Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Intergalactic Trashman - PROJECT DISCONTINUED

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Chemaxmax, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

We're rebuilding the space (mainly, the graphics), and some of the mechanics. The radial gravity has been improved in order to support irregular surfaces. Thereby, the main character can walk over asteroids or deformed planets and, of course, he now can jump over the surface of a planet, or between planets. A preview of the new appearance:

TonyNowak and NomadKing like this.
  2. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

A new awesome special attack! It won't kill instantly, it's only to make this gif awesome :cool:

NomadKing likes this.
  3. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Hi! Today we want to show you some improvements in the planet jumping mechanic. As you can see in the gif, Kepler (the main character) has a blue trail (actually, a ghosting trail), and he maintains some amount of inertia when he enters in a new atmosphere (in the first version, the character stopped just before doing the flip). We think that this improvements give more dinamism to the mechanic, and currently we're in talks about the possibility of adding a new attack from above like in the platform part (the previous gif that we showed).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. srmojuze

srmojuze

Wonderful :)

5. MBRogers

MBRogers

Really love this!

Anyway I did some fan art of your main character. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    SAOTA, Kellyrayj and NomadKing like this.
  6. Schneider21

Schneider21

Very cute style. Everything seems to be coming along nicely. I'll be keeping my eye on this!

7. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Thank you all :D

@MBRogers It's awesome! :eek: Kepler (the red guy) looks mature and mighty. Feel free to do as many fan arts as you wish.

8. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

This is what the new techno-medieval stages look now!

NomadKing likes this.
  9. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

New planets surface!

NomadKing likes this.
  10. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Be careful with that laser trap :D

Kellyrayj and NomadKing like this.
  11. Trollpants

Trollpants

Solid mechanics, lovely art style, vibrant animations and an innterresting IP. I think you guys may come a long way with this.

What platforms are you releasing on? Pc only?

12. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Thank you @Trollpants :) Initially, we'll release the game on Windows/Mac/Linux but we want to release it on other platforms. It'll depend on the goals achieved in the kickstarter campaign.

Kellyrayj and Trollpants like this.
  13. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

This is looking great!

14. Trollpants

Trollpants

What other platforms? Console?
    If you decide to release it on mobile or want to make a mobile game in the future, and want to add leaderboards, achievements etc. you can check out CloudOnce: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/cl...-achievements-leaderboards-cloud-data.308759/

15. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Thank you @Bridin :)

Console, of course. You need a gamepad to play this game, there's a lot of buttons :D In addition, the game is to heavy to run on a smartphone.

16. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

This screenshot belongs to one sequence of our future trailer. In this trailer sequence Kepler must avoid the rising lava. This scene has a heat distortion, it's why it looks twisted :D

NomadKing likes this.
  17. Trollpants

Trollpants

Well, GTA 3 runs on smartphones ;)

But then again, it's a 10-year anniversary edition....

Chemaxmax likes this.
  18. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Cowboys from hell are taking over this town! :cool:

This is the guy that is trying to chase Kepler's spaceship :D

19. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Love it.

Chemaxmax likes this.
  20. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Jelly Mechs must die!

21. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

We've taken this screenshot from one of the cutscenes we've made for the trailer :D

22. NomadKing

NomadKing

He's not gonna make it!

*dramatic sounds*

Chemaxmax likes this.
  23. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Hi!
    We want your opinion about a Kickstarter matter. We’re thinking about not including physical rewards on ‘The Intergalactic Trashman’ Kickstarter. Why? Because the shipment here in Spain is illogically expensive so without physical rewards we'll be able to reduce our main goal limit and increase our success probability. We know that we can produce the physical rewards in the US for example, but we want to control every aspect of the process in order to avoid possible problems with you.

What do you think?

24. NomadKing

NomadKing

I have zero experience with kickstarter from a dev point of view, but putting myself in the shoes of potential backer, I would say that as long as a backers feels they are getting something worth the price they are paying, it shouldn't matter if it's physical or digital / in-game. Naturally, this may be harder to achieve for any 'high' price tiers you set.

What sort of rewards are you thinking off offering? Bonus levels? Character Skins?

25. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I agree with you. About the rewards, we've thought offering wallpapers, the OST, an artbook, digital diorama (ready to print and assemble), beta access, exclusive in-game items, special Kepler's skin, exclusive weapons, digital poster, access to exclusive stages, guide with game secrets and easter eggs, design or name a NPC, design or name a NPC with a basic mission (collect five boar's tusks), collaborate in the design of a final boss...

26. NomadKing

NomadKing

They all sound pretty good - the digital diorama sounds like an interesting idea :)

My only comment would be to be careful with rewarding things that people consider to be 'content'. Most people will be ok with cosmetic items like character skins, but when it comes to levels or stages, you may leave people feeling they have 'less' of the game because they couldn't afford a certain price tier or bought the game after the KS campaign.

Chemaxmax likes this.
  27. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

You're right. We'll avoid that sort of rewards. When we finished the trailer we'll talk again about rewards and I'll post them to hear your opinion (we need to increase the success probability of the KS campaign, jeje).

We've posted a screenshot of this lava stage days ago. Here you have an animated gif of it!

NomadKing likes this.
  28. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Deal with it!

29. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

shades need to drop down at the end on him! xD.

So good to see this project still going strong, always nice to see updates on such a nicely styled game!

Chemaxmax likes this.
  30. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Thanks for your comment @gwubgwub :D

It's an evil bug xD I guess something related with the draw order.

31. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Check this jungle stage. We get a different look playing with the fog and the ambient light.

gwubgwub, TonyNowak and NomadKing like this.
  32. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Looks lovely. The only thing I might suggest is to make the vines in the foreground a slightly different shade to the playable area so it's easier to distinguish that they're not interactive. The parallax effect is good for when you're moving, but when you're still there's really no way to tell them apart from the playable area.

33. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

All of this looks fantastic, been following for some time, great work guys!

34. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

@Ronald_McScotland @TonyNowak Thanks for your comments :)

I didn't realize it but you're right. This gif has been taken from the trailer we've making so it doesn't matter but we'll keep it in mind when we'll make a playable stage :D

35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

...Aka. PRICELESS!!! :)

Looking good BTW! :) Love the main character! :)

Chemaxmax likes this.
  36. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Yes :D But we want this situation to change, we'll soon launch a KS campaign!

TonyNowak likes this.
  37. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Backed. lol

Chemaxmax likes this.
  38. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Kepler can jump between planets, but if the target planet is far away, he can use the jumping platforms to change his direction and re-propel himself. The mechanic is pretty simple: initially you jump from a planet with the planetary jump button, and as soon as you reach a jumping platform, you can see a noticeable 'bullet time' (chromatic aberration, increased zoom, etc), and if you press again the planetary jump button, Kepler will be propelled to the next jumping platform (if exists), or the target planet.

NomadKing likes this.
  39. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Here you are the KS trailer! What do you think?

And here you are the Kickstarter project draft (reward images are provisional, we've to draw them).

Please, give us feedback without mercy.​

40. NomadKing

NomadKing

Congrats on reaching this point. :)

So I've watched the trailer and it's great! Gameplay looks polished. Cutscenes look good. Overall, it builds nicely and gives a good feel of what the game would be like to play. Good job on that.

The KS page also looks good. I haven't read through it all yet, but the reward tiers look good - there's some nice variety in the rewards and the 4ever / Producer packs seem like an interesting idea. Nice to see that you managed to work a few physical rewards into the higher tiers as well.

Personally, I would consider losing the 'Wallpaper pack'. Reward tiers on a game project that don't feature a copy of the game just confuse me. If someone likes your game, they'll want a copy of it! You could always increase the supply on the early bird packs if you're worried that people with tighter budgets won't have a way to contribute.

My only other criticism, and only because you said to be merciless, is that some of the sentences read a little awkwardly. I know that english isn't your teams first language, and it doesn't bother me personally (it's 10000% better than my spanish!), but if there's a chance it will scare off anyone from backing your project then it might be worth having another read through it.

