Search Unity

Feature Request The Hub needs to become more publisher supportive

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Rowlan, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

For publishers the Hub isn't helpful. For one projects vanish after the threshold of 40 is reached.

Then you have to search all your projects manually instead of having them in a tree which consists of nodes per asset with multiple Unity versions in it. So a tree functionality would be really helpful. Also for categorization, eg grouping by render pipeline or others.

And if there's a tree functionality, it would be helpful to open an entire node, ie one project after the other with a single click. After all we have to test the same code in multiple Unity versions with multiple render pipelines each.

Do you have an idea? Write it here :)

Noisecrime likes this.
  2. _geo__

_geo__

Personally I only use the hub to initially create a project. For existing projects I use this:
    https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityLauncher

Unitycoder started this before the Hub was even a thing and I forked and contributed to the early versions.
    The github project seems abandoned now but it still works (and boots within a second).

I wish the hub had a compact layout like this. Also full display of project paths would be nice.

mgear and Noisecrime like this.
  3. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Agree with the Project limit in hub, I'm not sure why it exists, but as a developer with a decade of Unity projects its woefully inadequate.

Hadn't considered the tree/node idea, probably wouldn't be beneficial to myself, but could totally see how essential it would be for anyone who has a project that supports multiple versions of Unity. In that situation an expandable tree is a brilliant solution, say with the root project designated to open either the latest unity version or a user denoted version.

Not so sure about opening all versions one after another, but again if there is a good use case for it and can be easily supported/designed I don't see why it couldn't be in the hub.

... and this is where the problem is. Hub development seems glacial, its like there is only a single developer and they are only allowed to work on it at weekends or something. There are so many cool ideas and just basic essential behaviour that could have been added to the hub over time that is bizarre to me that it hasn't.

Personally I'd love to have the ability to view projects as thumbnails, where in a Unity Project you could at any time take a screenshot and dump it into the ProjectSettings folder to act as a thumbnail ( animated if multiple screenshots ) in the hub. Main reason is that while many projects are self-described by its name, the sheer number of projects I now have, exploring concepts and visual effects, I no longer remember exactly which project these reside in.

The I'd like to get a breakdown of my projects, which editor versions are being used, what versions of packages are in use ( maybe also assets ), ability to update package versions for many projects from the hub etc.

Its so weird that Unity has forced the Hub onto developers yet beyond one-click install of editors I can't think of any other benefit it offers. Yet it would be so easy to make it so much more and yet the biggest thing on the roadmap is adding support for an Asset Library, something we used to have a good working version in the editor via the web, and now have a terrible implementation via Package Manager.

BTW - You may want to rename the thread, as I'm not a publisher, just prolific project developer I also skipped past this thread, yet it offers some really cool ideas to enhance the hub that I'm sure other developers would be interested in.