Search Unity

The greatest game ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techmage, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Rovelius

Rovelius

My favorite game ever is Metroid Prime, I completed that game at least 80 times since release day and it's still not old :)

Following is it's sequel, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, and Resident Evil 4, Animal Crossing, Bayonetta, Plok, Super Mario World, Super Smash Bros Melee, Einhänder, Valkyrie Profile 2, Phantasy Star Online and Metal Gear Solid 2. Oh and I liked Audiosurf a lot, too.

2. bigcatrik

bigcatrik

Robotron 2084, Tempest, Gorf, Phoenix, Millipede (coin-ops).
    Megamania, Street Racer (Atari 2600).
    Blockout (PC).

Simple, effective, addictive.

3. Piwot

Piwot

Hard... just too hard to write only one title... but i really enjoyed this games:

Popolus
    X-Com Enemy Unknown
    Flashback / Another World (Incredible how could they do so great games more then 15 years ago)
    Prince of Persia (The first one)
    Dune 1 / 2

4. taumel

taumel

I found Robotron 2084 really stressful but i was amazed by the 2084 and liked the colours as well as the sound effects.

5. Quietus2

Quietus2

I liked robotron, but felt Berserk was more fun. Iiirc, Berserk was also the first game that through it's speech gave you true audio immersion.

INTRUDER ALERT! GET THE HUMANOID!

Three decades later and that game's audio still pops into my head from time to time.

6. klaymator14

klaymator14

Hopefully the greatest game for me will be Sonic 4 or Sonic Colors :)

-Blayke

7. taumel

taumel

Yep, i agree, Berzerk just was more relaxing. On the other side Robotron 2084 built the base for many other games, so it's good that it was around.

8. gl33mer

gl33mer

I'd say it's Armagetron Advanced

Mainly because I've played it on many different setups and it just works.

Though it does depend on what servers one logs into - different gameplay.
    Try Cheers learn how to double bind first.

9. thomasmahler

thomasmahler

For me, it'd probably be A Link to the Past.

Games were a lot simpler back then and really forced you to read between the lines (like a book) - and this whole world was crazy atmospheric in my book. Add some gamedesign that _just works_, and boom, you got one hell of a game.

It's crazy that we haven't seen more Zelda clones out there (except for Okami and maybe Alundra) - the formula is so simple, yet so good.

10. puppeteer

puppeteer

That's the genius of it, isn't it? Seems so simple, yet keeps you playing for hours on end.

11. legendarylugi

legendarylugi

Finally someone says it! Majora's Mask! The game that rocked my childhood!

It's sad how little love Majora's Mask gets in comparison to Ocarina of Time, despite being, in my opinion, the superior game. The trouble is that Ocarina of Time did so much for gaming (and was the first to do it), that Majora's Mask was doomed to live in its shadow by mere virtue of having been made second. But Majora's Mask was more than a respectable sequel, it was the full realization of what the N64 had to offer. 3d adventure gaming at its finest!

I remember how the game simply dominated my thoughts growing up, even when I wasn't playing it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  12. Vaolinx

Vaolinx

For me it is definitely Shadow of the Colossus.

13. caldepen

caldepen

Games that I remember loving;

BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
    Faxanadu
    Dune 2
    Pool of Radiance
    Wolfenstein 3d - "Ah! Mein leiben"

14. LamentConfig

LamentConfig

Elite for the BBC :) Only had the tape version, though I remember going to a computer club as a kid and being wow'ed at all the extra ships in the disk version. Still dang sweet to this day :)

15. Artimese

Artimese

Realistically would be Dead space, Darksiders, and Doom 3... But since so many ppl insist on old fashion games, then that would be Rapture: Call of the shadows!!!! Most epic 94' game ever!

16. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

But it isn't about old games, its literally about what game you find the best and it just so happens that many people like the older games better.

17. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Dead Space and Darksiders are good games. Darksiders in particular has a lot of borrowed ideas from many of the games mentioned on this list (like Zelda, as well as God of War, Buffy, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, etc.) So, in a sense, by picking Darksiders, you're acknowledging "the old". ;)

As for "greatest game ever", it is hard to pick just one. So, I'll just throw out some things that I think are "greatest 'gameS' ever":

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 - SNES. Amazing harmony of level design and play mechanics.
    2. Wipeout XL - PSX. Showed that a package can be total, from top to bottom. The music, the SFX, the menus, everything was a screaming cohesion of rave culture.
    3. Quake 3 Arena - PC. What's this?!? A multiplayer-only game!? It'll never sell! Oh wait?! It sold millions? People still play it 10 years later?
    4. Half-Life - PC. Single-handedly saved FPS's from becoming a niche genre. Introduced real-time narrative and showed that you could have moments of "non-shooting" in a first person shooter and still be engaged.
    5. Jumpman - Atari 8-bit / C64. Amazing level design and one of the most fluid and dynamic player characters, up until the release of Prince of Persia.
    6. Street Fighter II - Arcade. Took competitive gaming and made it mainstream. Not only did arcades explode, but every local mom pop liquor store was pulling in $300 a week, thanks to this game.
    7. Burnout Revenge - X360. The Street Fighter of racing games. 60fps, some of the best online matchmaking evar! Nothing has touched it for pure blazing competitive racing.
    8. Resident Evil - PSX. Took what Alone in the Dark started and sharpened it to a sharp point (much like Sony did with the Walkman to GE and it's "portable cassette recorder"... oh wait... I'm really showing my age, now).
    9. R-Type - Arcade. Hands down, one of the best shooters of all time, period. Amazing mechanics and more importantly, every level was different and every level had a boss that was a window into the twisted nightmares of the game's creator(s).
    10. Bruce Lee - Atari 8-bit / C64. A brilliant mix of platforming, puzzles and combat. Without Bruce Lee, there'd be no Ninja Gaiden, Batman, Devil May Cry, etc.
    11. Karateka - Atari 8-bit / C64 / Apple. One of the most cinematic games, in a time when there was no such thing. It still boggles my mind that the Mechner bros. could come up with such a thing back in what... 1984??

I could go on for days and I was going to stop at 10, but I felt both Bruce Karateka needed a mention... hell, more keep coming to mind!

Must ... stop... posting... now.

18. magnetica

magnetica

19. loadexfa

loadexfa

For me Deus Ex though there are a lot of strong contenders out there

20. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

looks like nobody played Mafia : The City of Lost Heaven here

21. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

There are 100s of great games.

But the greatest one ever?
    I guess that would be Tetris then.

After that maybe Super Mario World on SNES.

22. jkreijkamp

jkreijkamp

Hmm, touch to call just one the best, would be one of:
    A-maze-ing on TI-99/4A (don't wanna know how many hours I wasted on that as a kid together with my sister)
    Elite on BBC Micro
    Orion II on PC
    also loved
    Eternal Darkness on GC
    Jade Empire on XBox

23. dafishanator

dafishanator

Metroid prime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Pre-update team fortress 2

25. cupsster

cupsster

Wipeout line, Deus Ex 1, Fallout 12, System Shock series
    they don't make them like that any more... ;(

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  26. Borealis

Borealis

Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VI. <3

27. sokco816

sokco816

The Uncharted series! All of my favorite types of gameplay, crammed into one awesome game!

28. trooper

trooper

Has to be Daggerfall. Make your own fun with swords and magic.

