Search Unity

Official The Future of Unity Feedback

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Buhlaine, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

How, exactly, do you do that if Unity has discarded the information that specifically states whether or not it has been rotated? (I haven't tested this behaviour - I haven't imported a JPEG into a Unity project for years - I'm relying on OP's description and the bug report)

(On the one hand, it's ridiculous for Unity to mark this as WONTFIX: better for Unity to admit they just don't support core JPEG!. On the other hand: I assume that what the reviewer really meant was "I don't believe you should ever be using JPEG's in a game engine", which would make more sense and has some merit in it.

...except, on the third hand: this assumes no-one puts user-generated-content (photos of players, real world, etc) into their games. I've had to do that before :))

neonblitzer likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I must admit why you talk about image formats instead of acting on the sprite renderer itself. I suspected that images imported in Unity are automatically added to game objects in a sprite renderer. To answer your question:
    • you can rotate the game object that contains the sprite renderer by as many degrees as you want (here -90°) around the Z axis,
    • flipping the x axis of the sprite renderer using "spriteRenderer.flipX = true;" will rotate the sprite by -180° around the Y axis,
    • flipping the y axis using "spriteRenderer.flipX = true;" will rotate the sprite by -180° around the X axis.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     private SpriteRenderer spriteRenderer;
    6.     private Transform rotationZ;
    8.     private void Start()
    9.     {
    10.         rotationZ = GetComponent<Transform>();
    11.         spriteRenderer = GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
    12.     }
    14.     private void Update()
    15.     {
    16.         if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space))
    17.         {
    18.             rotationZ.Rotate(new Vector3(0f, 0f, -90f));
    19.             spriteRenderer.flipX = true;
    20.         }
    21.     }
    22. }

3. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

You deleted the part of my question, the part that is the key point, and - unless I misunderstood OP's bug report, and questions - is the problem OP is reporting:

Anyone can rotate a sprite, that is trivial. But without EXIF data, how do you know the orientation of the incoming sprite?

neonblitzer likes this.
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

@a436t4ataf you are over complicating stuff.
    You provide texture for your mesh in "0 rotation". Simply horizontally in most cases.
    Then rotate sprite, or other mesh, with texture on it.
    Most formats of image for texture is perfectly fine, if quality vs compression satisfy a need.

5. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

1. Cameras know which way is up when they take a photo.
    2. If you rotate a camera sideways, it takes the photo sideways but it saves EXIF data to say "the camera was rotated 90 degrees when this photo was taken; when you open it on a computer, unrotate it by 90 degrees, or else the ground will appear tilted and people will be sideways instead of up"
    3. (originally this was done for performance reasons, if I remember correctly. But it has advantages in that it lets you rotate/unrotate images losslessly even with lossy formats like JPEG)
    4. When you open one of those files in Unity, if you do not read the EXIF data, you will sometimes display your textures upside-down, or rotated left, or rotated right - it depends how the person taking the photo was holding the camera (or phone) when they pressed the shutter button.

If - for instance - in my game I want players to take a selfie that is displayed in chat ... without the EXIF data, if they turn the camera sideways or upside-down they will get a sideways or upside-down photo in-game, with no way for them to fix it (which is USUALLY not what you want to happen).

As a game developer, I have no way of knowing which way the incoming photo is rotated.

Oh! Except I do! It's called EXIF data, and it was invented some 27 years ago to solve this problem :).

neonblitzer likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you contact someone in Unity and ask them what you should use in replacement? They didn't discard a feature without replacing it.

7. fct509

fct509

Unity might not discard a tool without replacing it, but as for discarding a feature... From what I've seen, Unity has a bit of a habit of discarding one tool in favor for another tool that's less featured (resulting in discarded features). This very feedback forum is one such example.

As for the EXIF data, if neither the Unity Engine nor Asset Store has a ready solution, then I guess that the following code can serve as a good starting point for @a436t4ataf https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/47486/Understanding-and-Reading-Exif-Data

8. qwqweeo123

qwqweeo123

2019.3.0f3 when press a key like w a s d the editorloop will be 90 precent in profiler, the frame decrease so much

9. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

2019.3.0f3 Inspector text is nearly unreadable. This is 100% UI default settings.
    The object name appears in regular text for non-prefabs.
    I do approve of the new font in general, but some bold texts are fuzzy and not at all clear.
    Untitled.png

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    gferrari likes this.
  10. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

I'm really not pleased with 2019.3.0f3, it's far too bland and grey, everything looks so monotone, with little context to differentiate things apart, because it's all grey. Colour is used far too sparsely.

Please loose the wireframe icons they are terrible, they blend in with the lines of the borders for windows and don not stand out, making it difficult to recognise the item you are looking for.

Perhaps the graphics department at Unity should see some therapists to correct their monotone depression, or at least allow us to change from a depressing and monotone grey scheme to something with a bit more colour.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    gferrari likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

This button is still usable, even if you have toggled "visibility" off in the scene view.

The tilemaps are set "invisible" in the hierarchy view (white outline), but, since the "visibility"tool is disabled in the scene view (blue outline) they are still visible.

