Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

realtime shadows is not the same as lightmaps.

beast does not generate realtime lighting effects

2. blockimperium

blockimperium

That would have been great and gave us something to do in the interim while we wait. Ah well, for version 4 :D

3. rockysam888

rockysam888

I did not know if someone mentioned this before.

If you upgrade old island demo with unity3 preview, the tree emit yellow light (golden tree) after the player go under the water (ie. after the blur effect)

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah. One of the reasons why we're still working on 3.0 and not shipping it for real :)

5. Peter G

Peter G

@Dreamora. Thanks. It seemed highly unlikely, but the video I saw confused me some so I figured I'd ask.

6. iphonedev

iphonedev

HiggyB wrote:

iphonedev wrote:
    Order Unity with iPhone March 13, 2010. Got my email last week. Tried to activate Unity and keep getting this message when using my U3 s/n.

This version of Unity cannot be activated with a free or trial license.

Any one else able to activate the preview with Unity with iPhone?

Make sure that you are using your new Unity 3 serial number and not your 2.x serial number. If you are in fact doing that then contact me directly and I'll look into this for you.

Using my U3 s/n. Has anyone at all been able to get Unity with iPhone preview to activate? Going on 5th day now no response back from Unity Support. Guessing they are busy with preview issues? Wouldn't know since I can't get it to activate :)

7. Torch Dexter

Torch Dexter

Try emailing support again, I had the same issue and they got back to me within a day with a temporary serial (that works) to use until issues with Unity iPhone activations are sorted out.

8. iphonedev

iphonedev

Did that this morning by asking for status on original case number. They replied with another case number. Glad to hear there is a temp solution. So hopefully when I make it through the queue I'll be able to test drive the preview. Right now I am Unity less since the preview over wrote the working install. At least I have been able to read the new manual.

Thanks.

9. duke

duke

According to my S***ty Excel spreadsheet, "June'rs" would start getting the beta at the end of July. I need more data captain!

This is based on the announcement that it had gone out to 100 people at the time of June 24, where pre-orders began March 09, and a second figure thanks to a poster of June 28 / order on March 21.

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I've sent off an email asking for a status update on where we are with things, what the expected time line is supposed to look like, etc. So just hang in there and I hope to have the information for y'all tomorrow, straight from those managing the effort. :)

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As to you folks with activation woes please hang tight, I have to look into those issues and see what's happening. If you've written our support or sales teams about those problems then please ping me via Private Message and confirm either the case number you have open *or* the email address you used when writing us (with that I can find your case number easily). With that in hand I can help expedite the problem solving and response process for you. Thanks!

Otherwise if I don't hear from folks I will manually look into the situations mentioned above, but a quick PM wouldn't hurt and in fact it might help! :)

12. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

Quite fascinating Mr.Scott. It would seem there is only one possible solution, and slingshotting off the sun will be quite dangerous. I'd suggest you reinforce the forward sheilds and I let remind you Mr.Scott ... you are wearing a red shirt.

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And for those too young or just not "Trekie" enough, that's a sign of certain death! :eek: :D

14. duke

duke

I'm too fat I can't reach cell B5!

15. mutatedwombat

mutatedwombat

So, if you placed your order X days after March 9th, then you might possibly see something approximately X/3 days after June 24th? Or not.

16. duke

duke

Code (csharp):
    2. var o; //Order date
    3. var b; //Beta received
    5. const DateTime[] knownPair1 = new DateTime[2]{June 24, March 9};
    6. const DateTime[] knownPair2 = new DateTime[2]{June 28, March 21};
    8. DateTime GetBetaDate(DateTime orderedOn)
    9. {
    10.  int offset1 = knownPair1[1] - knownPair1[0];
    11.  int offset2 = knownPair2[1] - knownPair2[0];
    13.  int diff = offset2 - offset1;
    15.  diff = diff < 0 ? diff * -1 : diff;
    17.  float adjustment = offset2 / offset1;
    19.  return (new DateTime + offset1) * adjustment;
    20. }
    ..or something along those lines. The adjustment code needs more attention if I have a 3rd variable. At the moment i'm assuming all 100 of the announced people to get it on the 24th got it on the 24th, which is wrong, so this also affects it.

17. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If they are doing 100 a day, what you need is how many total orders have been placed before yours. I recorded my U3 serial number at 4:11 AM EST on the 3/9 and received my download link on 6/23 at 11:15 AM EST.

18. duke

duke

But the thing is i'm 99% sure it's not 100 a day. I think when HiggyB said 100 had been sent out, they began sending them out before this post. The number, to take a random guess, is probably more like 25. So in fact the order date may have little to do with it - it would be more about where you are in the queue of pre-orders.

19. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Right.

EDIT: Thought I read somewhere/some time that they were doing 100 per day, but could be mistaken.

20. ElmarKleijn

ElmarKleijn

Hm, I wanted to pre-order it (bit late, I know) but got stuck at the last step in some kind of protection scheme ("Securecode") attached to the Mastercard. Now I have to wait a day for the person that actually owns the card can solve that for me (sounds a bit sketchy I suppose? :wink: :p).

