Search Unity

The Last Martian Harvest

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AdamH, Oct 30, 2011.

1. AdamH

AdamH

Hey folks,

Happy Halloween from Mars! I just posted my first web-based Unity project. I call it 'The Last Martian Harvest'. Still ironing out bugs as they pop up, but have a look and let me know if you have any problems: http://www.mannedmissions.com/LastMartianHarvest

Cheers,
    Adam H.

2. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I like it. The controls are a bit strange to get used to. Also, the new rovers get stuck in the ground. Other than those two criticisms, it's very fun.

3. AdamH

AdamH

It does require a bit of dexterity. I'm open to suggestions re: controls. I consider the rover's getting stuck in the ground a feature, not a bug. The reason is, if you spawn a rover below the ground, you can sometimes launch it into amusing trajectories. Not really part of the game, but it's a bit of amusement that I didn't want to exclude.

Besides, if you get your rover stuck, you can always blow it up!

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Maybe switch the camera and rover controls. Most people are used to controlling the character with WASD.

5. AdamH

AdamH

You're right, but the problem is most people use WASD with their left hand, and if you've got most of your digits on the WASD keys, it's hard to reach to the right to control anything else. Whereas with my setup -- with middle, ring, and index digits on TFGH -- it's pretty easy to reach to the left with your little finger to control the camera.

Still, food for thought. Thanks much!

6. AdamH

AdamH

After some more feedback and some thinkin' on it, I've gone ahead and removed the need to control the camera with WASD. The rover is now controlled by the WASD keys; no more TFGH. I think I was just attached to some control code I had from a previous project. Hard to let go, sometimes.