Capture.JPG

12. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

Thank you for pointing that out, I deleted the post as it's not relevant.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

All right. :) I'll leave mine though, it could be useful to others.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Try change font in Edit->Preferences->Generals.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  15. creepteks

creepteks

The subfolder selector in unity3d has been removed since unity 2019.3.x. Prior to unity 2019.3, the selector was active even in the root folder, but starting from 2019.3, this was removed. I wanna know about the reasons for this and ask to know if it's possible to bring it back!!! it was really handy.
    1.png 2.png

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't understand what you are talking about and your screen captures are not helping, sorry.

17. Antypodish

Antypodish

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, that! Well, it's a pity if this functionality has been removed... :(

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

They are still active in 2020.1; I guess it's just dysfunctional in 2019.3.

Sans-titre-1.jpg

20. Antypodish

Antypodish

That's correct. That where I got my screenshot from too.

21. creepteks

creepteks

@APSchmidt
    sorry for the misleading screen captures. What I actually meant was the subfolder selector ">" that was available, even in the root "asset" folder in 2019.1 and 2, but starting with 2019.3, the selector is only available when you enter into at least 1 subfolder.
    2.png 1.png

22. Antypodish

Antypodish

@mahdad_baghani it wasn't there in 2019.2, and I don't even recall to be even 2018.
    Actually is no point, since you see folders and files just beneath (Unity 2019.2).
    upload_2019-12-16_21-29-46.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  23. creepteks

creepteks

I am pretty sure it was there before 2019.3.x, but I know it was not in 2018 and I didn't say anything about 2018. It was handy since you could configure the project windows to show large icons and at the same time, have a list-view of the total subfolders of the Asset folder.

24. Antypodish

Antypodish

No it wasn't, as the last screenshot I did, was from 2019.2. I also had 2019.1 and 2018.x. Sorry but I am not recalling such feature.

Maybe you can install relevant Unity version, and show what you mean, with actual screenshot?

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

I agree.

Maybe you were using some custom editor script?

26. qwqweeo123

qwqweeo123

When I press any key, such as the WASDF key, the number of frames drops a lot, and the Editorloop is expensive in Profile, even in an empty scene.

Attached Files:

27. qwqweeo123

qwqweeo123

in unity2019.3.0f3

28. keni4

keni4

1. Bug.
    My animation clips is 60 fps based. Why transition window shows everything in 30 fps? This is even not normalized time [0..1]. It is really hard to understand timing of transition in relation to animation clips.

2. Feature request.
    I have an animation events in my clips and it is important that execution order of these events should be right. Transition window does not show where exactly events are placed. So it is became difficult to configure transitions. Things are getting worse if methods in the code accepts only events with state weight == 1f. And so it would be very handy to see where events are placed on the animation clip. May be something like that:

29. Juandapp

Juandapp

Clear light bothers me, everything in my house is dark because of my sencibility, less unity, I have no income to pay more, leave a darker gray for the free version, or, gray and black for the free version, and implement many colors For the Plus and Pro version, it is more insentive. I love the black of GMS2

Sorry, my English is not Native.

akathdrake likes this.
  30. Antypodish

Antypodish

What about people, which don't want to use dark theme? Wouldn't be unfair other way round?
    I think Unity made wise choice, to go into middle ground, setting quite neutral gray color. Is neither bright, nor dark.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh no, don't do that... ;)

Everyone who would like a free dark theme would obviously like it to be a choice in the preferences. :d

Antypodish likes this.
  32. Antypodish

Antypodish

If Unity provides theme selection option in free version, I am fully up for it.

33. John-Silver-Long

John-Silver-Long

Some stuff they mark as WONTFIX is ridiculous they even won´t fix the duplicate bug were duplicated prefabs get wrong RTS values and i had to write a small editor workaround for it.

I did buy the license for unity5 and they left those people that own the same license with a half broken product and support.
    It´s clear to me they realy have chosen a different path than when i started to work with unity like you see with most company´s that grow to big and fast.

So still working with unity 5 but have no plans to upgrade to new versions at the moment, for now i just keep a eye on unity and all other engines popping up these days.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  34. creepteks

creepteks

this is a screenshot from unity 2018.3.8f1
    2018.3.8.png
    So, there actually was such a feature in unity and it's been removed. I guess it was removed with introducing the new UI in 2019.x

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

What would be the point of an arrow at that place displaying a list of the whole content of the project window when the whole content displays already in that window?

