Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. TwinFox

TwinFox

Thanks for the clarification. What is the checker for then, I thought it was specifically to notify when new betas were available? Oh well, I must have misunderstood.

2. w00dn

w00dn

LOVE AND HAPPYNESS!

building on indi iphone now works with the just updated version 3.0.0b4!
    thank you so much, unity!

3. niosop2

niosop2

I've heard that the Mac version contains a changelog. Anyone know if the windows version contains one, and if not could someone post the changelog somewhere?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The changelog is posted in the beta area on Google groups.

--Eric

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"the checker will not show new versions. you will get a mail once its accessible"

I had been checking periodically most of the morning but I didn't find beta 4 by checking.
    I was using Unity b3 and it notified me that it was available for download, the update dialog opened on it's own.

6. kheng

kheng

Are you guys not giving out any more beta builds? Cause I would really like to check it out!

7. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you pre-order Unity 3 at this point you will receive the beta pre-release within a few days... at least that's the plan ;)

If you have pre-ordered Unity 3 within the last week or so and have still not received the beta please give us one more day to get out beta 4 for the pre-order customers. Yes, there are separate builds for the public beta and the closed beta and it takes a day or two to get the pre-order version ready.

8. mindlube

mindlube

Just one of many great new features, but the MonoDevelop integration is perfect! Debugger, intillisense, solution/project generation. It all works perfectly 1st try for me :D

9. Per

Per

Monodevelop integration isn't so great here, in fact it's very far from perfect indeed.

The only way to work is to open the project itself manually from Monodevelop, I had expected something smoother, even just an open project button from Unity would have been nice.

There are a bunch of errors during load of Monodevelop, and it has a runtime exception error when you close any file.

Clicking edit in unity loads up the text file in a new instance of Monodevelop always regardless of whether the project file is open or not in another instance, it also opens without the linked libraries and monodevelop intellisense doesn't seem capable of working in that situation so no autocomplete or highlighting, so it basically means the Edit/Double click methods of opening files in Unity are useless.

It also fails to refresh the project when you sync it from Unity, the only way is to manually unload and reload...

I'd really like it if these bugs and behaviors were fixed to create a smoother integration and workflow.

10. rockysam888

rockysam888

In island demo, when we stand near a big tree (with large body), the leaves disappeared. When we move far away, these leaves shows up.
    I reported this in beta3, but it still exists in beta 4.
    :(

11. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Thanks for the update, I ordered on Sunday and cannot wait to compile stuff for Android. :D

12. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

@Per
    Submit them as bugs using Help -> Unity Bug Reporter if you want to see them fixed! :)

13. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Can you post the case number here please.

14. rockysam888

rockysam888

The case is still opened.

15. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Great, thanks. I assigned it to the proper person to get it fixed.

16. iphonedev

iphonedev

Is there a list of fixes for U3 beta 4. Specifically if the iphone (basic) build is fixed so I can start to build to xcode?

Thanks.

17. Peter G

Peter G

I still can't build in Iphone Basic beta 4. Is that a known bug?

Could you check on bug 365002? It was in beta 3 and I still have the problem in beta 4. It has to do with Physx so I'm not sure if it is an expected change with the upgraded version or a bug.

Besides for that, I love Unity 3. :D Thanks for the great product.

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

According to our main iPhone QA guy beta 4 should build in iPhone Basic.

19. mindlube

mindlube

I'm not experiencing any of those problems. I'm using Beta4. Works perfectly for me so far. Make sure you set your External Script Editor to MonoDevelop.app

edit: also I created a new Unity project, and the Monodevelop solution/project was autogenerated which is nice. Not sure if it does that for existing Unity projects I haven't tried yet.

20. Peter G

Peter G

Then I'm probably doing something wrong, I get this error:

Error building Player: UnityException: Failed AOT cross compiler: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/BuildTargetTools/iPhonePlayer/mono-xcompiler --aot=full,asmonly,nodebug,ficall,static,outfile="Assembly-CSharp.dll.s" "Assembly-CSharp.dll" current dir : /Users/Glotfelty/Desktop/U3:2D Iphone Game/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed std=
    output:
    The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
    It should have been installed in the `/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
    result file exists: False
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

My scripts are all iPhone compatible with 1.7 so I'm not sure what the problem is minus the code I had to update because it was obsolete now.

21. niosop2

niosop2

Looking good, but it seems spotlight shadows at low range are still wonkey. Bug 364890.

22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Why are the release notes pointing to a webpage with older info about 2.6?

Can't we have release notes for each version in a text file that comes with the binary?

23. Per

Per

Have done, I always report bugs via the bug reporter first before mentioning them here.

