Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. uk2010

uk2010

How long is the support queue? I'm going on 7 days with my Unity iPhone preview activation issue. Still no response?

Same here....

2. Undead

Undead

Nudge, Nudge :D

3. nathan.harvey.hansen

nathan.harvey.hansen

Is it known how far down the queue in terms of initial registration date we are on the Beta release? My registration date is March 18th. I've yet to receive any word. Should I have it by now?

4. duke

duke

That's odd.. I have 2 known dates (registration vs. beta download) and one is after yours.

"
    const DateTime[] knownPair1 = new DateTime[2]{June 24, March 9};
    const DateTime[] knownPair2 = new DateTime[2]{June 28, March 21};
    "

5. nathan.harvey.hansen

nathan.harvey.hansen

hmmm... that is mildly concerning. I do hope I haven't been lost in the system somehow. I don't mind waiting my turn, but I certainly do mind not getting my turn.

6. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Don't feel bad, I got skipped over too.

7. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

No one should be getting skipped over. If you ordered in March and have still not received your pre-release copy then that is most likely a mistake.

[Edit] - Also guys, make sure to check your spam folder ;)

8. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Do we know what date we are currently up to? I have a 3rd week in April date.

9. Nerosis

Nerosis

I received my pre-order licence key on the 16 of March, and I haven't got the email yet. I'm not 100% percent sure it didn't disappear into a spam filter somewhere and get subsequently deleted, but I have been checking both my inbox and spam folder regularly.

10. nathan.harvey.hansen

nathan.harvey.hansen

I agree no one should be getting skipped over :0)

I have gone through my junk mail several times. I haven't emptied it since June 18th I don't think that betas started going out before then (I didn't get the email announcing that they were going to be sending them out until June 23rd.)

11. alewinn

alewinn

" Turn to the sky, looking to some clouds in an alanguished pause, a tear roll till his lips...
    - When ?"

Rhaaaaaaaa i bought it Monday :(

12. PolyMad

PolyMad

Bought my Unity iPhone on 23 of June... no beta mail for me yet :(

13. uk2010

uk2010

Has anyone with Unity 3 iPhone basic been able to build anything.

I get errors like.

When I press play

Combine For Static Batching requires Unity iPhone Advanced license.
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

Only thing I have loaded is the main camera. Don't even have any packages loaded.

If I build I get.

Error building Player: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

Totally useless can't even use it !!!

Works if I build for the mac. But I don't need that.

Any Ideas ?

14. Torch Dexter

Torch Dexter

I've got the beta for iPhone basic and can't build for devices either. I always have it fail with the above error messages.

15. PolyMad

PolyMad

Uh this scares me... I have to try to build yet... I hope I'll not have these problems.
    What are your systems?

16. uk2010

uk2010

My Systems are a MacMini and a MacBook.

I am sure it is just bugs that haven't been addressed yet.

Would be nice to be able to use it though.

I am just playing around with the desktop version. But even that with activation issues I still just have a trial version of that.

Hope it is resolved in the next update.

17. duke

duke

So are you guys up to the ~1000 pre-purchasers mark yet?

18. alewinn

alewinn

:cry: Bwwaaaaaaaaahaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaa

19. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Is it possible for someone at UT to give us a rough idea where we are with Beta email issue (ie what order date you're at)? Just so we can stop constantly checking for emails if you are only up to April and people ordered in May/June etc.

20. spaz8

spaz8

Well, my pre-order date was April 30th and I'm still waiting so I don't think they are out of April yet.

Also, they (UT) recently reneged on 3.0 being released this July, and went back to "summer" as the release window. You can see an big issue currently a few posts up.

Based on going back to the "summer" release stance, I would guess they have recently hit a showstopper (such is software development). So The beta roll out could be slowed, or at full stop at the moment.

