Search Unity

The Mars Exploration Engine

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AdamH, Dec 8, 2011.

1. AdamH

AdamH

Howdy folks. I'm a bit of a space geek and I wanted to do something with the incredible Mars data NASA have collected, so I built the Mars Exploration Engine. It allows you to explore terrain datasets collected by the HiRISE instrument aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. I'm adding more datasets as time goes on, so the value of the software will (I hope) increase over time. You can grab the free demo or purchase the application at my download page. Right now it's a mere $5, and that gives you access to all datasets, in perpetuity. After I move out of beta and have a better judge of bandwidth consumption patterns, I will likely be raising the price to at least the $10 to $15 range.

Here is a screenshot showing the terrain where the Mars Science Laboratory rover Curiosity will be exploring when it lands in August of 2012 (with toggleable toolbar):

I still consider it to be in beta, so let me know if you have any problems.

Just a reminder: You can see some low res terrain for free with my little Halloween themed Mars game at http://www.mannedmissions.com/LastMartianHarvest/LastMartianHarvest.html.

Cheers!
    Adam H.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. runner

runner

can we check out the location of Opportunity?

3. AdamH

AdamH

runner,

There is a small terrain dataset for a portion of Opportunity's traversal and I can make that available. I don't think, however, that the full area of Opportunity's exploration has been covered.

You can, however, see all of Spirit's traversal area with one of the datasets I've processed: DTEEC_001513 (should be the third one from the left in the main menu).

In fact, you can see Spirit's parachute, back shell, landing platform, and I think you can just make out the rover itself (although it's just at the limit of resolution).

4. AdamH

AdamH

Also, you can view the Phoenix Lander's landing site in dataset DTEPC_008591 (the last dataset on the main menu). That one landed on the North Polar Cap.

5. unitydevist

unitydevist

Does this still exist? it sounds awesome.

6. Rombie

Rombie

Main webpage is inactive and developer hasn't been seen for sometime.
    "@AdamH was last seen May 23, 2012".

7. Mars80

Mars80