Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. opticfibre

opticfibre

Ok, now I don't want to come across pushy here, but i ordered my Unity 3 pro on 7th April at 10:45.

Having recently upgraded to the new OS4 sdk, i cant compile any projects new or old..... crazy architecture error, even when i do get it to compile and start to install to device, the device says crazy architecture error!?!

so I was rather hoping an April purchase would get me out of a bit of a pickle!

(ps. it's 3am here) really need to figure this architecture error :))) Plus the fact that 2 projects i submitted have been rejected and require re-compiling..... and guess what.... i cant now :)) Boss is going to be pretty happy in the morning...

"So how did those re-compiles go last night.....", "Ahhh well.... ya see, what happend was........"

please please please Unity 3 to meeeeeeeee.
    (check my purchase date) :)

2. defjr

defjr

Have you posted this problem in the iPhone Development subforum or on answers.unity3d.com? I'm not sure Unity 3 is going to magically fix your problem, in fact it will probably set you further back tbqh. hth

btw, I preordered on 26 March and still haven't gotten the email with dl instructions... but I'm trying to be patient. ;)

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

compiling with Unity 1.7 against OS4 GM SDK was no problem (didn't test on the real one as I downloaded it just last night).

There were just a few steps needed doing so:

1. Project settings -> base sdk to 4.0, ensure that gcc is 4.2 (select 3.1.3 as target in unity for iphone only, otherwise 3.2), check provision

2. Target settings -> base sdk to 4.0, deployment target to 3.1.3 (or 3.0 but thats only 3% more users or alike. 90%+ are on 3.1.3+), check provision

3. cleanall - build - happy :)

4. opticfibre

opticfibre

Many thanks for that, however iPhone 3G will not accept the build, iPad and 3GS only. 3G complains "An unknown error message 'IncorrectArchitecture', was received from the device." time for bed....zzzzzz

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Oh yeah sorry forgot one step:

on 1 and 2 check the architecture and set it to standard (arm6 arm7) and then in the project menu - set active architecture set it to ARM6 :)

and if you love to save time: Go into your unity iphone app package /Contents/Frameworks/iPhone-Trampoline

and do the changes there so all future builds will be right

6. defjr

defjr

Thanks for this tip. It's so annoying to change every build.

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Please redirect any questions about using the current product elsewhere, we want this thread to stay on topic and that topic is the coming release of Unity 3.0 and more specifically, that the first batch of betas have gone out to those that pre-purchased their licenses. Thanks!

8. blockimperium

blockimperium

Wow if you haven't gotten it, I didn't order until May so I may never see it :) This is like waiting in line for an iPhone - not knowing when its going to happen is unnerving.

9. Silver

Silver

Give beta! i can not wait anymore :cry:

order date 13th March. (could it be coz its 13!? my luck sux!?) :?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

no because you are 2.x months down the queue

11. Silver

Silver

Unity3 announcement was on March 8th. i placed my pre-order five days later! how come that put me 2 months queue?

12. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

as i understand some of us may have access before the release by 1 week or less :(
    if what i understand is right then i didn't get it when you guys said " early access to the beta " :?

13. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Dreamora is really just guessing there. You're actually very early in the queue and might get your copy within the next day or two.

14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

So when I ordered yesterday I guess this means at the end of the queue and will be waiting for "a few weeks" unfortunately.
    Hope the time window between the rollouts won't be that long.

15. PolyMad

PolyMad

Ohhh that's great news :D
    Even if, when 3 is coming on July (I read this somewere here on forums) I could wait :D

16. duke

duke

It would be inconsequential, but you're talking about weeks and not days. The bandwidth concerns and ramping up the process as opposed to suddenly makes sense, but this ain't right. You could have stopped at practical reasons, and i'm only engaging in a pointless exercise of argument here, but a rollout over not days, but weeks, is definitely something that should be stated as a condition - it's quite out of the ordinary (I cannot recall any similar example, every software pre-release or early game release I have participated in has been distributed on the day to everyone legible).

17. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited about getting my hands on the beta as I did purchase 3.0 back in April, but I can wait for that magical email.

That said, I can agree with a few of the posts. Everyone has paid the same monies and committed to Unity for another release. I'm not sure the first 100 are anymore committed to Unity as the second 100 etc.

Anyway, I'm waiting patiently for my email... getting excited.

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It would be great if Unity 3 has an attribute spread sheet like maya has.
    This way you can easily change many object parameters at the same time.

19. jashan

jashan

Actually, I do see a difference between someone who ordered right after the announcement vs. someone who just ordered a few days ago. For some, it's more than $2000 they gave to UT without having a specific release date. Personally, I expected Unity 3 to be released at Unite 2010 (that's "summer", historically ;-) ).

