that IS an Information i´d like to share and check in

21. mansonet

mansonet

Same issue here, for us started happening right after we move to 2018.4.11f1

22. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

I´d recommend seperating the setup from the actual files. In this way one could check-in the setup files and ignore the atlases in git

23. Serotonindude

Serotonindude

is this ever going to be fixed? ^^

24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity staff asked in this thread to submit a bug-report, which would allow them to take a look at the issue. If nobody submitted a bug report, it is probably not fixed. Thus, if you are able to reproduce the problem, please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

sp-LeventeLajtai likes this.