Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The new "Hold on" dialog box interrupts my train of thoughts

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by TheElumenati, Nov 14, 2020.

1. TheElumenati

TheElumenati

I feel like a total heavy breathing nerd, complaining about something so trivial but I feel strongly about this. I am sure that other people have commented on this, but I wanted to add my perspective.

The new "Hold on" dialog box in "2020.2.0b11.3484 beta" interrupts my train of thoughts.
    Imagine the state of the developer's brain when they press play:

When you press play you are thinking about your project and are expecting to see it start, but then the "Hold on dialog box pops up and interrupts your thoughts.

Also, it feels a lot slower, I haven't timed it. But basically, even if it is faster and its some sort of mind trick, it feels slower. Like my train of through has now been broken into two segments rather than one continuous smooth mental flow of transitioning from edit mode to play mode. Which in my opinion is bad because the amount of time that is truly lost from "interrupted train of thought" is much more than the microseconds gained.

it would be much nicer if it just didn't even show up or if it was more like the lightmap progresses bar (off to the status bar instead of a modal box).

Finally, if you have a code breakpoint set up on Awake or OnEnable the dialog box gets input focus and your eye moves to the dialog box instead of the breakpoint(which should activate the code editor window), so it's really disruptive. You are left staring at the "Hold on" dialog box waiting for it to go away, but you don't see what REALLY should have captured your attention: the breakpoint activating the code editor window.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    MrPaparoz and manpower13 like this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Have you tried to set
    Busy Progress Delay
    to a higher number? You can find this option under
    Edit > Preferences > General

upload_2020-11-14_8-32-28.png

junaid109, JoNax97 and florianhanke like this.
  3. TheElumenati

TheElumenati

that definitely helps!
    But I still get "Reloading script assemblies":
    This dialog box pops up immediately even if you have a 20 second busy progress delay.
    upload_2020-11-15_0-47-55.png