Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

the dx diag report does not say anything on the installed dx 9.0c versions it only tells you the maximum major version which is of totally no use :)

also a driver from july 2009 is hardly up to date ;)

2. zumwalt

zumwalt

LOL it is for this machine, Toshiba isn't to kind about updates! Here, I did a pipe out of the DX versions on my machine, see attached document :)

Attached Files:

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

so you are not up to date and thus can just run above websetup (even if you were you could, it will only download and add the missing dx runtimes actually and nothing else, so no problem to run the websetup even "just for fun". game installs for years invisibly ran that thing actually)

4. zumwalt

zumwalt

funny thing you mention it, I already ran it today, I run it typically once a month, so that report I have posted with the dx files is after running the web setup from the dx link :)

I am ready for more suggestions :)

EDIT:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=3021d52b-514e-41d3-ad02-438a3ba730ba

Downloading the half gig of the latest DXSDK fixed the problem. So you need the full latest version of the SDK installed instead of just the runtime I guess. That is OK by me.

EDIT:
    fwiw, even after installing the full sdk, my latest dx9 dll is still the same as the posted text file which is:
    05/26/2010 11:41 AM 1,998,168 D3DX9_43.dll

So how is that not the latest version? Especially if that is the same from the websetup as it is from the sdk? I am confused..

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

the dll is the latest but it isn't the latest dll as far as I can say, thats _44 if not even higher. (these runtime dlls are never again touched after install)

but as you mention SDK: Go into the DX SDK configuration tool and ensure that you do NOT run unity in dx debug mode!
    since 2.6 this is detected as "not hardware acceleration" by unity and will result in it terminating directly the way you see it

6. zumwalt

zumwalt

I will go in and check on that to make sure it doesn't try to run in dx debug mode, U3b3 is running at the moment so I doubt it is then, why would the microsoft DX web setup not install the latest dx9c from the link if that is the case? I always presumed that it always installed the latest from the update setup from the web, at least that has always been my experience.

If you are on Vista or Windows 7, change to your user folder on your C drive at a command prompt, then run the following:

dir c:\windows\system32\d3dx9*.* > dx9info.txt

Look at that txt file and see what the latest file stamp and date is along with version, I am curious. (if you don't mind)

7. Samantha

Samantha

This error message is definitely trying to inform you of a setup issue on your computer. We've run this build on multiple different machines so I am confident it is not a widespread issue or a Unity bug. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling all directx runtimes, update your graphics drivers, and restart your machine. If that doesn't work, maybe there's something wrong with your Unity installation -- in which case you should uninstall, re-download, and re-install Unity.

8. zumwalt

zumwalt

:) you are behind by like 6 posts Sam, this issue was only resolved by installing the full SDK which I would imagine on all machines you have in house, you have the full SDK installed. I am very happy you are fully confident that it is isolated to just my machine. That makes me happy that no one else who installs the product will have the same issue I have. You are probably 100% right on that hands down. My Toshiba laptop is only 1 year old so it has its own querks, I know it is not a screaming Alien build machine, but it works for development for me :)

I am glad to see U3 on the utter bleeding edge of technolgoy. It is all good, I just needed to install the June SDK, which changed no DXD9 files at all, so it is probably some other DLL that got installed via the SDK that I didn't have prior, so now I have it. I guess for anyone getting a game built on U3 when it is released, I'll have to keep an eye out on which dll's will be missing so I can distribute them.

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

the dx websetup installs the most current version.

the DX SDK does not change that.
    all it does is that it sets dx into debug mode upon installation and that it brings the debug runtimes with it

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'd say machines with full dx sdk installed are a minority at UT. Certainly among the testing machines. My guess is that the sdk installed something runtime-y you were missing. Quite possibly related to your Toshiba problem ;)

The Windows boxes being used are a crazy mix of random vendors - no Dell parks here, so we're quite confident that we have a good section of the market running the daily builds.

11. niosop2

niosop2

Any chance we could get access to the changelogs of the pre-release builds?

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

its in the b3 dmg

13. zumwalt

zumwalt

I got a good question about this now that I have ran across this issue, any way we can get a list of windows dll's that are needed when publishing a game? Like which specific dxd9 dll is used, I always find it easier to make a setup packing to include any external libraries to send with the games so that nothing is missing on distribution.

U3 no longer places any 3rd party libraries that are in the assets folder in the game folder with the binary or even the data folder like it used to. For instance, my asset folder has a custom Raknet.dll, the sqlite3.dll and a few other managed dll's, but when I build the game up and deploy it to a test directory all of those dll's are missing and I have to copy them into the same folder as the game binary since the game is dependent on them. I am using Mono.Data.Sqlite that comes with the unity mono framework folder, and I found that I have to manually add the libraries after the build is done for it to work.

All of this is fine of course, but it is better to know a head of time what we have to do manually that use to be automatic in 2.x, oh yea and almost forgot, you have to copy the sqlite3.dll into the Unity Editor folder if you plan on using Mono.Data.Sqliteclient, otherwise you will get a missing sqlite3 library error, so you have to distribute it with your game and place it in the editor folder, found that out last night.

14. spartan

spartan

Unity 3.0.0b3 (45884)

Can't build iPhone/iPad apps to test on my device.
    Creating a new project with just a Plane, I get this error:

Error building Player: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

PS: I can build PC/Mac apps without issues. But I need to test my apps on iPhone/iPad :D

15. uk2010

uk2010

Same Here.

16. markpollard1

markpollard1

i am getting this error to. any update yet?

