Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The forums have been rolled back -- now what?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by aliceingameland, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks! I think I have to resubscribe. I tested alerts with the Gaia forum and I now get alerts there. Someone there said private conversations are broken.

2. Teila

Teila

PM's should work now. They do for me.

3. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

No, Hippo does not have the right number.

Citation: I work at Unity and asked internally. :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Catacomber, Ryiah and Teila like this.
  4. IzzySofty

IzzySofty

Hmmm.. it might be intrusive if i Don't explicitly ask to watch a certain thread.
    If i did Explicitly Subscribe... In that situation, i want to see Every notification.

Otherwise, being notified of the 2nd or 3rd reply (in a thread i posted in but didn't subscribe), before it stops, would suffice for me. :)

5. Teila

Teila

If you actually check the forums and see them, then you will get every notification. If you don't check them, then you won't.

So check them. :) Easy fix.

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @aliceingameland - I still receive occasional support PMs on the new forum (community.unity.com). It seems that although the forum is locked the PM part is still open to send messages. Is this intentional?

7. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Not intentional - I'll look into this!

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks!

9. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

TonyLi likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Anyone else getting logged out frequently since the change to the login page went through?

11. orb

orb

Got logged out three times just between reading my previous three alerts and getting to this thread.

Teila likes this.
  12. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Our webauth underwent maintenance earlier today. It appears we're having lingering hiccups which are affecting forum sessions. The team's aware and are on the case. Sorry for the inconvenience.

13. Moonjump

Moonjump

Yes, and it doesn't have staying logged in ticked by default, so it is not just one set of keyboard actions on the login page (name, tab, password, return).

14. JBR-games

JBR-games

I had that issue since before the forum "update" kinda randomly but now i seem to be getting (almost) no alerts to threads im following. After no new alerts for several days logging into forums, i decided to manually check a few threads i follow and there were like 5-10 posts in several of the threads... :(

15. Martin_H

Martin_H

I've had the problem every now and then in the past, but today it has logged me out at any chance it got. Often clicking on the login link even did nothing (not even display the login screen). I'm glad to hear you're working on a solution. Keep up the great work!

Ony likes this.
  16. orb

orb

Logging in takes at least two tries now.

Ony, hopeful and KnightsHouseGames like this.
  17. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

The webauth issue doesn't have anything to do with the Lithium forums or the subsequent rollback.

However, the issue of not getting alerts might be. I know that you stop receiving notifications for watched threads that you haven't been back to for a while (sort of like a soft unfollow if you don't show recent interest by visiting the thread). I'm wondering if the rollback messed with that timer in some fashion? Now that you've revisited these watched threads, it would be awesome if you could tell me if you're receiving alerts for them now. Hopefully it's not an ongoing issue!

18. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Woah, I just thought I was going crazy, now that I think about it, I think I have noticed this once or twice in the last couple of days

19. Martin_H

Martin_H

I always thought you get 1 alert per thread tops for simple replies, until you visit that thread again. So if you get an alert, mouse-over the alerts but don't visit the thread again, you won't get any more alerts for that thread. That's what it felt like to me, so I usually just always click on all threads with alerts.
    But I did feel like I've not gotten a few alerts that I should have gotten in the past. Not entirely sure though. I might have just missed an alert.

20. orb

orb

I'm sure I get new alerts without having to visit the threads as long as I mouse over the alerts, but lately there have been occasional hiccups where there are new posts before the ones I get alerts for. So it's more like a lottery now.

21. JBR-games

JBR-games

Exactly.. Just dont seem to be getting consistent alerts.

22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm sure this is already known, but there seem to be issues with logins/sessions persisting again. I've had to log in twice today, which is unusual.

Edit: And it seems I'm getting it easy.

MrEsquire likes this.
  23. pKallv

pKallv

I have the same problem all the time

24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Because Unity do not test there own changes.. Nothing new here! All they need is real world scenario and you be able spot issue.. Automated QA script not going help with this one..

25. MV10

MV10

And that's pretty annoying -- it would be nice to either never do that, or let us decide for ourselves with a preferences setting. I often want to watch slow-moving threads for support/update reasons. Arbitrarily unwatching is counterintuitive for the purposes of these forums. Here again it feels like whomever makes decisions on how this place works doesn't really understand how we use the place or what we want and need out of it.

26. MV10

MV10

Since we don't have a reliable way to report forum issues and you're known to watch this thread -- when I noticed the login problems my first thought was to post in one of the Lithium threads, too.

I guess we could @-tag somebody but before the Great Lithium Disaster I wouldn't have known who to tag. And, again, that's totally wrong by normal forum standards.

Edit: Ironically, General Discussion is being littered with threads like "How do I contact a forum admin?"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Martin_H likes this.
  27. orb

orb

There's no forum forum. It would be nice to have a subsection for discussion of the forum itself/reporting problems.

MV10 likes this.
  28. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Logins on the old(current) forums have always expired after some amount of time not visiting for me and I'd have to click Sign In again. I setup a Greasemonkey script long ago that reloads every 10 minutes to keep me logged in.

29. Nateply

Nateply

I am having to re-login to these forums about every 5-10 minutes. I seem to be getting auto-logged off. I go to Watched Threads, open a few watched threads in other tabs (Firefox on Win7 desktop and Chrome on Android tablet) and read them. When I return to the original tab to refresh the watched threads, I have been logged out and need to login again. I used to log in once and be good to go for a day. This is new and unwanted behavior. It wastes my time.

30. orb

orb

I used to be able to log in for the month and be done with it.

31. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

I'm told a fix for the logging out issue is in the works -- hoping to have it reviewed, tested and live by tomorrow. It's not a forum issue exactly -- it's the sign in for the rest of the site, which in turn affects forum logins (now that we have SSO).

