Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

well to bad the new version no have an fast rapid waypoits application.

The waypoint have any time scripting example:
    var waypoints : Transform;
    Function onWaypoint()//function onFinishwaypoint() etc....
    {
    object.path.createViaWaypoints(objects.waypoints.position); // Find a route to the nextwaypoint
    object.path.followBegin(); // Go!
    }

function Update()
    {
    followAutoMoveSpeed = 5.0;
    followAutoTurnSpeed = 5.0;
    followBegin = true;

}

This example if from dx studio whit modification.

2. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

To give an example, I had made the following video. I still have not figured out what I am doing wrong, nor have I found an answer.

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/blogs/petey/when-noobness-shines

3. jashan

jashan

I have Unity iPhone Pro - so maybe that's what's making the difference. Aside of that, I tried reproducing this here, trying to mimic the same settings you have (like .NET 2.1, Universal, Override IPod Music) ... no luck.

So hopefully, the UT guys can reproduce it somehow or at least figure out what the issue is.

It would certainly be cool if someone who uses Unity iPhone ("previously Basic") and has the beta in their hands could try to reproduce it. I'm sorry I can't be of much help on this.

4. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

No problem. I have pretty much given up on it until I see someone else talking about it. It is a beta after all, not everything is going to work smoothly.

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

I am just filing bug reports and moving on past problems since it is a beta. On the windows build, it has a windows forms reference in the unityengine library that should not be in there so it is expecting a library that does not exist in the build. It took a while to track that error down, so it has to do with how they are building the app. Anything you find, just bug report and scoot on to the next thing. Not sure why that was not caught in closed beta, but things slip through the crack from time to time for sure.

6. jashan

jashan

When it comes to references in assemblies what I just learned very recently is that you should not use the standard Mono-DLLs but instead the ones that come with Unity and are placed in Mono/lib/mono/unity (the ones in Mono.framework also gave me lots of trouble - basically while it worked in the editor all my builds failed due to missing references that couldn't be resolved).

Also, in beta2, you should still avoid using log4net (it'll crash Unity hard). It seems getting that multiplatform-support working with Mono is really far from trivial so I guess there will still be quite a bit of work going on in that area ;-)

7. ratamorph

ratamorph

Exact same thing I get, I also have iphone basic, so that has to be it. I can only assume all the devs use iphone advanced so something slipped for sure here.

I filed a bug report, hopefully the devs are reading this or test it with iphone basic.

8. duke

duke

Any June buyers get theirs yet? :p

9. GaborD

GaborD

Even March isn't through yet, so I guess June is still a bit of a wait.

10. IOZO

IOZO

Ordered end of march. Just got it today :D

11. opticfibre

opticfibre

Just got my email :)))) i ordered 8th April!!!

12. defjr

defjr

Me too! :D

13. iphonedev

iphonedev

Order Unity with iPhone March 13, 2010. Got my email last week. Tried to activate Unity and keep getting this message when using my U3 s/n.

This version of Unity cannot be activated with a free or trial license.

Any one else able to activate the preview with Unity with iPhone?

Thanks.

14. Peter G

Peter G

Maybe I missed this. Are the Unity Pro and Unity Iphone betas shipping in parallel or is everyone in one LONG line?

15. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

It is my understanding that you need Unity Pro in order to get in the beta. If you have Unity (free version) and iPhone Basic, then you are not in the beta.

16. iphonedev

iphonedev

Then why did they send me the beta email?

Also when I pre-ordered the iPhone upgrade it says I will be included in the Beta when available?

???

17. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

I could be wrong. It was just my understanding that you needed to have Unity Pro. With iPhone Advanced you will also have Unity Pro as it is a requirement for it.

18. blockimperium

blockimperium

May is still in wait mode...

19. Peter G

Peter G

Unless something has changed, it sounds like everyone that paid for some upgrade will get a beta. I just don't know how they are distributing. See my post above.

20. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

I stand corrected!

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will there be a 30-day trial for Pro version just like there is now?

22. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I ordered the first week of April, crossing fingers!!!

23. seventyfive

seventyfive

@TheGoodGuysAtUnity
    maybe a simple confirmation after orderin, which number in the que we are would have been helpful :)

@AlreadyReceivedABeta:
    how far away from final is the beta from your point of view? any obvious glitches when working with older projects?

..we are aprx 4 weeks away from release, therefore: does it make sense to wait for the beta/release?

e.g. how is fmod integrated by now?

thx eagerly awaiting (maybe two?) beta keys from my april pre order... :)

24. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

by the way what kind of a bandwidth you guys have 100 mb ? :D
    this is a shame
    don't promise a beta if you can't

25. jashan

jashan

I think FMOD integration really rocks - but there still are some edges here and there.

Depending on what you were using in your older projects, there may be some porting necessary. Like: The GlowEffect has been improved and now needs more shaders, so when you update the Pro Standard Assets, you'll have to assign those because Unity can't do that automatically. For that specific case, I have an editor script, though.