17. zumwalt

zumwalt

Also, you can not add System.Data to the project at the top with using System.Data; I had the same problem with just adding a reference to System for exception handling I had top copy the System.dll to the root editor folder as follows for each

first you have to copy the file System.Data.dll from
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\lib\mono\unity
    to
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor

Repeat for system.dll if you need to use it

Then in your VS8 project, you have to add a reference to each one from the editor folder, once you have done that, then you can use them.

EDIT:
    Scratch that, even though you can add the reference and program in VS8 as if it is in the project, you also have to copy it into your assets folder for it to work and not just the editor folder. So now my assets folder and my Editor folder have 4 files, 3 from the aformention mono unity folder and I had to download sqlite3.dll and put is in both places.

18. Silver

Silver

just installed build 3 i looooooved the black skin! leave it this way plz i can see clearly now :D

19. Metron

Metron

No Full DX SDK installed, b3 runs smooth.

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

If that is actually needed, that is a serious error.

Unity (neither Web Player, Player nor Editor) never required DX SDK to be installed, nor any fancy "DX updates". It should run on vanilla, no-updates, DX9.0c that ships with Windows XP SP2.

I'd guess about 90% of Windows machines that Unity is developed tested on don't have any DX SDK installed whatsoever, and Unity runs just fine there.

What the error message means is that it failed to create a hardware accelerated DX9.0c device. The most common causes of that are: 1) you don't have drivers or 2) you're on Windows XP pre-SP2 or Windows 2000 and don't have DX 9.0c installed.

There can be other reasons (e.g. you had DX SDK, ran DX Control Panel, disabled hardware acceleration there), but that requires you to know what you're doing. Did you do anything like that?

21. gdmms

gdmms

MonoDevelop does not start for me. Any ideas ?
    Thanks

PS. I am talking about Unity Beta 3

22. Daev-Finn

Daev-Finn

Is there an estimate on when the rest of us who pre-ordered Unity 3.0 will receive the product?

waiting for news.

23. Per

Per

I think the best thing to do is get on with enjoying 2.6 and being as productive as possible there rather than worrying about the 3.0 Beta, it'll come when it comes.

24. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Read Samantha's post from 3 pages back.

25. duke

duke

As of yesterday (7th), all betas have been sent out to pre-orderers up to May 15th. They continue to go out at 200 per day.

26. zumwalt

zumwalt

Aras: nope, all I did was download b3, installed and ran it and got the error, so I then ran b2 which uninstalled b3 and ran b2 just fine, then ran b3 again and got the error again, so ran b2 and ran just fine, so then downloaded the latest dx sdk and installed it and then ran b3 and it ran just fine.

I have been running b2 since I got the link to download it so it is a change in b3 that caused the issue. I am running Windows 7 x86 and my dx diag is in the thread and so is my list of dx9c dll's, that is also in the threads.

I just did a simple download, ran it and let it do its thing and got the error.

27. Discord

Discord

:eek: So if I ordered mine on the 19th...it should be here soon! Awesome! :D

28. Nic-Cusworth

Nic-Cusworth

I just cried a little... ordered mine May 19th... 4 days off the next cutoff :(

29. sam1234

sam1234

I am seeing terrible colors when I tried to import Car_Tutorials_2-6. Is anyone seeing the same? I did not see any problems on b2

Attached Files:

30. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If it is texture related see if the normal map is selected in the inspector.

31. Samantha

Samantha

Update: Preview builds have now been delivered to everyone who pre-ordered through the end of May. June pre-order customers will get their preview builds starting tomorrow :)

32. Samantha

Samantha

Also, we are currently investigating the problem with building to iPhone. More information as this issue unfolds...

33. Undead

Undead

woooo, I ordered June 7th so another day or 2 for the beta?

34. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

when i use b3 to my project all my normal maps become pink :p

35. Samantha

Samantha

If you are using custom shaders on those objects, please make sure you have updated the shaders. If you are using standard built-in shaders on those objects, then please file a bug report and attach your example project. We will eventually get a chance to review it, but it's not something we can resolve in one day.

36. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

ok :)
    how do i use deferred rendering ?

37. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

got it

38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I ordered June 24, any estimate about ow many more days before it will be send?
    Thanks

39. fivearchers

fivearchers

Just got a second invite for the Beta3 (I ordered in the first week or so of preorders)

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

If I would have to estimate basing on the reported dates here 10-15 days

41. teatime

teatime

is there a built-in limiter to the audio? for example if i use the Audio Distortion Filter the actual signal output to the speakers will never reach over 0.0, right? otherwise the filters seem way too dangerous to use.

42. blockimperium

blockimperium

This morning at 6AM the heavens parted and I was graced with the beauty and splendor of my Unity3 preview invite. Originally ordered on May 24th.

43. Samantha

Samantha

Update: Previews have been delivered to pre-orders made through June 15th.

44. appels

appels

yay, they are getting closer to my date :)
    Thanks for the update Samantha.

45. BrainCandy

BrainCandy

Ordered our version on June 3rd and haven't received an invite yet... Hope we were not lost in the process...

46. Samantha

Samantha

BrainCandy: check your spam filter first, and if you can't find it then email me at samantha@unity3d.com and I'll help you out.

47. BrainCandy

BrainCandy

Thanks Samantha, I had a look in my spam folder and nothing is there... So I sent you a mail :)

48. duke

duke

Thanks for the update Samantha - much appreciated :)

49. alewinn

alewinn

Yes ! Thanks !

50. arbbot

arbbot

Hi all,

Super excited to have received the Unity 3 preview.
    I was wondering if it is possible to have both versions (2.6 and 3) installed at the same time in the same machine without causing conflicts.

Thanks
    -aB