Search Unity

the new GUI.ModalWindow -- how to use it?!

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Millipede, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Millipede

Millipede

Hi there,

Does anyone have any information about the newly added GUI.ModalWindow, added in 4.1.2?

The docs are bare. In the release notes it mentions being able to open a modal window who's events are sand boxed so that other sources can't listen into input events. It's sounds great, I'm just not sure how to use it. It sounds perfect for a situation I have with a client who is concerned about security and figured I can use it for my login form.

So is this what the window is intended for? and how to do go about adding buttons and labels to the window? I can see how you can push in a single piece of GUIContent, but how would add multiple and position them??

Thanks

2. dkozar

dkozar

Modal means that other elements in the app don't react to mouse clicks when the window is poped-up. With other frameworks, this is usually accompanied with the greyish background over the whole screen (but behind the window) just to indicate that nothing else that a window would respond to mouse events.

It has nothing to do with security.

3. Millipede

Millipede

Hi there... thanks for the response, to elaborate on what I meant about security is that it prevents any 3rd party libraries of code from listening in to input events which in effect increases the security of a login form. The modal aspect of the window isn't so much something that I need, but more so the sandboxed input that comes with it. However the part I'm unable to figure out is how to use this modal window to present some custom forms and my own content. Some documentation or examples in the docs would be brilliant!!

4. SlyRipper

SlyRipper

Look for "Window" the modalwindow ist just a new form with some additional stuff like dkozar mentioned, other GUI elements will be blocked so a button next to the ModalWindow wont work.

This ModalWindow is nothing really new, you can use it as you use a normal Window function. Search the docs for it :)

5. Millipede

Millipede

Hey... thanks for that! It's so obvious now, I hadn't thought that the modal window was a similar to or extending the GUI.Window class, which is another class I didn't notice existed. The docs definitely need some attention on the new modal window class, there's nothing there at all. For anyone looking for the docs mentioned above, here they are:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/GUI.Window.html

Thanks again!