Search Unity

The hunt after a new cloud backend + multiplayer API solution after Gamesparks changed their pricing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SimonLevato, Aug 24, 2019.

1. SimonLevato

SimonLevato

So, after Gamesparks decided to change their pricing and make it non-usable for indies, people had to look for other solutions. (ref this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hea...g-plan-and-its-looking-bad-for-indies.632257/ )

Well, I was one of them, had the entire multiplayer, leaderboard, auth system implemented and done. And now I got to find another service.

I really want to use a solution which can give me realtime multiplayer API, leaderboards and matchmaking in the same package (so Gamesparks was actually perfect for me).

But now I got to find a new solution.
    I want the solution to do the hosting of servers for me, manage it and scale it if needed.
    Also, I hated the workflow of uNet (syncvars, rpc) so I haven't mentioned Mirror ( https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror ).

So, have you any experience with any of these? Really curious about new unity multiplayer, playfab thunderhead, socketweaver, appwarp, unreal services and braincloud.

yong2khoo and nobluff67 like this.
  2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Braincloud is pretty good. They are small but big enough to host a few major games (e.g. Simpsons Tapped out).

One of the best things about them is the support. The live chat is often answered in minutes by an actual expert, and its rare to wait more than a few hours for a response.

Real time is really new though so you would have to take that with a grain of salt.

SimonLevato and nobluff67 like this.
  3. SimonLevato

SimonLevato

Ok, thank you so much for the insight. Might try them out.

4. yong2khoo

yong2khoo

just curious, socketweaver comes without CCU limit. Isnt this a critical deciding factor?

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This thread is 3 years old..

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. The discussions in this thread are focused on CCUs solely because the services being discussed charge based on the number of CCUs. Socketweaver doesn't eliminate this discussion. It simply shifts it from CCUs to bandwidth usage since that is how it charges you.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  7. yong2khoo

yong2khoo

Thanks for your input.
    Let say i create a minimal turn-based board game, i thought without a CCU limit, it would make me relieved more.. (with the assumption that the bandwidth usage would never hit the threshold)

Anyway, i am not sure whether socketweaver is still actively in development. They did provide sample codes through github. But last release was 2021.

8. yong2khoo

yong2khoo

Meanwhile, after exploring playfab, i realize that the ecosystem for 'Multiplayer' is way much broader, such as matchmaking, leaderboard, etc, which, the socketweaver doesnt have.

9. Meltdown

Meltdown

Playfab + Mirror + Edgegap is my choice.

Playfab < 100 000 users = free

Mirror doesn't cost a cent to use the framework. Although there are some small benefits for sponsors, such as some additional tools and priority support on Discord.

I really wanted to give Photon Fusion a crack but it seems there is no WebGL support at this point and WebGL is the most important platform for me going forward.

Edgegap provides server infrastructure and some easy built-in matchmaking, or you can implement your own whole OpenMatch configuration on top of their matchmaking servers.