Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hadron Effect FPS WIP Story

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TryHarder, Apr 12, 2013.

1. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi,

I Thought I would start a thread in case anyone is interested following my story, I intend to blog or diarise the journey so if you are interested now is the time to start following :)

I have a blog at :- http://www.thehadroneffect.com

If you follow the link there is an About page which explains the story but briefly......

This whole thing is the realisation of a life long ambition, well I say life long since I discovered PacMan I guess. I have for a long time now dreamt of creating my own FPS, I never thought that would happen because of skill and the time required, and it still might not lol ! However, I'm going to give it a good go.

During the day I'm a business systems developer and I have been doing this for about 20 years now, but I really want to try and fulfil this ambition of mine. I'm doing this primarily for fun in my spare time but I'd really like to see how good a game I can create on my own using my own game play ideas coupled with assets created by other talented people. The coding side of things I have no fear of at all, but I'm definitely not a graphic designer so I'm going to concentrate on making the game fun, challenging and interesting by filling it with all my favourite features that good FPS's have, and if in the end others enjoy playing it then thats a bonus !

So the plot features you as a scientist working on the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) follow the link if you have never heard of it as the plot will make more sense if you do. So you are working on the LHC and you keep ramping up the energy until one day, Zap ! You can't really remember much but you awake in what seems like a candle lit cave. It's weird because it looks like someone's been here before and tried to hide away, but from who or from what? Where am I? Where is the lab? The door is barricaded, sunlight streams through but what's on the other side? Home I hope..........................well I guess you'll have to wait and see, but I think getting back home is going to be harder, and take longer than arriving did, and so the game begins.

If you are interested I hope you enjoy the ride, I'll keep this thread up to date as often as I can along with the blog, the blog is linked to twitter also so you can keep tabs if you like.

Thank you for reading.

$Update4_1.jpg

$CaveExit7.jpg

2. AlexLeighton

AlexLeighton

There's nothing better than just going for it and making the game you've always wanted, and I'm interested to see where your story is going! Best of luck!

3. MickM

MickM

Gday Mate,

Looked through your blog; looks like an interesting concept!

Congrats about getting the first level done (or at least being well on your way!) How long is the game looking at being?

Did you do all the modelling (apart from the candle?) yourself? Blender?
    Where/how did you do the cave model?

Is it going to be primarily an FPS or more of an adventure game with FPS elements?
    Either way, looks good! Will keep an eye on this one!

4. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thank you !

Mick,

In answer to your questions I'm aiming to have a playable two maybe three levels by Christmas this year, thats my plan, I have the whole story, gameplay etc mapped out, it's just making it come alive !

As for the modelling no, this is one of the key parts of this project, I'm a programmer so the scripting is fine, making things move, jump, shoot, explode, interact with you etc, is all clear in my head, but modelling aside from basic stuff like boxes etc, is beyond me. So this where I'm really interested, I have put together a library of assets I have purchased I I believe work well, so I want so see just how good this can be using the asset store concept of content linked with my storyline and skill in making it all come alive. I can mess around in blender and alter things and cut them up and animate the parts you'll see this in some of the mechanised adversaries you'll come up against in Level 2.

The cave model for instance comes from Dexsoft I have managed to find most of what I need from various sources but graphic content is just one part of a game, and you can I have the best looking game in the world but if the gameplay is slow or boring or both then its a waste of time. So what I'm trying to do is speed up the development by using whats out there because its just me working on putting this together :)

"Is it going to be primarily an FPS or more of an adventure game with FPS elements?"

Its primarily an FPS, but it tells a story, the main character (and I need to figure out a name) that's you, went to work at the LHC that morning to continue the work to discover what happened when the world was created, they ramp up the power just a little too much and he/she ends up somewhere else. Have you ever thought that to keep us alive the earth has to be a precise distance from the sun, has to be tilted at an exact angle, spin at an exact speed, etc etc. Well I think this is all to precise to have been just luck, so in the course of battling his way to find away home the scientist will un cover one possible theory to how we came to be here. Whether he figures it out and gets back is up to you........ :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi, no more pictures at the moment, I'm working really hard on the HUD and messaging system, it is taking a little longer than I thought but I'm getting there, more very soon........ I'll keep you posted.... need sleep !

6. Strategos

Strategos

Totally read that as "the hardon effect" lol

Looks nice so far though.

7. SevenBits

SevenBits

Looks really cool. I'd love to try a web player!

