Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Simulation The Great Exhibition of 1851 in VR

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by HookedWit, Jun 18, 2023.

1. HookedWit

HookedWit

The Great Exhibition ran from May to October 1851 in London's Hyde Park, in a temporary building known as the Crystal Palace. Six million visitors passed through the turnstiles, to view over 100,000 individual exhibits. Now, over 170 years later, we are recreating the exhibition as an immersive VR experience (Unity/SteamVR).
    Initial progress is described here:

Antypodish, Deleted User and DevDunk like this.
  2. HookedWit

HookedWit

An update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Completion of the gallery. Various changes to better reflect the actual form & colour schemes of the real building. Issues re rendering performance:

3. HookedWit

HookedWit

I'm really chuffed how my model is looking (first image: early 1852, as the Great Exhibition building is starting to be dismantled; second image: roughly the same view in my model) DP214803.jpg temp.jpg

4. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851 (the completion of the roof, including Shepherd's Electric Clock):

Antypodish likes this.
  5. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851 (adding the Hyde Park environment, the elm trees, the boiler house):

Antypodish and Kronnect like this.
  6. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851: adding the banners - and learn about misspelt names; interloping (not yet) United States; Zollverein; and a big boost for J Schweppe & Co.:

Antypodish likes this.
  7. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851: adding flags and coats of arms:

8. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851: completing the coats of arms in the British nave:

Antypodish likes this.
  9. halley

halley

That is a great start to a wonderful exhibit. For more steam era inspiration as you play, the later half of the gorgeous anime film "Steam Boy" takes place in and around that building.

HookedWit likes this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

This vids, voiced with strong British accent, sounds very interesting :)

HookedWit likes this.
  11. HookedWit

HookedWit

Will check it out.

12. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851: the (African) elephant in the Indian section:

Antypodish likes this.
  13. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851: Liverpool docks & other exhibits added to the nave:

14. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Including: information about Thomas Lucas' school of The London Society for Teaching the Blind to Read, and the statue of Dr Jenner.

15. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Including: the model bridge from the New York Iron Bridge Company; the large Earthen Wine Jar (or "tinaja") from Toboso in Spain; the Roe & Hanson Fountain in the North transept; Dent's Turret Clock; the Ross Telescope.

16. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Including: the Seeley market-place fountain; the Blind School displays; Harriet Ross' Stone Cross; pillars of Madrepore marble; The Greek Huntsman by John Gibson in the British Sculpture Room; the exhibition post-box:

17. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. How I captured Queen Victoria!

18. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. As per the title - 14 sculptures added.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's a great idea! Good luck! :)

HookedWit likes this.
  20. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. A somewhat different video this time: looking at the various sources used to define the simulation.

Deleted User likes this.
  21. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Assorted additions to nave.

Deleted User likes this.
  22. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Canada.

Deleted User likes this.
  23. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Refreshment Courts: Schweppes, Younghusband & Masters

Deleted User likes this.
  24. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Starting to add the French exhibits:

25. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Some more statues and the Koh-i-Noor diamond:

Antypodish likes this.
  26. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The origin of the euphemism "to spend a penny":

Antypodish likes this.
  27. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. A number of exhibits, most with Royal connections:

Antypodish likes this.
  28. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Sculptures, paintings, illustrations, maps, mables & other art:

Antypodish likes this.
  29. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. From our visit to the Coalbrookdale Museum of Iron:

Antypodish likes this.
  30. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. William Wallace, Chance Brothers lighthouse lens, Woodruff tables, Nasmyth Steam Hammer, William Shakespeare:

Antypodish likes this.
  31. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. China, the Ottoman Empire

Antypodish likes this.
  32. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Last Sunday we went on a road trip to photograph 3 statues, here is the result:

Antypodish likes this.
  33. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Coalbrookdale greyhound dog & dome, Yorkshire stands, Axminster carpet

Antypodish and APSchmidt like this.
  34. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Duke of Rutland by Edward Davis; stands in the agriculture department; Edmund Crosskill, wheel manufacturer

Antypodish likes this.
  35. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. We battled through the recent floods to reach University College Oxford to photograph Eldon & Stowell, displayed in the Western Nave of the Great Exhibition:

Antypodish likes this.
  36. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Cottam & Hallen gates; fountains by John Thomas and J. P. Victor André; United States shield:

Antypodish likes this.
  37. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The project is now 7 months old. This video shows large parts of the transept & nave, as seen with and without a VR headset.

Antypodish and marteko like this.
  38. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Cheesewring Column and linen manufacturers (yes, there is a connection)

Antypodish likes this.
  39. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Adding the last of 7 fountains. Plus a second lighthouse lens. And Scottish Regimental Tartans.

Antypodish likes this.
  40. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Large glass sheet, Royal Navy anchors, railway level crossing gates & signal post.

Antypodish likes this.
  41. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Before synthetic materials, animal products were used widely in fashion.

Antypodish likes this.
  42. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Prince Albert's Model House was erected in Hyde Park Barracks, just South of the Crystal Palace. After the Great Exhibition closed it was relocated to Kennington.

Antypodish likes this.
  43. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Many sculptures at the Great Exhibition are now lost, untraced or not accessible - we are starting to deal with them.

Antypodish likes this.
  44. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Into the gallery & some eccentric exhibits: a barometer powered by leeches & (trigger warning) a wax model of a dissected head - plus some non-eccentric statuettes.

Antypodish likes this.
  45. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Adding a number of sculptures, including several I modelled on a trip to London & Devon a couple of weeks ago:

Antypodish likes this.
  46. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Two lost sculptures have been recreated, plus more from our trip to London & Devon a couple of weeks ago:

Antypodish likes this.
  47. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Some of the more functional fixtures & fittings:

48. HookedWit

HookedWit

The latest update on my VR simulation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Queen Victoria's retiring room; statue of horse and dragon; Spiers & Son's papier-mâché goods. The Willis organ:

Antypodish likes this.
  49. Antypodish

Antypodish

Amazing work for staying dedicated to it, for such long time.

What keeps you motivated for this project?

50. HookedWit

HookedWit

Well, being retired I have the time...

But, visiting the various places (often accessing areas the general public are not normally allowed); meeting interesting people; seeing amazing works of art up close; etc.. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Enzo36t and Pitou22 like this.