Now, I can just already see it coming that the pre-order ends today. :roll:.

Can't wait to use Unity 3 eventually though, I've been looking forward to the debugger for a while :).

21. jonathanbrill

jonathanbrill

Hi All,

This continues to be a severe limitation in 2.6. Is there a possibility of this changing in Unity 3? It would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks.
    Jonathan

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

which limitation / feature are we talking about

23. fivearchers

fivearchers

Sega32X support clearly!

24. kenlem

kenlem

I can't find the "Build Fallout 3" button.

25. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

His Post subject says:

"Geometry Caching and PLA in Unity 3"

so I suppose that is what he means...

26. fivearchers

fivearchers

No there's no Geometry Caching on the 32X...

27. jonathanbrill

jonathanbrill

My more specific question was about Geometry Cache and Point Level Animation support out of Maya and c4d.

28. fivearchers

fivearchers

Well PLA export *would* be quite awesome :)

29. Dreamora

Dreamora

so all the modeller software supported by unity offer geo caches and pla?

cause I would assume this to be a criteria unless a dev studio sponsors such a feature specific to their workflow only while being totally useless for 80%++ of the users

30. uk2010

uk2010

HiggyB wrote:

iphonedev wrote:
    Order Unity with iPhone March 13, 2010. Got my email last week. Tried to activate Unity and keep getting this message when using my U3 s/n.

This version of Unity cannot be activated with a free or trial license.

Any one else able to activate the preview with Unity with iPhone?

Make sure that you are using your new Unity 3 serial number and not your 2.x serial number. If you are in fact doing that then contact me directly and I'll look into this for you.

I also have this problem with the Unity 3 iPhone preview. My existing license was for Unity Indie+iPhoneBasic, rather than free+iPhone, I was wondering whether that confused things? I am using my Unity 3 Serial number on OSX, and the web activation goes through the process and implies that everything is fine.
    http://files.fadetowhite.com/unity_1.jpg
    However when I try to launch unity I get the same message as above.
    http://files.fadetowhite.com/unity_2.jpg
    Who should I contact about this? support@unity.com?

Update: Contacted unity support via email and they provided a solution to the problem.

What was the solution ?

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

indie + basic is the same as free + basic. Indie ceased to exist by dec 31st 2009 :)

32. TrialByFun

TrialByFun

Ditto on "What was the solution?"

I tried contacting support on monday about the same issue, but haven't heard anything back since then. ( Also didn't receive an auto ticket email which was strange )

The blog seems to be down now too, which makes me wonder if email server is out too hence no replies?

I really want to start playing with U3, but I can't get passed the activation screen without help :(

33. Metron

Metron

Hi everyone,

I seem to remember that the "100 per shipment" is due to 2 facts: a) throttle the feedback, b) handing out new versions of U3.

My question: Which version is being shipped now?

The one I downloaded when I got the email is: 3.0.0b2

Is it the same for everyone? Or are others getting more recent ones?

Is there a "place" where beta users can see what is currently being fixed etc?

Thanks and have fun...

34. Torch Dexter

Torch Dexter

They sent me a working temporary serial number for Unity Pro + iPhone that expires at the end of July.

35. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm not sure where you're getting your data but we are in fact processing 100 pre-sales transactions per day (per business/working day) to notify folks and grant them pre-release build access. The only days where fewer than 100 new people are offered builds is when we encounter the same person for a second time (for example, if you first bought an upgrade from Unity Pro 2.x to Unity Pro 3.x, then a few days later you added Unity iPhone Pro).

Note: we didn't process 100 people yesterday due to extenuating circumstances, see my comments below in response to SBurgess for more information.

Neither of those are changing in 3.0 Jon, sorry about that. And I.O.U. an email, I'll get to that later today.

FWIW: this cat here, Jon Brill, he and I strangely go way way way back. He's a long-time friend of an old roommate of mine. Funny how small the world is, we part ways and some years later cross paths again 'cause of Unity... :)

Exactly. It's so the volume of feedback (email bugs) ramps up instead of being one sudden tidal wave, and so that we can in fact provide new builds over time (read on!).

We at Unity Tech have suffered not one but two separate problems over the last two days. The first problem is that on Tuesday our Copenhagen office had a power outage, like the entire building (there are other companies in the building), and the power was out for something like 10 hours! We lost power around noon on Tuesday and it wasn't restored until roughly 10pm that night. This caused folks to be unable to work as normal as we have a few systems that run out of our office, so that sucked (#1). So today folks show up ready to catch-up on things and get back to it and bam, our second problem came when a key server, that's hosted off-site, went kaput on us. This caused issues with email (couldn't send/receive), our blog and more. This happened today (Wednesday) around 3pm in Copenhagen and it was only resolved a few hours ago. So please forgive any glitches or delays these past two days, and let's pray for an easy day without drama tomorrow!

Currently everyone is getting Beta 2 so you have the most current build available.

We're distributing the same build to our private beta users and to pre-purchase customers, but over time newer builds will be made available. For example, we're soon to have Beta 3 ready to go so folks will have a newer and better build to bang on for a bit. I've sent an email asking how pre-purchase folks that already have builds will get notified when that happens, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll post an update here once I know so everyone stays informed.