8. TryHarder

TryHarder

$HUD.jpg

HUD finished at last, phew, that was a few days coding. Really pleased as its not just the GUI its the message hooks and handlers so I can now display any message in the centre HUD and call to update, Health, Ammo and Clip pickups from any where in the system. In addition I can display sprites in those clipping panes for amour or grenades or anything I can think of. Happy thats done, right next finish this level off with some more props scattered around for you to practice shooting, and then I think I'll make a video so you can see level 1 and the game play in action.......Stay Tuned....... :)

P.S. Yep, I probably need a Mini Map but that can wait for now.........

9. TryHarder

TryHarder

LOL !! Hmmm, you have given me a few ideas here I could lower the tone and add a bar with some strippers Duke Nukem style, that's got to be a hardcore bonus level !!

10. logang

logang

Think I can help?

11. TryHarder

TryHarder

By the way thanks for the positive comments, really trying to make this slick, it'll never be Crysis 3 but taking my time to get the gameplay as interesting, attractive and professional as possible, you'll be able to shoot plenty of stuff but I'm conscious of the storyline and I want to make it challenging and make it an FPS but kind of role play for one at the same time.

So many ideas, so little time, still Rome wasn't built in a day.

12. TryHarder

TryHarder

13. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi,

I have uploaded a down and dirty first video, its not the best quality but I just wanted you to get a feel for where I'm at, enjoy !!

[video=youtube_share;m1JqHjXBOVw]http://youtu.be/m1JqHjXBOVw

Don't forget the blog at www.thehadroneffect.com

14. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi again:-

I'm hard at developing the scenery and dynamics of level 2 (I think I need names for these levels). I don't want to give too much of the game away but its a reasonably large level. I'm creating a feeling that you are somewhere, and not just anywhere. So the little details are important and the world should be believable and the different levels should naturally link together to give you a feeling that one, you are going somewhere and two, the player can connect with the world and the story that develops. Well thats the plan anyway, I'm going as fast as I can, which isn't easy for a one man team, so please stay tuned, and thank you for your continued interest.

WWW.THEHADRONEFFECT.COM

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. JohnPet

JohnPet

Hey, sorry, i thought i read "the HARDON effect"... great job btw

16. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thank you, but sorry if you were expecting something else, :)

17. Blacklight

Blacklight

That would make for an interesting first person shooter.

18. AndOProd

AndOProd

Hey tryharder looks great, it is very logicly thought out well that's what games area bunch of logical ideas put together xd. The ambient music has a good feel to it and sounds great. The gun particle looks good is it like a sci fi ish gun? All in all this looks like its gonna be a great and enjoyable game to play.

19. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi,

Thank you for your comments, sorry I missed them, not like me, but I've been hard at it !! Thanks again.

20. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi,

There are some new screen shots on my blog for anyone interested, www.thehadroneffect.com I'm really torn between showing more and spoiling the plot, so the Images are in no order and actually the latest ones are midway through level 2, and i haven't shown too much of the start, so hopefully not giving too much away.

Having so much fun doing this, just need 48 hour days. loving the AI more on that another day !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  21. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

This looks really tight! I hope you upload more videos in the future.

22. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thank you ! I've had to take a break, pressure of day job, but hopefully thats sorted now so I'm back on this project, and yes I have another video planned, thanks again ! www.thehadroneffect.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  23. Liggles

Liggles

Your game is looking really nice from what ive seen so far, and doesnt seem like the average FPS keep up the good work!

24. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thank you ! Yep I'm hoping its a bit different whilst keeping generally to the popular Half-life genre. I've done loads this weekend but I'm dead in my chair now so I'll post up my latest additions over the next few days.

Thanks again, its interest that keeps me going !!

25. TryHarder

TryHarder

This is a quick teaser video of part of Level 2 showing some unfinished real gameplay with the turrets in action ! I hope you enjoy it. Sorry about the quality, I will get around to some better video making software one day, but in real life the gameplay is silky smooth.

Much, much more to do !! But as always lots of fun !

[video=youtube_share;VolTfHNCN80]http://youtu.be/VolTfHNCN80

The MG-1 automated turret installed in the scene and animated. It tracks you and shoots you. Your enemy has developed many more automated opponents for you to evade. This whole area is designed to find the most effective killing machines ready to install back on Earth.

This is just the beginning, some of the weapons in their arsenal are designed for mass destruction, but before you can start to deal with them you need to get past the anti personal defences.