Capture.JPG

36. creepteks

creepteks

I think you are missing out the point. First I just wanted to show that such a thing existed in Unity not so long time ago and wanted to know the reasons for its removal.
    secondly, that arrow opens up a list view, which helps you have your project folder to display large icons (when you want to look up items that have visuals) and at the same time, have a nice list view helping you to navigate quickly between folders in Assets with minimum amount of scrolling. Isn't that obvious??
    you saying it's pointless, but let me ask you one question. Imagine you are in Assets/Material and the list-view arrow is there. what's the point of its existence? don't you have access to all the files and directories inside the Materials folder from the project window?? If you're thinking you might want to inspect other folders rather than materials, for ex. Assets/Textures, you would probably argue that the arrow would come in handy. but Doesn't project folder already provide a "navigate back" functionality? after navigating back you again have access to the Assets from project window and from there you could go to Textures.
    can you see the fallacy here?? What you are saying doesn't make sense. If it's pointless in the root asset folder, it's pointless everywhere.
    But the arrow list-view selector (which was complementary to project window navigation functionalities) made sense since everyone in my team started loving this feature because it helped a lot. You know why? because navigating merely with the use of Project window brings upon a lot of zooming in/outs specially if you have lots of directories inside Assets. This feature, no matter how tiny it appeared, was a huge UX booster.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    neonblitzer and a436t4ataf like this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's you who don't see my point but I won't argue any more about this; I don't have the time.

38. DGSpartanWolf

DGSpartanWolf

RTL languages plzzzzzzz!

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does anyone in the dev team actually read this thread?

I have a major gripe against Unity, all versions, and it's about the scene view.

I have two scenes in my project, when I load one of them in the editor, it keeps the scene view as it was in the other scene and I must adjust it again to the current scene; when I load the other scene, the scene view uses the one I set in the previous scene and so on. Why isn't there a way (that I know of) to make the scene view to "remember" its position in each scene?

And, no, the lock button doesn't help.

40. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I thought this was a new bug that only appeared recently - I'm sure this worked correctly in Unity 4, 5, etc. When you say "all versions", which have you checked? (And have you filed a but report?)

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, all the versions I've used in my current project, which must be about all the 2019.2 versions and part of the 2019.1. I haven't filed a bug report since I think it's an oversight. And, when I file bug reports I almost always get answers saying that they can't reproduce the problem.

42. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I only noticed it in 2019.1 onwards, suspiciously at the same time I jumped from pre-multiscene versions to SceneManager / multi-scene editing stuff, which has taken years for them to remove the bugs from. So I assumed it's a bug introduced by that. Making a repro project should be easy?

43. Opeth001

Opeth001

Hello Everyone,
    i a problem related to to Unity and i have no idea how to fix it so im adding my Feedback here in case someone has a workaround and let Unity Know about it.

by Setting the Frame using application.targetframerate the game is running flawlessly in the editor with Constant DeltaTimes 60FPS (~0,0166667s) & 40FPS (~0,025s). the Player Build (Android) is Perfectly running at
    60FPS (~0.0165....s) but so laggy when limiting the FPS even at 59FPS.
    this is how deltaTimes looks like at 40FPS (0.03308875, 0.00001, 0.03309203, 0.03311411, 0.02692817, 0.006139117, 0.03307073, .......) the fact that the game is running flawlessly at 60FPS in the Player Build means that it's not related to GC or any resource problem but it's juste Unity killing the Frame Spacing by giving a high varience between them.

Interpolated Positions at 40FPS in the Editor:

Interpolated Positions at 40FPS in the Player Build:

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When you limit the framerate with vsync on it will divide it instead as vsync prevents it going any faster. This is rounded down, so 59 will become 30.

Unity's Application.targetFrameRate should not be used by anyone developing in Unity. Instead the best behaviour is to use vsync by default, and if the user wants, they can disable vsync in the menu.

Your code should function fine regardless of framerate.

Opeth001 likes this.
  45. Opeth001

Opeth001

im sorry but i'am stack in this problem from 2 weeks now and the whole time i was looking if i have problems in my code.

can you please clarify some doubts to me ?

my game prototype is stable at 60FPS for Medium/High end devices, i read in the official documentation, the best approach is to make the game stable for 60fps then set it to 30fps.

1) how can i set it to run at a perfect and smooth 30fps?
    cause when i touch the Application.targetFrameRate the frame rate goes crazy if the value is different than 60fps.

2) most of performant devices are looking for a Good Quality and a Smooth 60FPS, but what if after 30mn of game the
    CPU begin to overheat and the device is not able to reach the Stable 60FPS anymore, in this case the game will Jitter again. so how can i prevent this ?

3) why Frames are Perfectly smooth in the Editor whatever the Value i set in Application.targetFrameRate?

And thank you very much !!

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

47. Opeth001

Opeth001

sorry but i didn't get your answer ^_^.

48. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't think @Opeth001 is using delta time. To me looks like frame dependent calculations. Which in normal circumstances should be avoided. Otherwise source of issues as above.

Opeth001 likes this.
  49. Opeth001

Opeth001

im using the deltaTime only for moving the Camera, but i dont understand why im having lags only when i use the Application.targetFrameRate, by default player is launched with 30/60FPS dependes on the device and the Game is running flawlessly until i set any value to Application.targetFrameRate and the Frame Rate Goes Crazy. like at 40FPS (0.03308875, 0.00001, 0.03309203, 0.03311411, 0.02692817, 0.006139117, 0.03307073, .......)

50. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Opeth001 chances are, you have some intensive calculations, which influence your frame rate.
    Frame rate is not guaranteed. You should not really on it.
    Instead, you can use fixed game ticks (not frames), if you need so. Lets say 10 ticks per second. You can reduce number of calculations dramatically. Not everything need to happen within a frame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.