Search Unity

The greatest game ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techmage, Jun 4, 2010.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

haha i think that it was partly due to the wii that made it so good, if they had morepowerfull hardware then they proboly would have gone with twilight princess art style and i realy like skywards swords art style, also i love the controlls they work realywell i would pick them over a gamepad anyday.

I sort of wish they waited and did like they did with twilight princess and relised it for wii u and wii, even if wii u just used a wiimote but it was in 1080p, altho maby it will be able to render wiigames in 1080p after all Dolphin emu can

2. Diviner

Diviner

Starcraft : Broodwars
    Final Fantasy 7
    Super Metroid
    Portal
    Skyrim

(in that order).

3. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104

4. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

bioshock

5. ivanzu

ivanzu

ping-pong
    super mario
    zelda
    skyrim
    stalker

6. MABManZ

MABManZ

Rivals Schools on PS1 was the first thing that popped to mind

so that must be the answer!

other honorable mentions: Top Gear 2 (SNES), Mischief Makers (N64)

These are games that I always end up going back and replaying every few years and loving them all over again

7. TehWut

TehWut

I find it quite interesting that most game developer's favorite games are not mainstream, if rather obscure.

8. Drewbie

Drewbie

warcraft 2
    red alert
    roller coaster tycoon
    starcraft
    half life

the top 5 games that I have the most hours logged....

9. c-Row

c-Row

Pretty hard choosing only one game, but the one game that was great at release and still stood the test of time for me is X-COM: UFO Defense. Still got it installed on my PC for another round every now and then.

10. giyomu

giyomu

Hmm personal list too ^^

knightmare
    maze of galious ( knightmare 2 )
    Nemesis 2

I had fun with those 3.... Long time ago xd..

11. Aztec

Aztec

load runner

haunter hunted

an Mafia... first two games remind me of childhood and last one is for me one oft the best games in Storyline togehter with Vietcong

12. BotMo

BotMo

Chrono Trigger

13. gore23

gore23

The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time

That game is just so well done for it's time and I continue tot enjoy replaying it. The gameplay was perfect and the puzzles were enjoyable.

When I think of judging games I think about when they are made; not only how they rank with current games because it really is not fair to judge any other way when each generation gains new technology to work with.

14. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

15. rob_b30

rob_b30

The full list in rough chronological order.

I most often go back to Speedball II (Amiga). Genesis (Arcade) Ghosts n Goblins (Arcade) tied for second.
    I'd most like to go back to Virtua Racing - Full arcade version with cabinet.

Scramble (Vectrex)
    Bedlam (Vectrex)
    Kung Fu Master
    Gauntlet
    R. Type
    Genesis
    Gyrus
    Galaga
    Shinobi
    Pirates
    Ghosts n Goblins
    Uridium
    Paradroid
    Great Giana Sisters (hehehe)
    Ultima III
    Defender of the crown (C64 version only, Amiga sucked)
    IK+
    Rampage
    Pang
    Elite
    Tetris
    Speedball II
    Bomberman
    Street Fighter II
    Metal Slug
    Art of flighting
    Wolfenstein3d
    Secret of monkey island
    Mario Kart
    Pilot Wings
    Monkey island 2: LeChuck's revenge
    Virtua Racing
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop II
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Fighter II
    Daytona
    Ridge Racer
    Sega Rally
    Quake
    Quake II
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Trog
    Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
    NiGHTS into Dreams
    Street Racer
    Blast Corps
    Super Mario 64
    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark
    Zelda: Octarina of time
    Gran Turismo
    Crazy Taxi
    Jet Set Radio
    TimeSplitters
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Skyrim

16. Jake-L

Jake-L

Populous
    Wing Commander Series (the early ones)
    Syndicate
    Agent USA
    Sim City

17. rik338

rik338

1. final fantasy 7
    2. Ocarina of time
    3. Xenoblade chronicles

Thats it.

18. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Ooh, I have a few and it's hard for me to list any as #1...but here are some of the main ones:

Banjo-Kazooie
    TLoZ: Majora's Mask
    Metroid Prime
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
    Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
    Star Fox 64

19. taumel

taumel

Defender of the Crown also was about emotions and atmosphere, you know you also were trying to get a lady, the romance scene, fighting your way into the castle at night, all this was way better done in the Amiga version. The C64 version lacked mouse support, the music was awful compared to the Amiga version, loading got more in your way, no animated water around the map and so on.

