Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The last Hazzar for the Built In Shaders? A question for the resident Unity Shader Wizards!

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by brn, Apr 30, 2018.

1. brn

brn

Firstly I really like the direction Unity is taking on the Scriptable Render Pipeline. I cant wait to get into it properly on a large project once its had a chance to mature a little and the HD Pipeline /Shader Graph tool are more out of the box compatible. I'm another developer that would love to see a Unity sanctioned method for Surface Shader like abstraction in the future :)

In the meantime though will the Built In Shaders stay relatively unchanged?
    I've nudged the built in shaders ( deferred rendering) on our project to support a unified lighting solution with SSS, proper double sided lighting, and multi layered surfaces and mixing triplanar projections in various spaces. Effectively aiming to achieve the same types of goals as the tasty HD pipline.

On the surface though, "cough, killer pun" I've pushed the old system as far as I can while maintaining reasonable compatibility with each Unity engine version.

So the big question being..... Is 2018 the last revision for the built in shaders? If so I'll throw all thoughts of future compatibility issues out the door go for broke.

PS a mature HD pipline cant come soon enough :D

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agree, but last I heard from staff is builtin is in maintenance mode that is, there will be no new changes only fixes (Also HD is unbelievably good, what I want!)

brn likes this.