24. Per

Per

It is, otherwise it wouldn't load up the file in monodevelop when you double click them or press the edit button and it wouldn't generate the project file.

25. mindlube

mindlube

OK sounds good:) This is an obvious thing to check but did you see that there is a new build of MonoDevelop that got released with beta4? Cheers,

26. Per

Per

Yup, using it.

I've just tested on OSX and there are no problems there, it's just the windows side that seems to be having problems.

27. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

I know you will hate me for bumping it, but hey, I waited 2 days, double the time you asked for. :twisted: Any chance we'll get the beta over the weekend?

28. Undead

Undead

Anyone having problems with the occlusion culling?

I have a basic scene with a single terrain tile in it (2000x2000), if I try to calc' the PVS in preview mode it works, but if I select production mode it sits there for about 10 mins, gets less than 1/4 of the way through the progress bar and then falls over.

All I get is a completly blank error box and then unity tells me : "Error occurred in PVS computation"
    Error in file : ..\..\Editor\Src\OcclusionCulling.cpp at line 354

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

there is a problem with lensflares on the iPhone in my scene, it worked fine with 1.7. I need ot look into it before I file a bug. Anyone noticed artifact when using lensflare on iphone?

30. cadamson

cadamson

We have had problems with this as well. Please submit a bug report. The only way I got around this was to add an occlusion area (from the components menu) to a game object. This not only stops the error, but it also speeds up the processing.

Chad

31. chadchat

chadchat

I've searched Google Groups.. could you be more specific.. please~

c

32. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

any one tryed the light shafts ?
    i can't get them to work

33. duke

duke

I'd love to have a "Use Ambient" flag in the lightmap editor. I was wondering why my scene still had a tint to it even with no lights and the sky intensity at 0 - it uses the scene ambient, which isn't always ideal.

34. Undead

Undead

I tried your suggestion and it does indeed speed up the calc' and stops the error, thx :D

35. chingwa

chingwa

I put my order in for Unity 3.0 on July 3rd, but have not yet received any info regarding the beta. Do I need to enter my upgraded serial number into unity to be given a beta email?

36. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

" Do I need to enter my upgraded serial number into unity to be given a beta email?"

No, if you have upgraded the email will be sent without any further action on your part.

37. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

I pre-ordered on July 13 - still haven't got anything other than an email with the serial#. Links in the email are for iPhone basic 1.7 and Unity 2.6

When you say betas are going out - are you snail-mailing them?

Thanks!

38. Detocroix

Detocroix

They should e-mail the beta links, but I haven't received anything yet so I guess they are finishing up fixes to the beta build before making next roll :D

39. TheRedTape

TheRedTape

Hey Guys!

So on June the 16th I ordered Unity 3 + Unity 3 iPhone Basic. Still haven't received anything except for the invoice email...

Is this correct or should I contact Unity Technologies??

Thank You!

40. Peter G

Peter G

Considering I ordered my a week after you and got mine 2 weeks ago, I would contact Unity support yes.

41. TheRedTape

TheRedTape

Ok thank you :) Will contact them

42. caitlyn

caitlyn

Feel free to contact sales@unity3d.com if you need further help getting your beta.

Cheers

Caitlyn

43. pdrummond

pdrummond

I ordered my upgrade to Unity 3 on March 22. Should I have received the beta info by now?

Thanks.

44. caitlyn

caitlyn

Paul-- yes you should have.

FYI, we used a checkbox of "do you want to receive future news and updates from Unity?" as criteria for which customers "want" to receive the preview build. This was probably a little unclear!

Again, just email sales@unity3d.com with your invoice or serial number and we'll get it to you.

Cheers

Caitlyn

45. BSECaleb

BSECaleb

So where are we in the beta queue? I ordered on 7/10. I don't think I checked the little box because I had already done so on previous orders. Is the queue still held up because of beta 4?

46. caitlyn

caitlyn

Sorry, I have not got that date in front of me.

But if you're unsure if you should have received it, just write in with your serial/invoice and we'll gladly check on a case by case basis and let you know.

47. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

idk if this is the right place but where can i find the change log for b4 ?

48. pdrummond

pdrummond

I am getting news and update emails but there was nothing about the beta. I've sent a message to sales as suggested.

Looking forward to trying the new version of Unity. Is it considered stable enough to create builds for the iPhone, or should I stick with version 2 for now?

49. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hey Paul-- we just got your request-- please check out your email. The beta is, IMO, extremely stable. However as is the case with beta versions everywhere, standard disclaimer applies. We can't be held accountable if it sets fire to your computer, explodes heads, turns into SkyNet etc etc etc. ;)

50. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"turns into SkyNet"

Ah, but Ah-nold will come for you...

:D