Also some APIs have changed and Mono is a bit more strict now, so if you have been doing illegal stuff ... judgement day is near ;-)

I think you'd usually expect some issue with a major update like this. In general, I'd say the conversion is smoother than I would have expected (and it's quite possible that some edges are still polished off until the final release). It's a lot of fun working with this beta and I've had more trouble in earlier cycles of "minor releases", so I think UT is doing a very professional job with their QA.

26. Undead

Undead

It would be nice to know how far along / how many are to go in this beta rollout...After all for those of us who had to save up for months to buy the pre-order of Unity 3 we had no choice but to wait for some time to buy and imo rolling them out 100 a day is a little slow :?

Will we get the beta download like a few days before 3.0 is released? :p

27. Danneman

Danneman

9th of april - but just the update from iphone basic so perhaps Im not entitled to the beta...?

28. Peter G

Peter G

@Danneman

See my post a page or 2 before yours, but it appears that everyone who paid for some update will get the beta.

29. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm back all, you sure get to be a busy group over the weekend! :D

I'd like to ask that folks please stop asking specific technical questions in this thread, instead we'd like you to post those in your own new threads in topic-appropriate areas here on the forums (ex: if you have iPhone build errors then go post those in the iPhone Dev area, nothing them as specific to the 3.0 build). Posting them here hides the discussion under the "wrong" heading, putting them in their own thread makes them easier to search for. Thanks for your understandng!

Ok, ready? Read on for my replies to outstanding questions, if I missed anything feel free to repost those and I'll answer 'em.

Thanks for the comment there, getting it even a day early is more than not at all, and we're laying this on top of a hefty discount set (20%-35% depending on what license(s) you purchase). For reference, we're not even at release candidate stage internally so there's time to go, please don't fret too much over this and we'll keep builds and demos and videos etc. rollin' on out.

The answer there is entirely in Apple's court, we cannot force them to provide us with new information or an explicit "you're approved" (or not) statement. For now we continue to remain confident that we'll get through this as-is, Unity-authored apps continue to get accepted (any rejections are based on the content not the tool) and they continue to use Unity apps in their own marketing efforts, both being very positive signs in our opinion. But ultimately we *will* have some sort of iPhone solution, it's all just a matter of what form that takes. FWIW, I do believe that David Helgason is planning to post some sort of an update soon (on our blog), but I'll have to check in on that to be sure.

We'll be including MonoDevelop as the new default script editor and it is a mildly tweaked version. But as always you'll be free to use your own script editor if you'd like.

It's due to manpower bandwidth, not literal server delivery bandwidth. It's a steady rollout with successively improving builds so that as we involve larger and larger audiences with better and better builds. So when we're at all, or nearly all pre-purchasers we'll be at an even closer to ship-shape build.

Make sure that you are using your new Unity 3 serial number and not your 2.x serial number. If you are in fact doing that then contact me directly and I'll look into this for you.

It's one app now, Unity, Unity iPhone, Unity Android, etc. So it's one "line", but we're distributing builds to folks in batches over time.

Of course there will, we'll have trials of all licenses and of course keep offering Unity for free.

No, that's not sensible at all in my book. Let's pretend we released today, with that in mind I'd still question this decision as it's risky to change your underlying technology that close to release, Unity or otherwise. Now add to that the fact that you still have to wait, possibly more than four weeks to get a final build drop and things get worse. If you want/need to discuss your project with me in specific then feel free to drop me a line and we can chat about it.

Just to answer it, FMOD is now what drives audio in our core engine.

Who ever said we can't deliver it? Jeez... It's a human bandwidth issue in terms of dealing with feedback more than a server bandwidth issue dealing with downloads. Betas are by definition buggy compared to shipping software, so as you roll out builds to larger audiences you're going to start dealing with the bug reporting realities, like duplicate bug reports, higher email volumes, etc. So as the group gets larger we need the builds to be better, we're handling that by a steady rollout. Nothing in there is a shame IMO nor is anything in there a statement of inability

30. ale870

ale870

Hello,

can you tell me what will be the features of FREE version 3.0? Can I use shadows? And occlusion culling? More?

thank you for the info!

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

we don't know what will be present and what not at the time, but I guess by the time of release of 3.0 the page will be correspondingly updated.

32. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

aha
    now its clear , sorry about that :)
    take your time then i will star my project with 2.6
    1 Q : is the release date 4 weeks from now ?

33. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I thought everyone who preordered it would get it at the same time.. like a month or 2 before everyone else before the final release... I didnt think that since i got it in like may or june that i probably wont even get an early release beta... :(

34. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We don't have the full license comparison sheet ready but we will have it posted some time before shipping. In general the only feature that's moving from Pro to standard status is the ability to call native code on the iPhone, that feature is Pro-only today but will be available in both licenses in 3.0. Other than that, real-time shadows will remain Pro-only, occlusion culling will be Pro-only, the lightmapping tools will be in both licenses (Unity free will support direct lighting only, Pro will have direct and bounce lighting), the new audio filters will be Pro-only, deferred rendering Pro-only, debugging will be in both licenses, unified editor in both licenses, scene browse/search in both licenses... We'll have a complete set of information in a nice, easy to read table format before release so just hang tight.

We'll be doing a major site update for the launch, that includes the feature pages, license comparison page, store, etc.

35. ale870

ale870

Thank you!

36. Dreamora

Dreamora

@HIggyB: I might be stupid, but I don't see the occlusion culling being pro only to work out well, given that Umbra kills the original occlusion culling on the iphone, its not optional to make it at least "non pro" on the iphone / android liceses.

Was that summary for the desktop primarily?

37. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We have no release date to announce just yet, but something along those lines is what we're aiming for hence our recent announcement email (letting folks know that time is now running short).

That question has been addressed a few times in this thread already... You will get a pre-release build drop, nobody that's actually an employee at UT has ever said you won't get one. We didn't promise/hint at simultaneous delivery, nor did we promise/hint at the exact timing of build drops. We're delivering on what was offered and I honestly think it's a compelling offer.

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nope, that was across the board, and that means we do have a feature moving from "both" to "Pro-only" status and that's occlusion culling on the iPhone. That's not a decision that is going to sit well with many (including my having groaned over it), but for now that's the case. But there are final details to be resolved so none of this should be considered final until we post a new (and thus final) license comparison sheet on our store (consider what I'm saying here as rough guidance for now).

39. ale870

ale870

one question: instead of supplying a limited version of unity for free, why don't you supply full version for non-commercial purposes?
    For example, now I cannot pay money to buy a full version, but I'm starting to make a game. With free version, I'm "obliged" to get limited features, and maybe I could be discouraged to use it (some other engines offer, for example, real time shadows in the "basic" or free version).
    Instead, if I could take a free-full-featured version, I could start to see the real power of the engine, and I can decide to buy the full product if I see my game is going on seriously.
    You produce a great engine, and I'm happy to see I can use a free version, but the problem is the free version has some "hard" limitations. In the past I bought "cheap" version.
    I wish to test my game with the advanced features of Unity, and I need some time to see if my project goes on (I'm an indie senior developer, my budget is really LIMITED, and I need some time to see what happen to my project, even considering the result obtained, and even with community feedback).

Again, I think a full non commercial version, could even allow you to get more publicity, since some GOOD non-commercial games could be a good opportunity to get publicity for free (you could put a startup-splash screen, or other things).

I kindly ask you to help the people that get a great potential but not so many money :)

Thank you.

40. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

How does a free version for NON-commercial uses help you get any money? It won't, you'll still be broke and without money, yet know of features you can never get.

We're doing exactly what you're asking for already by allowing you to use the free version for commercial or non-commercial uses, thus allowing you to spend zero dollars, earn money and then upgrade as needed/appropriate. Then in the meantime if you want to see the power of the features in Pro you simply get the Pro trial and play with it for 30-days. Easy and realistic, no?

41. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Too easy to abuse is my guess!

42. ale870

ale870

43. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

Let's get back to the topic at hand shall we.

I think @HIggyB should post what date they are processing pre-orders from, at regular intervals ... so we can check e-ver-y hour. Come on mannnn ... you know ;) ...

44. bocs

bocs

Preordered Mar 21, got my Beta email this morning Jun 28th so maybe you can guesstimate some by that.

45. Torch Dexter

Torch Dexter

I also have this problem with the Unity 3 iPhone preview. My existing license was for Unity Indie+iPhoneBasic, rather than free+iPhone, I was wondering whether that confused things? I am using my Unity 3 Serial number on OSX, and the web activation goes through the process and implies that everything is fine.
    http://files.fadetowhite.com/unity_1.jpg
    However when I try to launch unity I get the same message as above.
    http://files.fadetowhite.com/unity_2.jpg
    Who should I contact about this? support@unity3d.com?

Update: Contacted unity support via email and they provided a solution to the problem.

46. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

ahaha ... I'll feed that into the neuronet.

47. reissgrant

reissgrant

While I'm waiting for my beta to arrive, is there some documentation I can read about new code changes / functions that are in version 3?

48. Dreamora

Dreamora

thats part of the Unity 3 beta so no.

large parts are the same, new functions are primarily there for new things.

49. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

There are no API discussions that I recall going on, but there is a thread about the new features over here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=55897

50. Peter G

Peter G

I am still waiting on my beta (I ordered late, so my date won't help anybody), but will Unity free be able to bake shadows with Beast? It appears that Beast will bake your scene as it appears (with some added juice like AO and GI), but since Free doesn't have shadows...