Search Unity

The "I have one piece of advice to give" Post!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanglinBob, May 28, 2015.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The series had 6 books originally. Frank Herbert died before finishing the last book. His son took over and wrote prequels and lore books for a couple of decades before finishing.

Anyway, Dune itself is brilliant. Its a land mark work in science fiction. But like many science fiction series it degenerates into mindless philosophy at about book four.

2. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

If you're too proud to learn from wiser or more experienced people, you shouldn't be a pioneer anyway.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Pioneers are people who have earned their position in life. They set out with the skills and knowledge they have to accomplish something new and different. Lewis & Clark were no newbie explorers in their day, they were handpicked by the US Government to explore the Missouri river to find a northwest passage. My friends, you do not get handpicked for a perilous mission if you're a private fresh out of boot camp!

My advice? If you're too pig headed to listen to advice, do it anyway, you will learn why you should do or should
    not things people tell you.

That is how you learn, by doing.
    and there is no right or wrong way to learn. People who tell you otherwise are fooling themselves.

Once you've learned that lesson then you will know to seek knowledge before embarking on a task. You will know how and where to find it at this point as well.

Only through perseverance, passion, plain ole' curiosity, and sheer determination, will you achieve what you set out to do!

Or you will find that it isn't for you, and find something else you are passionate about.

Lastly, I want to say this: Some people complain about making your passion your career, because then it will be a job, and you won't get any enjoyment out of it.

I'm not that far yet, I don't know if game dev is my passion, but I know that programing is and that is only part of the process! We'll see where this takes me. I want to voice a counter argument to that complaint:

I want to make my passion my job, because I can't see myself doing anything else and enjoying it.

jtsmith1287 likes this.
  4. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Lawdy lawdy! Amen, Brother! Aaammeeenn!

Deleted User likes this.