Search Unity

The mysteries of life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LightSource, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightSource

LightSource

Anyone ever walk outside and wonder how the universe can support so many polys?

2. Dabeh

Dabeh

I have once wondered how the Universe can process so much, but this mostly a result of a drug-like induced stasis from playing too much Dwarf Fortress.

RockoDyne likes this.
  3. movra

movra

It's when I try to replicate physical phenomenons in a digital environment that I truly learn to appreciate the fidelity of nature.

landon912, Braza and angrypenguin like this.
  4. drewradley

drewradley

LOD and culling obviously. The real question is how can it support so many users!

zombiegorilla and Eks-Squared like this.
  5. LightSource

LightSource

+1. Once I found myself standing outside in a parking lot on a rainy night appreciating the lighting. Those real time reflections really blow my mind.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Braza likes this.
  6. yaapelsinko

yaapelsinko

Well, the servers are really powerful, however, even universe uses optimizations like limited attempts count for collision solving (which causes gravitational collapse phenomenon), or local timeframe/speed limit, which ensures that no collider will go trough another collider.

7. yaapelsinko

yaapelsinko

...not to mention that time slowing around massive objects or when moving near the lightspeed probably caused by higher local cpu load, which means slower simulation speed (and causes time effects as timeframe is probably fixed).

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It's because when you go outside, the Universe unloads the inside of your house from memory, such that it ceases to exist.

Acissathar likes this.
  9. Dabeh

Dabeh

Whoa....deep.

10. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

quantum processing

11. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

If the universe were of infinite size, then the sky would be infinitely bright:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olbers%27_paradox

Therefore, simulation would be possible on a computer, though it would be quite a large computer. I'm sure whoever programmed the computer made smart usage of LoD effects :)

12. LightSource

LightSource

And no GUI too! The universe is all about immersion.

13. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Life's purpose is not to be alone. To find it's origin you have to be truly alone.

14. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Actually the secret is there are a massive number of clients (think each atomic particle and go up from there), with some input and feedback, but one authoritative server with the final say.:D

15. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

But who programmed the authoritative server? Didn't think about that, did ya!?

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Need iap for the sun, etc. Expansion pack for outdoors is too expensive.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  17. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I'm not high enough level to enter the outdoors, even though I paid for the expansion.

Eks-Squared and Deleted User like this.
  18. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Well, the concepts of "time", "before", "after", "beginning" and "end" are created and completely defined by the server which exists outside these concepts (since it defined them). Clients realities and comprehension of this is completely limited, everything happens between login and logout and their understanding of time is limited to this. They simply cannot comprehend "forever before" and "forever after". There just isn't a need to share this concept with the server. In the current system, the clients don't need to be aware of the server environment, "time", or whatever, they just need access to the server through predefined means.

So the server exists, and isn't limited by its created concepts of time and beginning/end, which the clients and their ability to perceive are completely limited by. Trying to gather server environment information is simply not possible unless the server provides that information. No more than a computer program can actually "see" or understand what is happening at the electron level of the microprocessor running the program.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  19. ippdev

ippdev

It has an actual framerate of somewhere over trillion of times per second. We have about 60-120 frames per second brain rendering unless using some substance enhancement or amplification.

20. Velo222

Velo222

No. A game developer does not simply walk outside. The eyes need time to adjust.

21. triLight

triLight

I guess the world runs in Unity: you know with a lot of servers and high-end supercomputers. Although to think about it would be Unreal. I mean to maintain the temperature of such a system the temperatures would have to be cool enough to give you Frostbyte. But for all we know life could be a game and you only have one life unless you have hacks. Though when we die, our brains are microwaved so we'll never know.

22. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Curved Earth shaders to lower rendering. Occulsion culling. Bad eyesights to be able to sneak in some low quality textures. One large core (center of Earth) to process things. Weather particle systems to hide the LOD levels. Mountains so we don't see as far. Just the usual things to render so many polys / textures.

23. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

4 words: Really good physics engine.

24. randomperson42

randomperson42

"And no GUI too! The universe is all about immersion."
    No, it's just because we're still waiting for Unity's new GUI to come out. The current one is just so inefficient...

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  25. Corbal

Corbal

Yea, easy to find those enhancements on the asset store.
    Sadly it tends to cause crashes and fatal error :/

26. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I died.

Deleted User likes this.
  27. Eks-Squared

Eks-Squared

LOL!

28. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

This "discussion" reminds me of GameBox 1.0 the movie. I wouldn't post this but the above poster pulled it out from the grave already.

I'd say the awesome physics is the best part of the simulation. It is somewhat easy to get the lifelike rendering, but add on one hell of a physics engine and our computers slow to a crawl, but not the one that is the Matrix :)

29. LightSource

LightSource

Haha, are we calling the universe "the simulation" now? Game dev humor, love it.

30. Whippets

Whippets

Worryingly close to observation

31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

While I admire the physical and graphical fidelity, some of the game play elements are poorly designed. For example you have to be at least level 2 before you can unlock the achievement 'potty training'.

Then once you hit level 60 or 70 your abilities actually start reducing as you gain levels. What's with that?

kburkhart84 likes this.
  32. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

wtf!! that Olbers' paradox is just stupid haha , i get the idea, but the size of stars soo far away is insignificant size to be seen from the distance, obviously... also, what about blackholes? , but i guess blackholes were not a widely known thing at that time.. also, something to do with, if you use a microscope to look across the room... light bending, obstruction, .. space is not an absolute vacuum either, the particles that are there over all that distance create a cloud that occludes the light aswell

... it seems obvious to me there is atoms that create stuctures, and likewise planetary/star objects create structures.. makes me wonder if some day, like, a disturbance is made to our galaxy.. or even larger structure, likewise as how we make a friction while walking or something...
    .. i mean, the view from the perspective of a quark (or whatever) would be the same as we to outer space. ... this is common knowledge right? .. and i guess time is relative to size ?

.. i dont know a whole lot about these things but yeah

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  33. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I think it sucks that there still are no undos and no save states!

kburkhart84 and Whippets like this.
  34. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

... yeah.. fking lazy devs ...

Whippets likes this.
  35. ippdev

ippdev

Potty training is is a skillset to be acquired by those NPC's that spawned you. If you hit level 70 and your abilities are severely reduced that means you have not collected and consumed the higher level powerups during your various quests..or have not participated to fully in the quests available.

36. Samuel411

Samuel411

The programmer who made the game we live in really did a good job. I bet he/she/it updated their computer when the population boomed and allowed for more users to be connected. The art sucks though, so fake.

Whippets likes this.
  37. Whippets

Whippets

Agreed, I've seen cloudscapes that no one would believe were real. So fake.

Braza likes this.
  38. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

Not any of this explains why the coffee is always gone when you need it.

39. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

If we can go philosophical here, it's actually quite interesting that there's a serious "simulated universe theorie" out there, that has a hard time to be disproven.
    We would not know if we were ever reset to an earlier point, or some variables were changed by some adminitstrators.
    Either with a reset our knowledge would be gone that we were further than we are, or we would simply accept it as normal because that's our reality.
    Bugs? Maybe sometimes when people claim something paranormal to be happening. :D

And going by the title: "the mysteries of life"
    Anyone here noticed that we're not even aware of what "life" actually is? like what in particular.
    Like bacteria is said to be living, even though what it does is mostly, if not totally based on natural reactions based on how itself is built. Biological viruses are said to be non living things, even though they act on their own somehow, too, and inject RNA it carries somewhere else.
    So then we have the human body consisting of bacteria and living cells, and so we are a living being made out of living beings, made out of dead matter, that all just reacts strictly to their structure, buliding some proteins and stuff?
    So is there even "life"?:eek:

I'll leave you with this, I've spent way too much time with this, good evening. :p

Braza likes this.
  40. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The universe will never dip below infinite frames per second no matter what happens. The same can be said about dreams. A few billion people all running their own universe simulation at night with a countless number of polygons and physics nightmares... and still never a drop in performance or quality in either the universe or dreams.

Probably not :p It is probably the case that even human life is nothing but a series of complex reactions to their environment. The question is... will realizing this change the outcome, or is the point in time in which we acknowledge it already determined?

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

The balancing system does that. As you get more skilled in collecting coffee powerups difficulty increases automatically to keep you interested in playing more.

42. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Not a fan of the outside's lighting model, way too much bloom and HDR.

43. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

I heard it's running in Unreal Engine 4

44. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Interesting thread because jokes aside, the universe 'we perceive ' is 3D. Game technology is attempting to get closer and closer to reality yet all the indications are that the 3D worlds we create with engines like Unity are in fact real. I mean, how could they exist if they weren't real? They invoke emotions and effect our behaviour so hanging on to the tenuous thought that 'this is just a game' is not actually going to help alter the reality of a game's nature.
    Outside of a game we play we live in another game which we play and it is holographic and 3D in nature. The 'Level of Detail' is determined by the amount of imaginative attention we give it, which is determined by the human collective mind.
    Everything we see in the Physical, including games, is a creation of mind.

45. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

That's because every human has a quantum computer between their ears.

Guess what dreams actually are tho? distributed processing. That's why they are always vague. Ever wondered why sometimes you wake up and remember dreams, and sometimes you dont? Cache hasnt finished being deleted before you get an interrupt and wake up.

Im a big fan of the physics engine. Much realism! The fluid dynamics alone are amazing.

46. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Its interesting how really low level particle activity can turn into high-level behaviors like physics collisions and rebounds and all that.

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I think the most amazing feature is the AI system. Pathfinding is a bit buggy, but the dialogues are so real! Almost all the NPC's can pass the Turing test.

Kiwasi likes this.
  48. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I remember my dreams most (>99.7%) of the time. And usually it's the same dream. My dreams kind of all stem from the same location.

Not to mention the laws of physics are changed dynamically and can be applied with different variables to arbitrary, variable size quadrants of space.

49. delinx32

delinx32

Meh, none of you exist. The universe only has to process what I can see. Simplifies the problem considerably. Sucks for the rest of you imaginary AIs though.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

So is the internet a chunk loader?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.