Don't forget the full story can be found here at www.thehadroneffect.com

26. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'd love to see a web player of this game.

27. TryHarder

TryHarder

Still here, just busy building levels, which takes some time on your own.....more soon.

www.thehadroneffect.com

28. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Soon! You mean Valve Time soon?

29. daisySa

daisySa

The author hasn't logged in since July 15. It's a pity, because this was looking really promising...

30. Ian094

Ian094

Nice! I love the environment. It's blatant that your really good at level designing.

Good luck with your project :)

31. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hiya Guys,

Real sorry, as you know I'm on this project on my own, which is all good by the way, I unexpectedly lost my Mother, changed jobs and have moved house in the last couple of months, and so life's been tough and a little crazy lately.

That's the bad news over, the good news is the ambition and project is absolutely still on I have been working on it and I promise I will show you some more as soon as I can.

Thank you for the interest, I do appreciate it, and I'll be back 100% real soon !

32. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Ouch! Sorry to hear that...

On another note, it is good that you're back!

33. daisySa

daisySa

Really sorry to hear about your Mum, but very glad that you're still working on this! It's really good, especially considering it's a one-person effort.

34. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Ouch! Sorry to hear that...

On another note, it is good that you're back!

35. TryHarder

TryHarder

Here is a quick update.... I needed to add a sniper scope for Level 3 in my game more info here:- www.thehadroneffect.com I had a few idea's like a render texture etc but in the end or at least for now I'm just using a GUI texture, I quite like the simple effect so I thought I would share.

[video=youtube_share;CVoYFY5aT9Y]http://youtu.be/CVoYFY5aT9Y

I'm using www.visionpunk.com Ultimate FPS which I really like, and use thoughout my game, the sniper rifle itself came from www.3DRT.com, enjoy !

36. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi everyone,

I have another quick video I've uploaded its of early development of level3, I can't show you the finished footage as it will spoil the game but it gives you a little bit more of a look.

Thank you.

[video=youtube_share;Koh6VZg7swQ]http://youtu.be/Koh6VZg7swQ

37. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hi Everyone,

Originally I didn't think I would be able to release this on the iPhone because I couldn't achieve the quality I wanted. However, with the release of the latest iPhone and iPad and coupled to my experience using Unity's features I can now do this. I'm really pleased with the gameplay performance, here's a little peak at my training level, the games not ready for release, still lots to do but its getting ever closer !

[video=youtube_share;GgB-THn2ORU]http://youtu.be/GgB-THn2ORU

38. Lokkij

Lokkij

This is looking really good and polished! I'm interested to see what the final version is going to be like :)

39. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thank you,

A lot more polishing to add yet ! I'm trying to see just how good you can make a Unity FPS on your own, a team of one! Just getting help where it would be impossible for me to do, for instance I'm having the music score written at the moment so thats exciting as I wouldn't have a clue !!

40. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

This is looking really really nice! Very good job on the models/props, and the mechanics so far! :D

41. MasonGaming

MasonGaming

This is actually quite interesting, Followed!

42. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thank you, more soon......

43. TryHarder

TryHarder

Sorry, I've gone dark lately but thats only because I'm hard at it............more soon, i promise.......

$BLOGAPR2014.jpg

44. quantumsheep

quantumsheep

Just wanted to wish you luck - it's looking very nice so far! :D

Watching your videos you can tell you care about the 'feel' of the game - and that's so important I think!

Good luck!

QS =D

45. THoeppner

THoeppner

This thread is one of this seldom pearls you rarely found here.

Your work is really motivating and inspiring. After reading your blog I want to start such a project by myself ;-)

Good luck with the project. I'm curious to see the progress.

46. Ricks

Ricks

Agreed! Also the title and screenshots give me a good Half-Life 2 feeling.

47. TryHarder

TryHarder

Thanks guys I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

48. TryHarder

TryHarder

49. TryHarder

TryHarder

50. TryHarder

TryHarder

Development Update.

I thought it was a good time to give a little bit of an update on progress and the way the game has evolved. Although I have tweaked the game story and content slightly I’m leaving the blog intact as it a bit of history of the development. The games not finished but I have now finalised the structure an I’m not changing it so I can focus on finishing the levels, below is a recap and the level list for the release, I’m trying not to give to much away but I hope its interesting.

