Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Games The Last Cohort (PC, RTS)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by DrewMelton, Jul 19, 2019.

1. DrewMelton

DrewMelton

This game is a solo project that I've been working on for some time. It will be my first "real" game.

It's difficult to say how long I've been working on it since it is an evolution of an older game I was toying with when I was just learning, and I was also spending time learning (learning programming c#, getting better at 3d, texturing, game design, etc.).

I'd say it has about 3 or 4 years of development time. I did contract out the music, some sound effects, and an illustration, but I created everything else myself. The only assets I use are for shaders (water, fog of war, etc.) or for functionality like the mini-map or the save game features. I created my assets (characters, animations, buildings, props) in Modo and Substance Painter.

This game was inspired by older RTS games like Age of Empires 2. My original intent was more of a defense-focused game, sort of like a tower defense style game but with realtime gameplay. However, my love for RTS games kept pushing it towards a full RTS game. It does have some elements of defense like the game Stronghold, but also some objectives that require you to explore and wipe out some enemies.

I tried to keep it simple and keep the scope in check. It has taken longer than I wanted, but I think the extra development time has given me a chance to improve my skills. My next game won't take as long now that I'm better at it.

In order to keep it manageable for a solo project, I simplified some aspects of RTS games. I put a greater focus on individual units rather than large armies, for example. I wanted to stand out by creating a unique rule-set and putting in things that you don't normally see in an RTS game that focuses on large battles and building a full civilization.

The enemies do not build a civilization alongside you. I probably never would have gotten the project finished trying to program that. Instead, I set up the enemy bases already, and enemies are spawned from outside the map to attack your base on a regular basis. So, the game mixes defense and offense.

I also put an emphasis on being able to walk anywhere. You can tell an archer to walk up stairs and stand on a tower for example. This will not only keep him safer since the enemy will have to walk up the stairs to get him, but he will get an attack bonus for being up there.

Anyway, here is a screenshot. It's still a few months out from a release date, so not everything is finished. However, it has enough done to start showing it off more now, and you can get a good idea of what to expect.

the last cohort rts game.jpg

I'm primarily an artist, so I tried to play to my strengths as much as possible. I've only been learning programming for a couple of years give or take, but I've been doing art my whole life. Although, I only just started learning 3d a few years ago.

Here is a video that shows some of the animations and a bit of combat. Note that this is a developer build. The resource gathering and whatnot are just still being programmed. I just wanted enough so that I could record a video of everything in action.

Let me know what you think, and let me know if you have any questions! I didn't want this post to get too long. I'll be talking more about the details as I go.

Oh, and I do release demos from time to time in my Facebook group in my sig. I may start posting the demos here as well. Expect a new demo in a month or two.

2. Zarconis

Zarconis

Very impressive, especially for a solo project I'm surprised there isn't more attention. One thing that did seem a little off though, an enemy walked into your village and most of them stood their twiddling.

3. DrewMelton

DrewMelton

Thanks! And yeah, this video was sort of a setup to show off the animations and some basic stuff. I am still working on the AI. For the most part, I want them to stay at their post so an area remains guarded. However, I have other attack stances that allows them to pursue an enemy a short ways, and then maybe return to their post, but I'm still working on all of that. There will be 3 stances will different levels of aggression: stand ground (do not pursue), defensive stance (pursue a short ways), and aggressive (pursue forever).

Anyway, the next demo will fully show off the AI and combat. I am going to be beefing all that up and tweaking everything. I have a lot to do, but I want to get the demo out by September.

I think this forum has too many posts from assets, so the games keep getting buried. Most replies to threads I see are of the thread creator and not actual discussions. I really think this forum needs to be rearranged a bit or something.

But anyway, let me know if anyone has any more comments or questions. I'm happy to answer.

hellstorm and Zarconis like this.
unityunity