Search Unity

The HDR Pipeline MESSED my entire project up!!!???!!!!

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by markashburner, May 17, 2018.

1. markashburner

markashburner

I downloaded the HDR Pipeline from the Package Manager.

I created a HDR Pipeline asset and then used it in the Graphics section.

Everything in my scene went pink, so I removed the asset from the Graphics section.

Everything in my project changed, the textures, the lighting all VERY LOW quality.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You didn't back up first?

Didn't you notice that HDRP said preview and that it's not ready?

In any case. You have to provide more info about what you mean about VERY LOW quality, I'm not sure what's going on by your description.

3. markashburner

markashburner

I basically had to reimport everything into a new project.

So is HDRP even worth using at this stage?

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @markashburner ,

Sorry to read you have so much trouble with Unity and the preview rendering pipeline package. Let me get in touch with the graphics team and see if they can help you.

Regards,

Pascal

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi markashburner, this does not seem 'normal'. When setting the render pipeline asset we don't modify _any_ assets in your project unless you execute the material updater (which is a one way operation). Do you have any more information or reproduction steps (can you log a bug?). Talking here we can't see how this would happen so we really want some information on what exactly you did.

6. Mauri

Mauri

The HDRP is still in early stages and not production-ready yet. That's why it's labeled as "Preview" in both the Package Manager and when creating a new Project. Always backup your projects before you make major changes to them (e.g. upgrading to a newer Unity version, testing incomplete features, ...)

7. lloydhooson

lloydhooson

my experience is that there needs to be a big effort from Unity to say if you use LWRP or HDRP all previous shaders are useless (hence the pink) and need to be re-created somehow (would be nice to have some documentation on how to convert shaders to the new pipes). There needs to be a massive - !!CAUTION!! using this will require all shaders in project to be updated to compatible shaders, theres going to be a lot of pink and you need to change all shaders <link to docs>

vanzie11 likes this.
  8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

perhaps there needs to be a hd render pipeline material downgrader too, that if you need to export the project to multiple paltforms it converts your shaders to lightweight or legacy pipeline.
    ( stipping out all the unsupported functions of hd )

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I understand you're frustrated and may not want to hear it but this is a good opportunity to take the time to learn how to properly safeguard against these problems. A proper backup would have allowed you to revert these changes in minutes.

https://www.3dgep.com/using-version-control-with-unity/

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

It's OK. As a kid I taped over part of one of my games and I'll never get that game back. That hurt a lot :) Sometimes that pain teaches things like backups and version control.

As for OP's problem - you will have to start reporting what red errors you have. Any missing files?

The best way to use SRP is IMHO to create a new project then use the template feature to choose HDRP or LWRP, then import your project into that instead if you do not know what you are doing.

AlanMattano likes this.
  11. elbows

elbows

The templates are a great way to learn and take first steps, but since the pipeline versions that come with the templates are presently older versions than you can get through the package manager UI, my advice is to at least be aware of this before making a choice.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

No, the reason I recommend my approach is because you install via template, get example scenes with it and can trivially, without problems, update it via package manager.

If you go package manager only, I don't think it's good or clear enough for inexperienced people curious about HDRP. If you aren't inexperienced with the process you do not need my advice.

13. elbows

elbows

I only mention it because it isnt necessarily obvious that templates dont contain latest available package. In fact quite a lot of forum posts about pipeline or shadergraph issues dont even mention version number at all, suggesting that some people are still used to thinking about this stuff only in terms of Unity version number. And I already acknowledged that templates are useful for learning and first steps with pipelines.

hippocoder likes this.
  14. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

A long time ago I lost my first project that went out of control. Hoo... :( @markashburner did you recover from that? Hope that you are just busy recovering the project and that we didn't lose you?

15. markashburner

markashburner

No I got it all up and working again, I just want to mess with the HDR pipeline until a stable version is released, also custom shaders you have made yourself don't work with the HDR pipeline...

AlanMattano likes this.
  16. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Moving to the HD Render Pipeline many shaders do not work. For example, legacy materials and many other custom shaders .... Too bad.