Search Unity

The new Prefab workflow is a confused convoluted total mess

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SGFX, Mar 16, 2019.

1. SGFX

SGFX

I don't know what happens there but you need to do a revision on this with a
    real user experience designer. You cant keep letting programmers do User experience work.

The new Prefab workflow is a total mess. Its not intuitive at the slightest.
    I design user interfaces for a living and I cant seem to figure out anything about how it is supposed
    to work. Constant dependency errors, unpacking, packing, new preview scenes and back, I still don't understand a thing. Where do I save? Why is copying things throwing constant errors? Why is it so hard to make a prefab that works?

Its so confused and unnecessary convoluted and complex, full of errors, poorly visually explained, just awful start to end.

Usually I would give constructive feedback as someone who does user experience design but I don't even know where to begin.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's very intuitive if you don't try and use it like the old prefab system, but the UX is getting a spit-and-polish job they're going to be showing off at GDC apparently.

3. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

I actually really love the new system! The only things wich is a bit tedious is when you want to delete a child of a prefab you can't do it in the scene and apply changes but have to go into the prefab itself. This kinda breaks a bit the workflow because other things you can do in the scene.

But when ignoring this issue i think ist is really good and way better then before - especially now with nested prefabs!

I think you should really report specific bugs... when you don't know where to start take the first bug which occurs when you open unity and work with your prefab! Only being mad doesnt help anybody.

Peter77 and angrypenguin like this.
  4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It depends on the programmer, I'm a programmer that takes UX seriously. But sure most don't