Introduction

Just to recap the games genre is Halflife 2 FPS, when I say that I’m mean it will feel vaguely familiar to those who have played HalfLife. Most of the characters are humanoid the surroundings are earth like but there are sinister undertones. You feel very much like one person on their own with a responsibility on your shoulders. It was never intended as a HalfLife clone or to follow the story in anyway but if you are a fan of HalfLife then hopefully you’ll like this too.

Storyline

In my story the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has been in use for sometime, you are one of the scientists working in the LHC program trying to recreate and study the conditions at the point the universe was created. One day you achieve this, but what you don’t realise is that at the point the conditions are created you open up a path, wormhole, portal call it what you will to somewhere else, another world. In this story the Earth was created by an entity of some form and the portal transports you back to the home world of Earths creators. As the story unfolds you quickly learn that our creators have seen us evolve and create technology, something their first attempt which was prehistoric inhabitants, Dinosaurs etc. had go no where near achieving in the Millions of years they roamed the Earth. Us humans however, in a mere two hundred thousand years have created wonders. Now however, our creators want to put an end to this and move on to their next experiment. So you have a duel role, on the one hand you want to get back home on the other you want to stop the creators exterminating the human race, or else they’ll’ be no home to return to.

What you also learn quickly wandering their home world is they are only looking to rid the earth of the human race, they don’t want to destroy the Earth as a whole, so they are experimenting with the best way of using weapons to only remove humans, so no dropping of nuclear bombs or chemical weapons, to much contamination in that approach.

The game levels and a little insight into each

Chapter 1 – “Awake”

This is the starting point of the game, all you remember is being at work and running up the LHC to full power and bang, you arrive in another lab, the portal explodes and through a hole in the wall you arrive in a cave like formation in the rocks. But someone has been here before….. you recall another couple of scientists who apparently left the project with out warning, this gets you wondering, what happened and where am I ?

Chapter 2 – “Testing Times”

Out from the cave you arrive outside in fresh air at some kind of facility, where are you though ? Being a scientist you think to yourself, its like Earth but where on earth ? there is atmosphere and gravity and sunlight, but a strange mix of terrain, an oasis in a baron landscape a little artificial. Its a guarded facility where humanoid robots are being programmed and repaired, but that’s not all, there are weapons here too, what is going on? You battle your way through the facility while trying to disable the security systems to get further up the hill to a building you can see in the distance.

Chapter 3 – Part 1 “Killing Fields East”, Part 2 “Killing Fields South”

You gain access to another part of the facility there is a tall wall, from the top of an adjacent building you can see an area set out for weapons testing, so thats what the robots are for targets for testing the weapons. The only way forward is through the weapon testing areas. Also whilst in the facility you get a first clue to who has been here before, a female scientist you used to work with that disappeared, maybe you find her here………somewhere.

Chapter 4 – “Hometown”

You enter a town it looks intact but out of place in the world you are in, neither the less it’s familiarity of home on Earth fills you with comfort and hope that you’ll figure this out and get back home.

Chapter 5 – “Destroyer of Worlds”

The next town fills you with dread and horror, its been destroyed in a terrible way, as you battle the automated defenses you discover more shockingly it was once inhabited, but now those inhabitants are in Zombie form terribly diseased, more sinister biological weapons are being developed.

Chapter 6 – “Road to Somewhere”

You find a vehicle and drive it along an old deserted road, well at least it starts off deserted……….

Chapter 7 – “Natural Planet”

The landscape changes in to lush foliage and although you don’t recognise the flora once again you feel a little close to the Earth you remember. Once again however, the feeling of hope is soon shattered when you discover its not just trees and flowers living in this forest. This is the creators home world in its natural form you must be getting closer to their core.

Chapter 8 – “Tides Turning”

You reach the creators base you need to gain entry scupper there plans by destroying their portal their tunnel back to Earth but remember you need to get back too.

Chapter 9 – “The Way Home”

Deep inside the central core facility you must find a way home, but once back close the door forever. You need to find their power source and set a chain reaction in progress, but not before you’ve used the portal one last time, this is going to be tough.

Chapter 10 – “Epilogue”

What next, did you succeed? Did you fail ? Or maybe you make one last discovery.

So there you go, this has been a long journey and not over yet, but I'm pleased, my idea's, the asset store and Unity came together and I think my lifetime ambition of create an FPS in the style of Halflife is really looking possible.

Thanks for reading, http://www.thehadroneffect.com.

More soon.....................