29. jgdeschamps

jgdeschamps

Let's see... a list according to the ones I actually played in their times and owned the systems, and then a winner out of the list...
    - 70s or early 80s arcade: Star Wars (the vector grapics game where you'd pilot an X-Wing)
    - Pong: Duh, Pong (inherited that thing from my dad)
    - Atari 2600: Empire Strikes Back
    - Intellivision: Armor Battle
    - Nintendo Entertainment System: Super Mario Bros. 3 AND Batman. Honorary: Tetris
    - Sega Master System: Space Harrier 3D (yes, I was one of the three people in the world that bought those glasses -it's sarcasm, of course-)
    - Late 80s arcade: Splatterhouse AND Robocop
    - 90s arcade: T2 - Judgement Day AND Darius Gaiden
    - Sega Genesis: Mmmh... Sonic The Hedgehog 2 AND Gaiares. Honorary: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    - Super NES: Supers Ghouls n' Ghosts AND Contra III: The alien wars
    - Nintendo 64: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (with the video memory expansion pack, of course)
    - Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure AND F355 Challenge AND Resident Evil: Code Veronica AND Sword of the Berserker
    - PC Game: Doom 3
    And the winner is... man, I can't do this!!!
    I can tell you the following: NOTE: PERSONAL OPINIONS AND RANTS EXPRESSED... Contemporary games are sometimes so boring. Dress your character, playing just to find out what happens with the story, horrible game rythm walking or running from room A to room B wasting 2 or 3 minutes just to get rid of 4 enemies while playing scavenger hunt, watching 15 minutes of a great looking animation before beginning to play, only to find out that the game is really a mod of another game... meh. They try so hard to be realistic, that they end up forgetting that we play to escape reality, to be entertained. In my defense, I was one of those kids that loved it when you got blisters on your thumbs, cause that meant you got faster smashing those game pad directional and trigger buttons. Old school action games all the way. Hand/eye coordination was put to test constantly -not every 3 minutes or more,- no need for a story since all you knew was that either you had to rescue your girl, or had a grudge or revenge against the final boss while breaking time/points records, and your hero could look like poop as long as it wore sunglasses or had "attitude." You want "brain games"? Then you play Tetris or Columns. RPGs are for japanese kids. Hehehe... cheers!

30. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

31. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

yeah!

32. shadow explorer

shadow explorer

sonic the hedgehog 2 on mega drive for me ^^

33. yoshino

yoshino

34. spinaljack

spinaljack

Dungeon keeper 1 + 2
    Startopia
    Deus Ex

35. dissidently

dissidently

36. MrF1_TOPFUEL

MrF1_TOPFUEL

Ok for me will always be speed devils online if you played it you know my name for I was the fastest macro f1 driver I had the best race time on almost every track speed devil online was is the best game ever made wish I could play it still online be so sweet

37. Acissathar

Acissathar

My favorite game from the past that I can think of is Aero Fighters Assualt for the N64. I remember spending hours playing that with a friend just flying around and destroying everything.

For the greatest game ever however, I'd have to say that's Ocarina of Time hands down.

38. TehWut

TehWut

Pikmin 2
    Super Mario World
    N

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Speech in the old games really bring them forward, see if you can guess these!

Stay a while... stay forever!

Beware, I live!

40. Farfarer

Farfarer

Deus Ex is probably the best game ever made (in my opinion :p).
    System Shock 2, Psychonauts, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Shadow of the Colossus, The Longest Journey... all of them are up there vying for second place, though :)

41. Dewy

Dewy

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time . Hands down my favourite game.

42. tomvds

tomvds

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Honorable mention for Wizardry 7, the first game that got me really hooked ;).

43. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Shadow of the Colossus is up there for me. Asheron's Call, too.

44. ivanzu

ivanzu

Super Mario!

45. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

46. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Carmen San Diego! :-0

47. Meltdown

Meltdown

Favourite Arcade Game -> Legend of Rygar, Ghosts Goblins
    Favourite FPS -> Unreal Tournament Original, Battlefield BC 2
    Favourite Action -> Mafia I
    Favourite Strategy -> C&C Series
    Favourite RPG -> Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    Favourite Adventure -> Colonel's Bequest
    Favourite MMO's -> Mortal Online, EVE Online

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  48. Meltdown

Meltdown

I absolutely loved that game. I wish for nothing more than a sequel to come out :p

49. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Mine too, you can't beat it (meaning it's the best, not unbeatable! :D lol)!

50. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

Ditto. Myst is what got me interested in game development.