Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The in-editor asset store needs some serious love

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by transat, Apr 25, 2019.

1. transat

transat

The asset store inside the editor has terrible UX. A few simple fixes would go a long way...

1) What is the point of having a separate tab for purchased and locally downloaded assets??

Both tabs have virtually the same functionality. Just ditch the two tabs and have the “My Assets” button go straight to the to the “My local downloads” page, and add a “download” button next to assets which have been bought but not downloaded. Seems pretty simple and this would save me a considerable amount of time because I have to wait over 1 minute for each tab simply to respond and know what’s been updated and what hasn’t (or have I missed an option to allow a local cache of what I’ve already downloaded / imported?).

2) How can i know if an asset in my project is the latest version I’ve downloaded??

As the store is inside the editor, I should be able to get an “upgrade in project” button instead of “import” for assets in my project which don’t match the latest version I’ve “updated”.

3) On a similar note, why is there no way for me to see a list of the most recently updated assets in “My assets”??

Once I’ve updated the asset, if I don’t import the update straight away, and if I move away from “My assets” and then back, it’s virtually impossible for me to know if that asset needs to be reimported (aka “upgrade in project”, as suggested above) without scrolling through a long list of assets (which takes ages due to the lack of caching). Just add a “Recently updated” sort option, Like the one from the web based asset store.

4) Where can I see a list of asset bundles already IN my project?

Add an “imported” sort order!

And then there are some slightly less simple but very sensible changes...

5) ditch the embedded asset store from the editor and replace it with a native store, with proper caching. And move that out of the editor and into Unity Hub (which currently lacks a sense of purpose).

6) Move all of the asset importing / downloading / upgrading functionality discussed above to the current Package Manager.

If anyone from Unity is interested in hearing me out, I’ve got a long list of suggestions which could improve the current UX with minimal effort. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019