Here's an example of what I mean from the description above Kepler:
    I would change to:
    Both are technically correct, but I think the 2nd one reads better. Feel free to slap me if I'm being too picky, and once again, congrats on getting this far! ;)

41. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

After looking at the trailer, I at least think I know how the game plays from having seen this project for so long. Although at the end, the pirate ship... Are you sure you want to show a pirate ship from that perspective?

Gamers will definitely be confused about that. Hell, only after seeing that do you realize all of the spaceship areas are top-down instead of sideways perspective. I had no idea what is was until it occurred to me after a few seconds and still being a gamer playing through Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag (totally pirate themed game). Is there a profile side perspective of the pirate ship before or after you come across it for the first time?

42. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Thanks @NomadKing :) We've changed Kepler's description.

We've include this tier cause we saw in other projects that there are few people who take that kind of tiers :O I don't know why they do it but we need to get as many backers as possible :)

Don't be afraid being merciless :D

There isn't a side perspective of the pirate ship because all the space elements are at top-down perspective . Do you feel that elements are at sideways perspective? Sorry but I don't understand you very well, my english isn't good enough :(

NomadKing likes this.
  43. NomadKing

NomadKing

I guess it's just a strange KS phenomenon :p

44. Alf203

Alf203

Here is my honest opinion without mercy. I hope it will help you succeed !

Its a good first draft, but what I see in the Kickstarter needs to be improved a lot ! It confusing, unclear and doesn't seemed planned.

Here are the key points that you need to work on:

1) The writing is poor - I can already tell its not your first language and it just sounds like an amateur english level. Sorry to sound so crude, I know you probably worked hard on this and that it is not your first language, but it needs way more work if you want to get that funding...

You want the people to keep reading and stay interested and not give up after a sentence of two. It needs to sound more polished and professional. I would suggest a complete rewrite or hiring someone who can do it.

Again, if it is a story driven game, your writing needs to be top notch... If your writing is poor in the Kickstarter, then the player will expect the same or worse in the game and stay away from your game. Also please don't say bad things about others (e.g. weak shooter with weak plots...) to make your game look good or more appealing. Its generally not a good idea and makes you look bad and unprofessional in the end. Not everyone enjoys story-driven games and you have to respect every player's opinion. On the other hand, someone who enjoys both types of games will be turned off by that comment and not fund you. Finally, if you need to mention other genres for comparison, mention a genre of game which your game is closer to, as that will make the player more excited.

The first sentence sounds bad...Nothing is wrong grammatically but it doesn't sound good, the "one" at the end in particular.

Some ideas:

"The Intergalactic Trashman is a 2D platform game with space exploration elements."

or maybe "...Trashman blends 2D platforming with space exploration."

2) The organization in the writing - Its all over the place. It needs to be clearer and better organized. You have to say something like: the game is about this, this and that (i.e. story, platforming, space exploration,combination of mechanics, etc). (then show or talk more about what each of these "this, this and that" are.) in their own paragraph or/and using an image for additional clarity.

For instance, why is the main character a feature of the game ?...It should go into a character section.

Here if I was a reader I'd give up after the third sentence. So the first sentence is about what you can generally do in the game, the second one is about the platforms of release and the third one is about some specific feature (e.g. themes of levels). Its just not organized, that is the issue and this example shows the problem.

And since we are here, don't say "and if we earn enough money", because that really doesn't sound good at all and can be interpreted negatively. First it makes you look less confident because you use the word "if" so it means you are unsure how its going to turn out, and then it doesn't say how much money so it can sound condescending.
    Consider changing to something like: "Additional platforms will be considered based on the kickstarter funding, budget and revenue." Also, I would include what the potential platforms are, otherwise that sentence will have no impact. Basically the goal is to get the attention of the people that are interested in those platforms which should get you more backers in the end.

3) Also you really need to explain this: "Why do you think this game is worth funding and why should I play your game ?" Its not convincing at the moment.

4) Budget needs more work - You need to explain in better details what are the tasks and how much money is allowed for each. What is Consultation anyway ? The way the budget is shown is unclear, it looks as if 40% of the money will go into development process (whatever that means)...But then,

So you have reached 40% of development and 40% goes into funding the development, but the way you write that is confusing (again, see point 1) for the writing...)