Someone earlier in this very thread said they like the way alerts are set up here as it manages obtrusiveness, so at the very least I hope you can concede that something like this is a bit subjective and not necessarily a bone-headed plot to mess things up. I worded my post confusingly -- I mean you won't receive any new alerts if you haven't gone back to view the thread after the first alert. It's set up this way to not bombard you with alerts for every post in a thread if you haven't shown continuing interest in it (by going back there to read replies). The thread will still be listed in your watched threads area ofc. In any case, the way the alerts work (with an alert sent only for the first unread post in a watched thread - reset when you visit the thread again) are as designed by Xenforo.

If you view the alert but don't go to the thread, you won't receive a new alert until you check the thread again, thus allowing a new "first unread post" to trigger. The old, viewed alert will disappear after 4 days, but if you leave your alert unread, it won't expire.

orb and Teila like this.
  32. MV10

MV10

Oh irony. Today I have to source a new power supply for one of my NASes... which involves wading into another Lithium forum over at Netgear. Even trying to locate the correct sub-forum is an exercise in pointless frustration.

But man I'm sure they're collecting all sorts of juicy data on me (except the part where I'll never buy another Netgear NAS).

Edit: Oh yeah, there aren't sub-forums. There are labels. Different! Just because! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Teila, Baste and Martin_H like this.
  33. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

I suddenly find that there is a dash in my name, where there once was a space. The same ill fate has befallen others it seems, and I don't see any post explaining it yet - am I right in my assumption that underlying changes to the forum architecture are to blame?

34. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Sorry about that @Thomas-Mountainborn -- this is due to a change in our new Unity ID username character requirements which no longer allows spaces in the username. This change affects all our sites like the store and the forums since we're using a single sign on for these pages.

35. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Oh, that is too bad. Thanks for the explanation though.

36. UnfinityGames

UnfinityGames

Any chance that those of us affected could just have the dash removed if requested (i.e. have a username with no space, and no dash)? The dash looks...kind of bad; having, in my case, UnfinityGames rather than Unfinity-Games would be preferable.

Could something like that be done? I know it's possible in Xenforo, but I don't know if that'll carry over to your Unity ID.

37. Catacomber

Catacomber

I agree---if I were to use my partnership identity Zarista Games and it had a - in the middle---I'd be pretty unhappy. Does that - actually serve any purpose? Sometimes little things make a big difference.

It looks sloppy. Not like something for a forum for a triple A engine like Unity.

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it's kind of odd that spaces are even a problem in 2016 given it's all just unicode to the code. Must be some pretty ancient bits and pieces lying around...

Not that it bothers me at all.

Martin_H likes this.
  39. Catacomber

Catacomber

That's cause you're not Hippocoder Games--if you were it might bother you. : )

Just siding with those developers who are hyphenated--thank you for all your wonderful help in this forum. You're the best.

Glad I'm not hyphenated. : ) I can't imagine being a hyphenated developer who's happy.

I'd be Zarista-Games. Only here and nowhere else on the internet. Of course, if someone searched me like that, they'd find me but I'm not Zarista-Games. I'm Zarista Games. Fortunately, I 'm just catacomber without the hypen. : )

40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, it wouldn't bother me if it was. It's just a forum. I do agree that it should have the option to remove the hyphen to collapse the name, although that probably should be part of a broader renaming system.

Still wondering why space is a problem for software. Guess it's probably something to do with web addresses.

41. Catacomber

Catacomber

The whole idea though is that this is our forum. It's not just "a forum". It's our home. If you use Unity it's basically your home where you hang your Unity hat.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Has it occurred to you I'm not fighting this issue?

43. Catacomber

Catacomber

Yes. : ) I wasn't really talking to you but to the forum-keepers to remind them that this is our home. : ) Whatever this forum is, I have to use it right now so not contentious really just hoping it will be more like it used to be--a home where I could hang my Unity hat.

We are a community after all, with names--just sad some of hose names have hyphens all of a sudden and it looks silly while the nameholders aren't silly at all but Unity developers.

Unfinity-Games should have a right to be Unfinity Games. : ) Just commenting. It doesn't affect me as I don't use my Zarista Games here but if I did---I'd be wondering why things had to be hyphenated.

And kind of really silly looking.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The hyphen would make no difference as far as searching. Sure a space would be slightly better, but it's just a trivial cosmetic issue, not worth getting upset about IMO.

--Eric

45. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

I understand where you're coming from, and if it was just a decision to do with the forums, it would be an easy fix, but this decision doesn't really sit with the community team (who is in charge of the forums) -- the change has to do with your Unity ID itself.

If you urgently want your username changed, you can request this from support@unity3d.com. However, in an effort to not flood them with these requests, let me first investigate whether we can find a way to batch change a list of names. I will report back :)

46. UnfinityGames

UnfinityGames

Awesome, thanks for looking into this! I'm not in a huge rush, so I'm fine waiting to see if there's an easy way for you guys to batch change this. If not, it's great to know that I can fall back on the support email.

Thanks!

47. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

If all names are concatenated together, I'm afraid there could be some arbitrary word wrap, making the names even less readable. It'd be nice if we had the option to just hide the dash in the displayed username (i.e. keep the dash in the actual name, but have it be replaced by a space when presented on the forums).

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That wouldn't work if someone wants a dash in the name that actually should be a dash. :) It would also confuse the heck out of things when referring to someone using "@ Username".

--Eric

49. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Fair points, I was considering both. As for the first point, that's why it would be an option. The second, @ Username has an autocomplete already, I'm sure it could be made to check for both spaces and dashes.

Though there's probably other reasons why it wouldn't work, my web knowledge is very limited at best.

50. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thank you for all your patient help. Just wanted to say I appreciate your consistent help. You are the best!

aliceingameland likes this.