Search Unity

Feedback The Hub & Desktop Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by nitz, Oct 22, 2021.

1. nitz

nitz

Dear Unity Hub,

I appreciate you immensely. You make the headache that is wrangling Unity versions far more bearable.

However, you have one, very funny flaw.

Despite you being my gateway to all things Unity3D, each time I ask you to install a new version (of which can happen frequently with the rate that LTS patches roll out,) you insist on adding a shortcut to the newly installed editor on my desktop.

I have never once needed those shortcuts, and they have only served as a chore of a thing to delete after installing a new version.

I'd like it very much if you could refrain from adding them. I know it's not really "your fault", since you're just fetching and running the actual editor installer. But perhaps you could ask the installer to skip the creation of the shortcut for me. I'm sure myself (and many more) would be quite grateful.

Yours in bits and bytes,

nitz

kdchabuk and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  2. nitz

nitz

P.S.: Since we're talking about minor conveniences: It'd sure be swell if you could remember my preferences for what modules to install. The number of times I've accidently installed the VS Community or the local documentation when I hadn't intended to is more than I can count with my socks on.

3. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback!
    I'll raise it with the Hub team! ;)

nitz likes this.
  4. Hertzole

Hertzole

I also second an option to disable desktop shortcuts but much more importantly (in this case), the shortcuts created in the windows start menu. I really like to use PowerToys' PowerRun and every time I search for Unity, naturally, the engine comes up first since it's the closest match. If shortcuts for it didn't exist in the start menu, it would instead easily find Unity hub. That change would make it so much more convenient for those who use PowerRun like me.