21. duke

duke

I don't really care about the exact date they deliver the final product on. They said summer and hopefully mean summer - any other comment about it being ready in a few weeks lacks the foresight for things to go wrong/not according to plan. What I do care about is getting the beta! The communication has been a little iffy, and the roll-out from the users point of view has been utterly unpredictable. If they'd been doing 100 a day, they'd have gone through 900 by now. We'll never know how that relates to actual pre-sales (ie. if they even have 900 pre-orders, or if they have 9000 pre-orders!), so no one really has any idea of when they'll get theirs other than "soon", which may as well be a big ol' middle finger.

22. GaborD

GaborD

Judging from the "got it / haven't got it yet" postings with order dates there also seem to be some temporal anomalies along the way.

23. BigB

BigB

My Pre-Order was on March 11, and I got my Beta on 25 of June. But yes, it's impossible to know how many people pre-ordered. We just need to be patient.

24. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Our Pre-Order was on March 8, and we're still waiting.

25. BigB

BigB

Dunno then, i guess they are not sorting the orders by date then..

26. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

I'm sure its just some kind of mistake. We're trying to sort it out with UT.

27. pgbrandao

pgbrandao

From the looks of it there has been some mistake... I ordered in march and haven't yet received the beta.

But that's OK. We're all patient, yes? :D

28. alewinn

alewinn

naaaooooooooooowwwwww :( :cry:

29. Undead

Undead

HiggyB...Where is our update on how things are progressing? :D

Nudge Nudge

30. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

We just got a word from UT: apparently not everyone gets access to the beta. We pre-ordered the same day it came out and have no access. According to response from UT, only a selected group of developers gets access to the beta.

So what's going on here?

31. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i smell a company lie
    UNITY REP -1

32. Samantha

Samantha

Hey everyone, I want to officially chime in on the preview situation. Sorry it's taken so long, I'm not around the forum as much as I'd like these days and I wasn't aware of this thread. Just FYI, I'm the one who is managing the distribution of the public previews. So if you're going to be mad at anybody, be mad at me. Here's what's going on:

Beginning a couple of weeks ago, we started sending out the first preview build to the very earliest pre-order customers. Getting this build out there has been exciting for us, because it means we're getting Unity 3 into our customers' hands! But as we shipped the build to more and more people over time, it exposed a pretty nasty problem in our activation process that was specifically affecting the Unity 3 preview build. This problem was much more widespread than we anticipated and it began to generate additional testing and support inquiries in a volume that we knew would not be sustainable if we continued at our current distribution rate.

In order to keep the team focused on finishing up Unity 3, we slowed down with pushing out the preview builds until we could fix the problem and deliver a newer, better build to our customers.

The good news: the activation problem has now been fixed, and a new updated preview build is ready to be shipped out. We're just wrapping up the deployment tasks as I write this message, so this is happening literally minutes from now.

I know many of you have been waiting much longer than you should have to receive your Unity 3 preview, so I'll be rapidly accelerating the rate at which builds are distributed to everyone. So if you haven't received your preview in a few days, please drop me a line directly: samantha@unity3d.com and we will get you sorted out.

Please understand, this delay did not happen on purpose and no lies were told. We simply ran into a few more bumps in the road than we'd anticipated. To make up for it, we've committed to delivering multiple, iterative preview builds to everybody who's pre-ordered. As Unity 3 gets closer to shipping, you'll all be receiving builds that are more and more complete. Additionally, I'm happy to tell you that we've built in a new feature specifically to help get these builds into your hands: Editor Update Notification. So as new builds become available, the Unity 3 Editor will inform you and provide a direct download link. We hope these improvements will make up for the delay. So stay tuned, because builds are coming as soon as possible!

33. Samantha

Samantha

Update: Preview builds have now been delivered to everybody who ordered before May 15th. Assuming nobody's computer explodes, we'll be pumping out preview builds to everyone else, 200 people per day ;-)

If anyone who pre-ordered before May 15th has not received their preview, please contact samantha@unity3d.com!

34. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

And to add to what Samantha just said, we *also* have a beta program that we are running with selected customers. The purpose of the beta is to help us get bug reports so we can get all the problems ironed out of this exciting new version. We are limiting the size of this beta so we don't get flooded with multiple bug reports about the same problems. The beta is invitation only.

Separately, we have the Preview build. This is going out to all pre-order customers, subject to the hiccups along the road that Sam mentioned. The Preview build is meant to allow early adopters to see the new features and start to read the docs (which are not complete yet!) The Preview build still has bugs in it, and is advertised as being unsupported. It's not that we don't want to help people with the Preview build, it's just that we are trying to focus on quality and getting the bugs that the beta testers report to us addressed.

Hope that helps.

Graham

35. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I just received my beta, I ordered April 7th. Thank you! :D

36. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Must be a bunch of people getting it now, I am just barely squeezing the last of the b3 download at 30KB/s.

37. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

But.. now we have Beta builds and Preview builds?

At the time we pre-ordered:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2010/03/09/unity-3-coming-soon/

"So far the only time frame we’ve promised is “summer 2010″, but we’ll be giving early beta access – and a discount – to anyone who pre-orders."

So what exactly is a Preview build? Is it an older beta or something? Will it be updatable?

This really feels like a slap in the face of those who ordered on the very first day it was announced.

38. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The preview build is essentially the same as the beta build... everyone is on beta 3 right now.

39. Metron

Metron

Got my second beta mail today and just downloaded the b3 (had b2 b4 LOL). Well... something that could be improved with the current beta "delivery" is an actual release note with changes/fixes from one b to another.

Other than that: I like the new color scheme :)

40. zumwalt

zumwalt

fwiw, b2 update states that the build is up to date, the download is a b3 download, so the help/version check isn't working in b2, so I guess it is fixed in b3?

41. Dreamora

Dreamora

or the beta test against a service thats not intend to work until the real release happens

42. JSilver

JSilver

I pre-ordered on 12th march, got my B2 download mail on 25th June and my B3 download mail today. My B3 download speed was between 850kb and 1.6 MB/s a few minutes ago.

Thanks UT :D

43. zumwalt

zumwalt

WOH, do not download the b3

Critical failure:

Failed to initialize Direct3D 9.
    Make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed, have drivers for your
    graphics card and have not disabled 3D acceleration
    in display settings.

I will try to roll back to b2, this b3 is dead.

44. kenlem

kenlem

OK. I've been patient but the wait is starting to get to me. I'm going to hold my breath until I receive the preview build. 1.. 2.. 3.. [holds breath, eyes buldge]

45. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Did you try updating directX/graphics card drivers etc first?

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

where is there a critical failure if it requires you to have the current dx version installed? (remember there are about 17 DX9c and the older ones have some serious problems with new drivers so I welcome that they upgraded it, if thats the reason for that error)

47. zumwalt

zumwalt

I have the latest version of the drivers on my machine. b2 works b3 gives that error, fwiw 9.0c is 2006 build of directx and I have to have it for 3Imapct and TrueVision3d along with DarkBasic

EDIT: sorry there are actually around 32 builds of 9.0c, june 2010 is the latest build

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

I have them all installed dating back to the first build of 9.0c to the latest.

48. Dreamora

Dreamora

that has nothing to do with drivers but with the DX runtime.
    to ensure its the most current one you have installed, the easiest way is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=de

will always install all missing versions of dx (and dx9.0c)

should it still show the problem post that and should you be 100% sure that the screen on which you try to run has hw acceleration enabled, then filing a bug report (if not done) would surely help b4 :)

49. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'm getting an error in one of my custom scripts with b3 that wasn't causing a problem with b2
    and cannot go into playmode until it's fixed (waiting to hear from my scripting guy).

50. zumwalt

zumwalt

Here ya go, my dxdiag for review, my guess is that this is an improper diagnostic test in the build, thats all. The email said that bug reports for this build are likely not to be looked at and to wait until the release of U3, I learned a long time ago to simply do as Unity asks :)

Attached Files: