Search Unity

The Mixamo Auto-Rigger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mixamo, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Mixamo

Mixamo

"Mixamo would like to announce that The Auto-Rigger is now free for any mesh under 10,000 triangles."

This is an amazing free option that can be beneficial to 3D Artists beginner and advanced.

Check it out here: http://www.mixamo.com/c/auto-rigger

2. Amon

Amon

Great stuff! :)

[edit]Wait, Can we rig, preview and save without purchasing anything? It seems a bit misleading what you say in your OP and what it states on the site.

3. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

I have tried it and it seems like you can rig, but you have to buy the animations? I could be wrong but I think they should at least have walk/run/idle free or something, but it doesn't seem like they do.

And if you can't get the simple animations without paying, what is the point of rigging the model....

Edit: Can't you basically rig any character for free with the Mixamo built in store for Unity, it auto rigs any character mesh you put in there.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. Mixamo

Mixamo

Amon,

Hello I just wanted to clarify and answer your question. You absolutely do not have to buy the animations to download your character. At the end of the rigging process there is a link to "buy" your character which will of course be free. You also have the option to log in to your Mixamo account, click on the "Characters" tab and then click on the "manage your characters" link. Where you will be directed to a list of all uploaded or purchased characters and animations, and then download your asset from that menu.

I hope this information has helped. At Mixamo we want to prevent any confusion. If you have any questions we have a wonderful technical support team that can be reached at support@mixamo.com

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for your excitement about our products and services.

-Mixamo

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. Darkoo

Darkoo

I am guessing there is some miss-information here? Tried the steps and always get to a checkout slide where it costs 79$ to download the rigged model with no animation. Also in the "my characters" tab you are faced with this text "Click here to activate your account for free autorig trials!" that makes it pretty clear that auto rigging is not free!?

btw, having tried the auto rigging I got to say modeling a character in a animation friendly way and posing the character in the correct way gives very good rigging result!! this is an awesome system and a time saver. Skinning a character can be so hard at times.

edit: hm I just noticed this was a very old thread.. might be why auto rigging costs now days.. :S

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. lazygunn

lazygunn

Its a pity if it costs now, i really enjoyed mixamo's free rigging it was very useful and effective for rough results.

7. TheSin

TheSin

Its still free as far as i can see on my account.

8. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

9. lazygunn

lazygunn

Logging in shows nothing but if the limit of 2 stands then that is very lame, pretty miserly if theyre still charging for under 10k models, bit disappointed

I suppose i'll find an alternative somewhere, or even go crazy and rig my models properly

10. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

That sucks. I guess you can just keep signing up for more free accounts but its a pain in the ass. Any recommendations for alternatives? I'd be happy to pay for a good auto rigging utility but I'm not going to pay for every bloody character.

11. lazygunn

lazygunn

funny enough i never found a piece of software that did what mixamo did, its slightly bizarre actually i think.. does anyone have a better idea?

12. Archania

Archania

You can always learn how to rig yourself.

13. lazygunn

lazygunn

In time limited situations, thats just a no go, when mixamo rigs will to the job perfectly fine for the occasion

Noones going to release a game with a mixamo rigged model (i hope, its great but it still, objectively, looks stupid as S***), but when youre trying to just get something moving then mixamo was great! Rig in mixamo, find a nice animation (like say, animations you got with your kinect, again noones gonna realase a bf game with kinectr mocap but when its time critical....) and retarget it, job done, prototype ready for hopefully some solid approval

Mixamo have now completely F***ed that and im finding it more obnoxious the longer i think about it. Youve got five weeks, you dont have enough hours in a day, youre meant to spend an hour or two of mindless work rigging your model in an entirely crappily way, when mixamo can do it crappily in a few seconds and you can spend precious time where your intelligence is actually needed. Im guessing they wanted to make money ut of mobile devs by removing the under 10k polys for free thing, but how miserly! Well they do themselves in, people will rig or write rigging scripts in maxscript or mel, people will be happy with the strong animation editing tools i a system like mechanim to extract something useful from the most bodged mocap so noones going sink money into the mixamo store when mixamo was always just a comfort home for the time challenged.. bugger them. Maybe they'll have a market like, say, marlin does (the 3d content creators), the users are vogons

14. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

As stated auto riggers are great for testing models before you are ready to finalize it. I'd be happy to pay for a utility but paying Mixamo for every model revision would get pretty nuts even for people with deep pockets (it wouldn't be long before you'd be better off going all in for the $1500 so maybe that's the idea).

15. ungr

ungr

I recently noticed the change with mixamo too, and for the price you could pay yourself quite a bit an hour by using other alternatives to mixamo. I have been using the autorigger, and it was nice to get my game started, but by no means was I planning on using it for final rigging.

One option I found was Quidam, but I think they are out of business. With this software you basically line up a prebuilt skeleton to your mesh and run the autorigger, and then make some minor adjustments to the skinning weights.

The other option I have found is called Jimmy Rig. This option I have not tried yet, but I plan on giving it a try since it looks promising. You can find a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrA7mgtf-T4 and the website is here: http://www.origamidigital.com/typolight/index.php/home.html The cost is $150 for the lite version, and $300 for the Pro version.

16. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Checked out a bit of the Jimmy Rig stuff, is it still in development?

17. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I now remembered this is a Maximo thread, which I had forgotten, sorry.
    I did try one of the models on the Maximo site some time ago and bought the animation but never received it.
    I did send an email but didn't hear back.

18. toto2003

toto2003

sadly it s over now :(
    " The Auto-Rigger is now free for any mesh under 10,000 triangles."

19. Stefano Corazza

Stefano Corazza

We had to end the "free under 10k polys" policy as we need to make some money but we have release free scripts for rig creation:
    http://www.mixamo.com/auto-rigger

Also if you use Fuse wwww.mixamo.com/fuse you can rig and download a character every week for free.

The Mixamo Team

20. lmbarns

lmbarns

So charging $10 or $20 a pop and making it worthwhile for just about everyone wouldn't make you money? $79 per is expensive for some people in various countries, and $120+/mo for your yearly deal is only good for artists who would use the crap out of it to justify the investment...not for here and there stuff :(

But hey you must be raking in the money since going from free to $79....

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't checked out your site for a while, but how's the content library for Fuse?

I've got an animation-only subscription with you guys. I'd happily expand that to a full subscription if I was confident that Fuse could do what I needed. Alas, the only thing I can try is your demo, and that's so restricted in terms of content that it really tells me nothing. Aside from that there's just a list with names of assets, but it tells me nothing about what things like (from memory) "Shoes 2" actually is. Thumbnails would be a great start. I'm not going to spend another chunk of cash with you guys without being confident that I won't have to also spend money with an artist to get what I need.

(I understand that for a full project I'd probably need to do that anyway. I'm willing to make compromises for my demo project, but there are still minimum requirements I want to achieve.)