You should explain that development process includes art, programming, etc.. as development process can mean anything, you need to explain with more details. The more detailed you are, the more people will fund because they know you won't be wasting their money.

5) Also, achievements are considered the norm in all the games today, so asking for an extra 5000$ for achievement is not a good idea I think.

6) In general the game looks good, but I will have to say +1 that the pirate boat at the end is confusing because the player is used to side view. The pirate ship looks out of place at first sight. It should be a side view.

7) The game seems to be wanting to do too much. It seems disjointed to me. What I mean is the 2D platforming and space exploration with the ship seem like two different games. The change in view angle with the pirate ship also heightens the disparity between space exploration and 2D platforming. Maybe its the way the trailer is made but it comes across to me as not being as cohesive because of that. I think personally that the focus should be on one or the other, as the last thing you want is for it to look like a collage of different genres or styles that don't work together as a whole.

Ok, that was long. Hope it helps you improve it. I know I'm being very critical, but if you want to get funded you need to raise the standards. Good luck !

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  45. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

The pirate spaceship appears like the bottom picture. But all ships look far more menacing from a side view. That shot of the pirate spaceship really was confusing. Most space shooters are either shown at a side horizontal view OR a top-down vertical view. The thing about your game is that is not really clear at all from the game's art. And I agree with what the furry alien said about the Kickstarter, but I do not support his hunger for cats.

46. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Thank you for your comments!

We've made some changes because of you :)
    • Now, there is not pirate ship at the end of the trailer. We cannot make a side perspective of the pirate ship because all the rest of the spatial elements are top-down viewed so this is the best choice.
    • Budget is better explained. We wrote about each percentage.
    • The 'Achievements' goal is better explained now. If we got this goal we would add secret rooms, specific hidden mini-quests, hidden objects, etc. and you will need to deal with them to get an special achievement... For instance, as Castlevania does.
    • We've done some changes on the writting and its organization. We cannot afford hiring someone to rewrite it (and we haven't time to do this), all the budget was spent in the 'Consultant'. A Kickstarter campaign can’t be launched from Spain, so we need to hire a consultant who help us with all the administrative process in the United States (we paid a base amount and then we'll give him the 5% of the money pledged).
    Changes haven't updated yet.

Thank you very much helping us to improve our KS.

P.S.: We've made a KS trailer version. It's a shorter version of the trailer with lot of action.

NomadKing likes this.
  47. Alf203

Alf203

Its way better now ! Good job guys!

About the pirate ship I think the confusion stems from the fact that the Hero, Kepler, is always seen from a side view, even in space. When he goes from planet to planet you see him from the side, and props such as crystals, trees and rocks that are on planets are side view. Then it is assumed his spaceship is also viewed from the side. But then, other elements like those closing gates are in a top down view. Since more elements are understood as viewed from the side (especially the hero) , the player thinks it is side view.

Chemaxmax likes this.
  48. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

After two years of development... we're on Kickstarter!!!

Help us spreading the word (please ).

P.S: we've shortened the video,killed the super early bird rewards and lowered some reward limits.

We're also live on Steam Greenlight

NomadKing and Fordster like this.
  49. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

This screenshot shows Kepler shooting at jellies and a Jelly Shield blowing up by a grenade impact.

13% funded! Help us spreading the word pleassseeee!

And >2000 votes on Steam Greenlight (52% yes 46% no), the average is 30% 70%, this is really hard.​

NomadKing likes this.
  50. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

2D Platform Tech-Demo released!!!

This is an early tech-demo that only showcases some gameplay of the 2D platform stages. There are a lot of bugs (sometimes tutorial pop-ups disappear and music/sounds don’t work properly) also, an important part of the game is missing: The space. We hope you keep that in mind when you check out this little demo!

Currently, there are a lot of missing and provisional sounds (jellies' shouts or weapons' sounds, for example), since we haven't hired a sound designer yet. That's one of the reasons we're doing a Kickstarter campaign :)

Please, take a look to the readme.txt for more information about keys, combinations and notes.

While you’re playing, follow the instructions that will appear in the lower right corner of the screen.

Gamepad is allowed and highly recommended, just configure buttons on the launcher.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    inko, NomadKing and TonyNowak like this.