Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The full Adam demo film is now online

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Adam is our short film created and rendered in real time in Unity. It’s built to showcase and test out the graphical quality achievable with Unity in 2016.

Head over to the Adam landing page to check out the full film!

adam-full-facebook-cover.jpg

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Love it!

...But is this an OK place to discuss interpretations of the film itself? I'm fairly baffled, but have a few theories... :)

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks. Was too dark during the presentation, now it looks fine.

This is a remarkable blend of Unity magic plus talent. An inspiration for all of us. Great job!

4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Super Awesome!

5. bbptjgrant

bbptjgrant

This looks amazing! I do have one question, how do you do this type of animation in Unity? I am coming from Unreal, and this is pretty simple to do with Matinee and now Sequencer, but in Unity I haven't figured it out yet. How does someone do this type of machinima work in Unity? What built in tools are there and is there a good tutorial to head me in the right direction.

Thank you.

6. Lex4art

Lex4art

Impressive! ) Some shots looks like a offline CG renderings ^_^, some have problems with shadows or 8-bit normals - but this stuff can be fixed in future updates...

7. Kiupe

Kiupe

It's really impressive ! The description says that they used CaronteFX plugins - What exactly does that plugin ? It's seems it replace Unity built-in physics or something like that. I didn't quite understand actually.

8. Ostwind

Ostwind

They used the upcoming Unity sequencer/director which has been in development for moths or over a year

9. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

good look!but this skill not the builtin in unity,so most unity devleloper can not make that ,so it is very sad for that~

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So you would need a button that would make that happen somehow? I don't get your comment.

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Think he means, us non big studio people dont have a chance at making something similar..got have a major team or talented individuals and money to spend. Anyway this just my thoughts..

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah that's true, but there's nothing Unity can do about that so there is no point to the comment, therefore I didn't understand it. Oh! race cars are nice, but we can't make those so it's very sad!

Once the tech is released for it, it should only require 2 people to put together over a period of a few months, providing the talent is there. I doubt it needs big teams more than big talent.

LaneFox, Socrates and MrEsquire like this.
  13. orb

orb

There are no more add-ons when the new subscriptions arrive, so they scrapped the talent add-on.

14. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

Oh,no,I mean UNITY not give advance function to devleloper, like particlesystem can not change it's data,so can not optimise ,and like Gpu batching skinrender,volume ligtht,etc, this should finished many year ago,as a game engine,should built in some effecient and optimized function to deleveloper.And ,in fact ,I believe ,almost unity developer had used many other 3'th part tool,cause of unity tool not enough good,this is not good news for a game engine.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Unity can show off an unique, healthy and rich extensions/asset ecosystem thanks to the Asset Store, which provides variety to the end product. For instance, there're several "bloom" effects, each being better in some way than the others with different subtle differences. Thanks to that you have choice. If the engine provides everything in a standardised way and you rely on factory tools, your product will look too similar to other thousands.

The volumetric lighting for example can be implemented through shaders, you don't need to wait for that to be implemented by Unity. You already have several solutions on the Asset Store. But happens that anything "volumetric" is lot of expensive for the majority of GPU capabilities out there, so just giving out a generic volumetric shader won't work - you will need to optimize it to your needs and eventually you will be either writing your own shader or purchasing the asset that best fit your needs.

16. elbows

elbows

Devil in the detail. I dont know of anything on the asset store that uses Bart Wronski's volumetric fog method.

17. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

As said before, congrats, it's excellent.
    We will probably be able to dissect the demo project after 5.4 gets out of beta, aka soon@ (before Christmas).

18. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

I would say around 3 years:p
    You can find some demo videos published in 2014

19. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Hello, animation student here!

I am curious as to why they use "Shaky/Handheld" camera movement in the demo?
    What does it have to add in effect?
    What is it symbolizing?
    What does the director try to represent with it?
    What kind of feeling will it try to produce?

I am noticing more and more of it in movies, and some of them are not so subtle as the one in the demo, that it brought motion sickness to some audiences. (Some even walked out of theaters due to motion sickness).

Is it worth it to add shaky camera in all of my camera movements?
    Does it add realism?
    I feel weird as the walking camera moves over the 2 robot's hand, as I imagine it is a first person view of someone, that directly walks over a solid object.

Thanks!

20. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

This seems more like a filmography question than a Unity question, but yeah, I fully agree with you. I'm often like "You guys can't afford a tripod? Really? Here's 20 bucks, go buy yourself one, because this hand-held camera work sucks..."

But apparently it's considered trendy and cool in the film industry these days. I have no idea why.

21. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

I do like it, for me it gives it a realistic touch, and perhaps, makes me feel like im there watching it :)
    Adam´s Shaky camera is quite subtle tho, I did not even notice it untill you mentioned it, maybe for me it was part of the "film",

22. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Yeah, this one is much more subtle than most.

Points taken, it gives a realistic touch, "As if you are there watching it".
    Hmm, wouldn't it break the immersion knowing that it is not your body movement that moves the camera?

And sometimes it walks through objects which are solid.

23. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

Perhaps it is your perpesctive as an animation student.
    Also the shakiness resembles the anxiety of the moment, the dizziness of waking up as a robot. In my opinion it is in order to make those feelings get to the audience without actually being a first person camera.

Edit:
    For example an explosion in an action movie, would it give the same feeling without the shake?
    I believe it wouldmt, if it remained static throughout the explosion it is less of an explosion.
    (Trying to explain myself witouh actual knowledge :p )

24. 00christian00

00christian00

Very cool video, but all it shows is the graphics capabilities of Unity.
    It would be nice if the next showcase would show what Unity is capable of in all fields, not just graphics(physics, audio,animation,particles).
    You relied too much on pre-calculated things in this demo in my opinion.
    Right now it seem a demo of a graphic engine.

25. Kridian

Kridian

And that's exactly what they needed to showcase in this current age of realistic rendering engines.

It's nice to see Unity on par with UE & CryEngine.

26. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

A question, when is the volume fog used in 'Adam' be released? I have noticed some talk about it at the demo's page saying 'soon' but is there any specific time interval for it?

Quote:

"To make Adam, the Demo Team developed custom tools and features on top of Unity including volumetric fog, a transparency shader and motion blur to cover specific production needs. We’ll make these freely available soon!"

katoun and elbows like this.
  27. Jose207

Jose207

I had heard that the unity project would be available for download, is that true?

FreeFly90 likes this.
  28. FreeFly90

FreeFly90

I really hope so, I'm definitely going to spend some days trying to understand how they did such an amazing project..

29. elbows

elbows

Probably not the full project in one lump, no. Full executable demo is planned I think, but not the Unity project.

Last I hard the plan was more along the lines of what the did with the Blacksmith demo. Multiple demo projects that each deal with a particular technology but dont quite give you the full thing in one.

Certainly Robert Cupisz (Unity graphics programmer) has mentioned on his twitter feed that the Volumetric Fog would be released, I believe with the vague timescale of 'fall'.

30. Jose207

Jose207

Thanks elbows!

31. shmomo

shmomo

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Blarp likes this.
  32. Blarp

Blarp

^ 12fps

33. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

It was done in 3ds max by using the original low poly at LOD0 as a base for the projection, then the rest of the LODs were created and aligned on top of the LOD0. By using render to texture in 3ds max, our 3D artist baked the existing maps from LOD0 for the rest of the LODs, that way the look remained consistent and removed the need of doing any additional texturing.

34. shubhamshetkar25

shubhamshetkar25

Is it possible to optimize complete ADAM scene for android?

35. eluukkanen

eluukkanen

Unity is getting better and better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.