Search Unity

The new package manager system isn't good enough.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by vProject, Aug 11, 2018.

1. vProject

vProject

The idea behind it is great, modular parts to the engine that you can switch on and off depending on what your project needs, but the quality and disparity between some of the modules is really bad, borderline unusable.

I will give 3 examples, that I have faced just today.

1. Text Mesh Pro had a verified version released on the package manager. It throws 36 errors when installed, I tried it in the Unity version released earlier today, still broken.

2. The LWRP comes with the SRP, Shadergraph and PP stack built into it. Yet there is nosing of this in the package manager, infact the opposite is true, it tells you there are updates available for the built in modules (SRP, SG, PP), but updating them results in errors.This has been the case for well over a month.

3. The LWRP, the SRP Core and the Shadergraph are all on version 3.0, but when clicking the documentation or changelog, it says version 3.0 can't be found for all of them. You have to go to github to manually check versioning and if theres even up to date documentation. It really shouldn't be this tricky.

This is not experimental or beta, this is the live version that customers are trying to use, and it's currently very poor quality. Can you atleast make sure anything being pushed to the package manager, especially as verified, works properly.

Additionally, when upgrading to 2018.2.3 (And randomly sometimes in all 2018.x), I lost every single editor icon I have assign in every scene, I know that's not package manager related, but it is a serious issue.