Defender of the Crown was designed for the Amiga. Jim Sachs at his best. They did a solid job with the C64 version but that's about it and the few gameplay elements they added to the C64 version didn't matter. If you wanted to really enjoy the game in a way it was supposed to be enjoyed you needed to play the Amiga version.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  20. rob_b30

rob_b30

ummm. forgive me whilst I try to remember why I hated the amiga version so much. I think it was becasue teh difficulty level was dialed down so much the game was easily beatable

21. taumel

taumel

Well, you adjusted the difficulty level by choosing the characters who had different strengths and weaknesses. For instance many people preferred playing with Geoffrey Longsword because this way the sword fights were easier for them. But again Defender of the Crown wasn't designed as a hard core strategy game in the first place. Cinemaware was after a completely different gaming experience and who knows what they might have come up with if the Amiga would have done better in terms of Commodore and pirate copies.

22. rob_b30

rob_b30

OK. Did some searching about C64 DOTC and found this post on lemon64.com. The differences in gameplay described are pretty much how I remember them. Basically the Amiga version was dead easy no matter which character you picked. the C64 version was hard, and I throughly enjoyed playing it over and over. I do however remember seeing this as the second thing I ever saw an amiga do and was amazed by the graphics and sound. see below for the post. Cinemaware created some great things later - Rocket Ranger, Wings, and It Came From The Desert being the most notable for me, I loved them, though then never quite got me coming back again and again like DOTC on the C64 did.

"The C64 version was a later release than Amiga's Defender of the Crown.
    Subsequently, Cinemaware improved the gameplay in various ways for the C64.

The 8-bit game is more challenging and has greater variety. It has more random events, more siege options, more battle options, etc. You can also "Pass" a turn. Unlike on the Amiga, buying an army on C64 DOTC costs you a turn. This aspect makes the C64 game more difficult to complete - thus, more exciting.

Like you, i played the C64 version first and I was bit disappointed playing the Amiga's. As far as castle sieges go, was miffed not to see the Amiga DOTC have greek fire + disease missiles! Also, wanted to see the castle up in flames on the 16-bit!!

The C64 version is the best - on all platforms!"

23. taumel

taumel

Actually i played the Amiga version first on my A1000.

It might already be a different angle we have due to this. I was completely fine with the gameplay of the Amiga version already because the magic of Defender of the Crown wasn't based on its strategy mechanics in the first place. Additional elements like the greek fire and disease missiles didn't enhance the game at all to me, the battle field representation was superfluous and so on but on the other side the C64 lacked a lot of the magic i or Cinemaware generally cared about.

You can watch playthroughs on YouTube or download an emulator plus the disk images in order to compare all the versions if you want to. You might best enjoy the Atari ST version because it comes with the enhancements you seem to care about plus a lot more decent graphics than the C64 could offer.

24. taumel

taumel

Btw. a better example for a game which was better on the C64 than on the Amiga would be Boulder Dash. All the clones on the Amiga were awful. The Atari 800XL version was the best Boulder Dash i do remember, great game!

25. rob_b30

rob_b30

Boulder Dash! damn. I knew I left one off the list. I lost half my childhood in that game.

26. taumel

taumel

One further note regarding Defender of the Crown. I never played the Amiga CD32 version, it comes with nicer graphics, your greek fire and burning castles plus it's talkie. Although i still prefer the focus of the original version. ;O)

27. rob_b30

rob_b30

Funny. CD32. I was involved in an exclusive CD32 game. twas about the time Commodore were going bust and the local commodore guys came round and gave us a pallet of the things (CD32s, they couldn't shift them). we were using them as door stops and coffee coasters....

I think it had AGA graphics! and a planar chip no-one ever used!

28. taumel

taumel

Yep, this pain in the ass chipset no one wanted whilst everyone was hoping for the real stuff in form of triple A instead. Anyway that's part of the reason i liked the original Defender of the Crown more. Sachs used the limited palette wisely and so it was crisp and had more style. Quite some 256 coloured games instead looked kind of washed out and digitised those days.

29. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

Ultima Online. sorry im a MMO guy at heart even tho i owned a Commador, Atari and Pong system. So for me it has to be UO i have even played on free servers just to get the feel back.

30. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

31. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

WCW vs. NWO World Tour --- HELL YEAH!! I love that game and STILL play it... why??? because there hasn't been a better wrestling game since... the only close one was royal rumble on dreamcast.

I stopped playing wrestling games after like 2005, bc they're just terrible now...