Once again I claim a bit of ignorance as I'm not 100% clear on exactly what is being communicated to pre-purchase customers and how so I'm not sure. Those in our private beta program have access to release notes with each build we post, and those release notes are cumulative and cite the new features included as well as the bugs that have been fixed. If pre-purchase folks have access to that then give it a look, if they don't then, well, I'd say that's a problem. The same email asking about how we'll notify people when beta 3 ships (see above) also asks about the overall process also asks about release notes so stay tuned on that front as well.

Which is a workaround, not a fix. :p I'm still going to dig into these issues, but as noted above we had some major systems issues today, along with tons of 3.0 launch prep meetings for the sales team, and those have limited my available time quite a bit today.

Keep the questions coming if you have 'em folks!

36. TrialByFun

TrialByFun

Wowzers! Looks like you guys have had a busy couple of days!! that explains a lot :D When it rains it pours hey?

Thanks for getting back to me, I can look forward to getting in on the U3 build action soon then?....assuming tomorrow isn't the apocalypse of course ;)

37. spaz8

spaz8

I'm one of those ppl that went from preordering unity 3 iphone basic a month ago .. to deciding to go iphone Pro today :)

That complicates things I suppose?

I got a temp 2.6.1 license almost immediately back a month ago with iphone basic, but I guess the recent events and volume have delayed me getting a confirm/temp license email from unity. I did get a RBSworldpay confirmation though, and funds have been captured.

38. duke

duke

My question comes in 2 parts:

a) Are you aware that you have the competition beat?, and b) Are you therefore partying hard?

39. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Agreed.

40. Metron

Metron

Thanks Higgy for the clarifications. You're doing a great job *thumbsup*

41. duke

duke

Yeah so back to my excel spreadsheet...

No but seriously have any "April'ers" got their beta?

42. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"Yeah so back to my excel spreadsheet..."
    Run it through the XZ1000 (1Hz) and before the calculations are done I'm sure you will have your link.

:)

43. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Guys, the "Why doesn't Unity give me everything for free?" discussion has moved to Gossip as you're going to be talking about it for another 30 pages...

44. GaborD

GaborD

@Duke: (for your spreadsheet) ;)
    I ordered march 30th and don't have it yet.
    I added iPhone Pro on top April 16th though, so maybe I got bumped back to that date. (although giving even more money shouldn't bump you to a worse spot :p )

So I am guessing they are currently somewhere around the beginning of April.

45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for bringing the focus back on topic, Unity 3 is getting closer,I'm hoping for some new unity 3 specific demos soon! ( ie new shader functions, light mapping, physics )

46. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hey.... I am just wondering, when will Unity be able to natively create Windows and OSX screensavers, as a build target? I know there are some ways to fudge it (mostly) on Windows but Mac screensavers are really hard to create due to OSX's required use of the screensaver framework and native GUI elements. It would be great if Unity 3 (or soon after) could build to these targets to create `proper` screensavers and take the pain out of it.

Also while I'm at it.. I thought it might be cool to be able to generate iTunes visualizers, also?

47. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Here's an update on the update process... :p Unity 3.0 now has an editor auto-update feature built into it and upon launch it will check our servers for an updated build and if one is found then you'll be prompted to update. For example, look at the image I've attached to this post (autoupdate_dialog.png). The image shows what happens when I launch Beta 1 on my machine, it launches and detects that Beta 2 is out and the dialog shows, prompting me to update. Of course it doesn't check _every_ launch, it only does so periodically and you can always "force" it to look by going to the Help menu. Nice! :)

No, not really. The first time you appear in the sales list for Unity 3.0 is when you'll get an email notifying you how/where to get the builds, then you just plug in the "newer" (aka Pro) serial number and get to it. :)

If only... (a) We might have a lead in some people's eyes but I'll never claim the competition is over or that anyone has been beaten, and (b) the hard partyin' fun doesn't start until we ship this thing. :)

Who knows, maybe never? The truth is that we're only focused on one thing right now, Unity 3.0, and that isn't a 3.0 feature. Looking beyond this release it's hard to tell if/when screensaver publishing will ever be a supported build target, let alone when it might appear. But hey, let's keep this thread focused on Unity 3.0 and the fact the pre-release builds are now shipping to pre-purchase customers, booyeah! :)

Same logic as above as there's no way to tell, although iTunes equalizers seem exceedingly unlikely even compared to screensavers, and even those seem unlikely to me. So I'd suggest that you not hold your breath while waiting for iTunes equalizers... :)

Attached Files:

48. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update, I'm hoping to get to try out the beta this soon, it's really hard to wait once you know something is out there. Looking forward to the new audio features, I will start playing with tracker files to create a sound track.
    Shaders for the iPhone is definitely one of the features I like to try out.

49. iphonedev

iphonedev

How long is the support queue? I'm going on 7 days with my Unity iPhone preview activation issue. Still no response?

50. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I will go cry now about the death of my screensaver future. But not really. ;-)