Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Girl and the Robot

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Salim, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Salim

Salim

Hello unity community!
    I wanted to let you know about a new project I am working on using Unity.
    It's an action/adventure game about a little girl trying to escape from an evil castle. The castle is filled with hordes of steam powered robots trying to capture her. While trying to find a way out, she meets a defective robot that can be controlled remotely. The gameplay consist of switching between the two avatars in order to clear puzzles and progress inside the castle.

Our latest trailer:

You can check the progress blog at http://flyingcarpetsgames.com/
    Please tell me what you think and give me your advises.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    RavenOfCode and mlamanna like this.
  2. magictroll

magictroll

I LOVE the premise! It sort of gives me an Ico/Shadow of the Colossus vibe which is a very, very good thing! I can't wait to see more of your project Salim :D

3. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

You have a typo in link :).

4. c-Row

c-Row

At this early stage I think it's a bit difficult to give proper advice, but I like the idea and look forward to see more of your work.

5. Overwind

Overwind

Nice idea - small girl teamed with big monster (robot) is a classic combination that always goes down well. Good luck thinking up the puzzles - that bit of a design always drives me crazy :)

6. L-Tyrosine

L-Tyrosine

Are you going to use the Royksopp's music as soundtrack? :)

7. Salim

Salim

Thanks! fixed!

8. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

The font on the entry page of your website is very nice! Good luck with the project. I'm a big fan of puzzle platformers :)

9. snicholls

snicholls

One of my fav tracks... I thought of ICO instantly thou.

10. Salim

Salim

Haha, it probably won't have that song and the title is not final yet. And yes, Ico is a big inspiration!

11. Salim

Salim

Hello community,
    I just finished re-texturing the girl. Here's some pic in Unity. I used a double face shader so that it renders under the dress has well.

Please comment here or on my blog: girl-robot.com
    Thanks!

12. U7Games

U7Games

Interesting... it has some kind of Alice American Mcgee , excuse i´m a fool comparing games hehe, i like your project.

13. Salim

Salim

Hey Unity people!
    I just finished texturing the robot I will use in my game. Let me know what you think. And you can visit my blog to see more pictures:
    www.girl-robot.com
    Thank you!

14. JelleHusson

JelleHusson

Hey Salim!

It's coming along nicely, but Im just wondering:
    If you're trying to emphasize wear on edges, perhaps he would look better if you did not paint a light edge over every actual physical edge.
    Maybe it is exactly this look that you want, but right now every single polygon individually stands out. Normally you would want to create an illusion of wear, and "mask" he fact that it's a low poly model....

For instance, The helmet and shoulderpads seem like pretty smooth surfaces to me, but they seem to have too many of those worn edges. In the shield you didn't do this so I'm wondering what your intention was/is...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  15. Salim

Salim

Thanks JelleHusson, I felt like something was off, but what you said made it clear. I wanted to have a "wear" feel but I think I went overboard a little. I redid the bronze texture and went easy on the edge this time. Let me know what you think.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That robot looks fabulous :D

17. Salim

Salim

Thank you :)

18. Salim

Salim

I started working on the texture of the suspended cell where the hero of my game starts her adventure. The cell is suspended by a big chain to one of the castle’s tower. After that, I did a skybox texture and imported everything into Unity to see what I could do with the lighting. Enjoy, and let me know what you think. You can see more pictures on the project's site: girl-robot.com.

19. Vert

Vert

I love the art style. Reminds me of Prince of Persia that came out in 2007. Even the drawbridge in your early footage looks fantastic. Having the moving gears when the lever is switched is a very nice touch of detail. I can't wait to see more.

20. Salim

Salim

Thank you MakerOfGamers for your support! Yes, if are you talking about the cell shaded one, I just loved the art style in that game. I just started learning how to do hand drawn textures, and I think it's perfect for my fairy tale like game. I also think that this style will age very well without having to use the latest crazy intense over the top shaders.

21. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks nice Salim, good job on the characters and the environment so far :)

22. Chipmunk9998_legacy

Chipmunk9998_legacy

Looks awesome, the idea looks interesting.

23. TehWut

TehWut

Looks very good! but if I might point out, the Robot looks a little bit more like stone than metal, but good nonetheless!

24. Salim

Salim

Thanks guys for your support!

@TehWut: That's very interesting, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I re-touch the texture at some point.

25. Salim

Salim

Hello!
    After two weekends of texturing, I’m finally done (or kinda done) with the first small tower. I’m starting to like doing hand painted textures and I had lots of fun.
    Please give me some feedback,
    Also, you see more pictures and play a very early online build on my blog:
    www.girl-robot.com

thanks!

26. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Excellent design of the game overall, I love the style. Also the robot looks awsome! very Gundam like.
    I even really like the whole idea of the story and gameplay its so original! :)

27. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Very nice build. My first critique would be that the mouse look function is very sensitive...found myself whipping around wildly just trying to look around. It's an easy fix I'm sure, just thought I would mention it.

28. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Your level design is very impressive. The cell particularly looks good. Especially the way you made the light cascade through the barred window, it gives the scene a great deal of immersion. Makes you think of the little girl looking out of it. Also the textures on the walls and floors have a solid look about it.

That said, I will give one criticism. "The Girl and The Robot" is a terrible name. Sorry, it just is. You ought the make them into a duet type name. Ratchet and Clank, Tom and Jerry, Abbott and Costello, (girl) and (robot)... It also leads the player to make an instant personable relation to the characters.

I think you should also focus on the two's physical interactions. Like rather than the Ico tugging the girl around, you might want to go for the girl uses the robot like a jungle-gym. Just a thought.

Great stuff so far, really looking forward to watching the whole thing come together.

29. Salim

Salim

Hey thanks guys for your comments and support, they are very valuable!

@Snowconesolid: I love gundam :D but I was hoping the robot not been too futuristic, he is suppose to look like an old rusty antique. I might have to rework him a bit.

@JameArndt: Thanks for the input, I was thinking of retouching the camera soon, It might just be the next thing on my list.

@pat,mathis: The title is a place older one, but I get what you are saying. The reason I choose girl and robot is because since it's a fairy tale game and I don't want to give the characters specific names, like some old fairy tales characters. I might change the title later on though. And yes, I'm planing some cool interaction between the 2 characters :)

30. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

I disagree. It sounds like the name of a fairytale, which is what this game is aiming for.

31. wccrawford

wccrawford

I'm of 2 minds about it. It actually isn't a bad name, and I could see it selling well. It's memorable and pleasant. But it lacks pizazz and it might be hard to Google due to the generic words.

32. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Love the game concept, like the idea behind the name, but as mentioned above it lacks a certain something. I immediately though of 'A Girl and Her Robot', which although isn't much snappier, does mirror the common saying of a 'A Boy and his Dog' (anyone seen the Don Johnson sci-fi movie of the same name?) , however I'm unsure if it 'fits' your game?

33. Salim

Salim

This is good feedback guys for the name, I really appreciate it :) I'll think more about it when everything starts looking more like an actual game.

34. angel_m

angel_m

Excellent art and design. I like the style very much.

35. Salim

Salim

This weekend I made the first video diary about basic camera and hint bubbles; expect a video once in a while to cover more technical stuff! Enjoy!

36. gerryfin

gerryfin

can't wait to see more

37. Salim

Salim

Ok I didn’t do much the last few weeks, but I did manage to finish this spiral tower that connect to the start of the level. The area after is where the real gameplay begins, stay tuned :)

38. xniinja

xniinja

That looks really cool, keep up the good work :D

39. Salim

Salim

@xniinja: Thank you! :)

40. Salim

Salim

This weekend I finished an animation system in which the movement speed of a character is based on the animation rather than set in code for a more realistic look.

The following animation may seem basic, but the robot's speed actually changes each frame to the speed set by the animator at that frame. This is a very good thing since characters don't always move at a constant speed during their walk cycle. For example, if a character is injured and is limping while walking, he's movement speed will need to change a lot during his walk cycle. Thank you for your comment and you can visit my blog for more info!

41. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Looking great! Awesome work on the animation tech.

42. Salim

Salim

This week, I decided to take the artist hat again and add details to the beginning of the first level. The game starts off with the main character (girl) escaping from towers to towers while the player learns the basic controls of the game.

I made a few more hand painted textures including some vines and wood platforms. Let me know what you think. Also, It’s suppose to take place in the late afternoon; let me know if I didn’t get the lighting right. Thank you!

Visit my site for more pictures!

43. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Very nice textures. I like the idea of the player having 2 characters to control.
    Can't wait to see some interaction. I think you know a hell of a lot more about
    programming then I looking at your portfolio :)

44. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I love your texturing style. It reminds of of skyward sword.

45. Salim

Salim

Thanks! Yes Zelda is a big inspiration. I'm half way through playing skyward sword actually. I love it, but I just wish I could play with a traditional controller :p

46. Salim

Salim

Hey guys!

This week I did a little bit of scripting by refining the lever switch. From the lever switch, we can now trigger the animation of multiple interactive objects and even set a delay between each of them. I also worked on a first lift mechanism. The tricky part was to make the characters stay on the lift; after much debugging, I finally got it to work smoothly. Sorry, no sound effects or particles yet, and also please don’t mind the characters, they are only placeholders. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  47. LeakySink

LeakySink

I had the platform problem myself. Did you do something with parenting them to the lift in the end?

48. Salim

Salim

@LeakySink
    Yes, exactly. I had to put a trigger on my lift that makes my character a child of the lift. I don't really understand why the unity team didn't make it automatic for a moving object with a collider to push another object with a collider.

49. timyung

timyung

Concept sounds great, current models you've got look awesome. Nice project, good luck!

Edit : Robot's animations are looking good, can't wait to see the girl's ones. ;-)

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

OMG! this looks sooo good :D