32. TehWut

TehWut

Alright, what are all of your opinions on
    1. Ocarina of Time
    2. Half Life 2
    3. Super Mario Bros

These are apparently, "the greatest games ever" I have beaten all of these recently, so hopefully I can safely say without offense that all are somewhat overrated ( I mean, everything with hype is overrated). But here is my opinions of the 3 "greatest games ever"

1. Truly an artistic masterpiece. This nintendo franchise has never failed me. This game was very enjoyable and one of my favorites still. Although "powerful" (forget the cheesy words) It's not exactly the funnest game to play IMHO.

2. I got my hands on a copy of this recently. The story is good, but not what expected, same as the cinematics. This game is very fun to play and I enjoyed every episode and I've really taken a liking to the Half Life universe. It is no doubt a great and skillfully crafted game.

3. This game may get an unfair advantage for nostalgia points :p. Still, this game is pure amazing. The genious level design, lovable features and creatures that sparked an entire empire, memorable areas make this nearing my favorite game and "one of the greats". Boy this game can be difficult, though. I've never yelled as loud since the day I beat it.

33. Alric

Alric

Wow I remember Defender of the Crown being pretty fun but I wouldn't let it within a country mile of a best game ever thread!
    It came from the desert was also fun. Worth getting knocked out just for the nurse.
    In terms of simple, fun and beautifully implemented controls, Shufflepuck cafe!

34. Alex Mat

Alex Mat

GTA 2, nuff' said.

35. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

*yawn* sorry been playing MMOs with so much content they make a game like GTA feel like the first 20 levels in any good MMO. Short..... nice graphics tho, but also im not a car game lover even tho i have played them since like oh the atari lol

36. zul

zul

Adding my input here:

For PC, Half-Life and Half-Life 2. At first glance, they are standard FPS fare. When you dig deeper you see the masterpiece that is the art of their game design. Not just the art style, but the art of how the stories are told. Both of these games changed how I looked at all videogames.

On console, Zelda:OoT. I dont think I can say anything here that hasnt already been said. Nostalgia aside, the game was still amazing. One of those games that almost perfectly balances everything a videogame should be.

37. typane

typane

I'm a sucker for storyline and arthouse concept games but a single favorite is hard to decide upon:

The Path - Tale of Tales
    ICO and Shadow of the collosus - TeamICO
    Of course a few others but I can't think of them at this point in time

38. prefix

prefix

The Original Mario Bros!
    California Games for the Commodore 64 is up there somewhere too :)
    A Bards Tale, I had to give that an honorable mention :)

39. Madoc2012

Madoc2012

It will be GTA San Andreas for me. I love the game and play it very often to make my mood relaxed.

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I must say it is verry fun mowing down hundreds of people in gta or flying through tunnels in a plain :D

41. Tasarran

Tasarran

Master of Magic

Honorable mention:

Master of Orion II

42. ihybrd_Legacy

ihybrd_Legacy

Bio Hazard II
    Crysis II
    Fruit Ninjia

43. gore23

gore23

Agreed it is just amazing =D

44. Mr.M1k4

Mr.M1k4

Shadow of the Colossus

45. Trackpants

Trackpants

The thing I hate about Fruit Ninja is the fact that to get a high score, it's luck rather than skill, gotta hope for the right fruit etc.
    My best mate's brother actually did all the artwork for fruit ninja, he's the artist over at Half Brick :p

My Favourite Game would probably be Ocarina of Time. But I've had countless hours of fun playing "The New Tetris" on the 64 as well as Goldeneye 64 and Super Smash Bros. All of them

46. login4donald

login4donald

Metroid Prime FTW
    I also like Resident Evil 4
    Paper Mario TTYD
    ....Im a Nintnedo fan xp

47. fivearchers

fivearchers

Timesplitters 2 Future Perfect are way up there. I may slightly prefer 2.

48. rik338

rik338

Final Fantasy 7 it is for me.

49. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

hard to say but these are games I still play: Supaplex, Liero, command conquer, half life. I just can't decide because they are all great in there own way.

50. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Who cast 'Raise dead' on this thread? ... the greatest games ever...

* The Sims (1, 2, 3, ...) - Design a game where going to work, cleaning the dishes, and potty training a toddler is fun. Now, make it one of the highest grossing series of all times! Will Wright's best venture - inspirational.

* World of Warcraft - The game everyone loves to hate. 'QQ on yur MMO broz!' Hate it all you want, but study why it works and become a better game designer.

* League of Legends - Gets the 'free' model without breaking the game for $$ customers. Innovating the professional scene! A game you can play as pro, as joe-casual, or just with wife and kids. Fabulous work Riot!

Each changed our industry.

Gigi

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012