Theoretically, all the people pre-ordering might have paid for a few extra devs to get Unity 3 ready this early, so I think a tiny benefit is just fair (even if not expected) ;-)

Probably, if they had done it the other way round (everyone gets it at the same time), some funny person would have found a reason to complain about that, too ("hey, I ordered months ago and now those folks who just ordered yesterday get it at the same time"). After seeing people go nuts about Unity being given away for free, there is no more thing that would surprise me ;-)

Anyways, I hope for everyone to get the beta as soon as possible - I can understand that having to wait is not the most fun kind of thing.

20. opticfibre

opticfibre

Panic Over!!!! :)

Sorry to mention this again in this thread.... Just downloaded OS4 SDK final, and all is well again..

Now wheres my U3 email :) (just kidding)

21. Silver

Silver

I just got my beta !! time to dive in and explore :D
    :D :D

22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

congratulations silver, you are rewarded for you early adoption!

23. sagron6015

sagron6015

Well, some of us ordered before the release date was announced but after the initial couple weeks. As an individual dev, I have to budget to save to buy something like this so it took a couple paychecks (I get paid every 2 weeks). With that said, I don't mind too much since either way the actual release will be coming soon enough. I mainly wanted the prerelease to test compatibility/necessity/upgrade some of my current 2.x stuff before the release when I would continue development. Oh well, guess ill work on more of my art assets til then.

24. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

yes, i can see your point... I stand corrected. I was thinking about the first 100 compared to 100-200... but where do you draw any line.

25. danien

danien

Hi,

We've been holding off on the upgrade offer as there still hasn't been official confirmation whether games made with Unity iPhone will be approved by Apple's new terms. (If I missed the announcement, my apologies - please point me to it, thank you.)

Is there any chance that there will be an answer before the offer expires when Unity 3.0 launches, so we can safely invest further in Unity?

Thank you.

26. Dreamora

Dreamora

pretty surely no if you mean an "all unity iphone apps are fine to go"

you as app dev need to be approved on case to case base.

but from approvals that still happen today there is no general technology ban obviously

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think there will be a refund if you buy now if all goes wrong.

28. mindlube

mindlube

For someone who has the Beta, does it come bundled with MonoDevelop, and if not, what version of MonoDevelop should I install to get the debugger goodness working? v2.4, or 2.6 of MonoDevelop, or earlier version?
    I'm switching from JS to C# so this is something I can work on while waiting for the Beta anyways. thanks

29. danien

danien

No, not asking about blanket approvals for all Unity apps. Apple might not have a general ban in place for Unity apps today, but their terms are still vague and we don't want to upgrade just to have Apple bring down the stick shortly after while we are still in development. We are planning to ship in a few months' time, so it's enough time to justify an upgrade to 3.0, but also enough time for things to go wrong.

Just wanted to know if there'll be an official confirmation from Unity Tech, so that we can still take advantage of the upgrade offer in time before the launch.

Or at least learn what the contingency plans (http://blogs.unity3d.com/2010/05/11/unity-and-the-iphone-os-4-0-update-ii/) might be, so that we can plan for it.

We'd prefer a contingency that would still allow us to ship, even if it means a little bit of extra work, so a refund would not be preferred (our time wasted) but appreciated (not Unity's fault), but would like to have some official word from Unity.

30. defjr

defjr

I don't think you're going to get an official announcement.

Unity games are being approved every day so you should just go for it. ;)

31. blockimperium

blockimperium

I'll give them a break because I did end up picking it up for hundreds of dollars less than I would have had to pay otherwise. Really want it today, but the steady stream of tutorials and feature videos is keeping me from going nuts :)

32. fivearchers

fivearchers

Just got mine in the last hour or so :)

33. blockimperium

blockimperium

When did you order? That will give us some idea of where they are in the delivery process.

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Waiting patiently :D

35. danien

danien

Yeah, I'm quite optimistic that things will work out but would be nice to convince everyone on the team that their efforts and investment for the next few months won't be wasted. :)

36. jashan

jashan

I think they have a somewhat special version of MonoDevelop with some special Unity goodness included (it's a separate download but it's not the public MonoDevelop download, so I'd say it's "more or less bundled" ;-) ).

The version I have is a "2.4", build date 2010-06-17. There have also been some pretty important bugfixes to the MonoDevelop version that comes with Unity. I'm not sure if those are available in the public MonoDevelop version already, so if you try MonoDevelop and you feel it sucks - don't worry, through Unity comes goodness. ;-)

EDIT: Btw, congratz to switching to the light side of the force ;-)

37. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I have a question?.

With many new things added Versions for this, added it Unity3D editors of waypoints or pathfinder?
    Or one of them.

38. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no path finding in Unity

But the A* path finding system that just recently was released as version 2.8 is hell a lot solid and blazingly fast

39. jashan

jashan

I think there's really no point in adding AI stuff into Unity as that's something that can easily done with scripting / editor scripting. I guess one reason why UT can add so many incredibly cool features is that the focus on the stuff only they can do instead of implementing lots of stuff that a lot of users could implement (and, if they so wish: share ;-) ).

40. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

HiggyB:

Can you tell me if activating unity3 beta on a PC counts towards the activation limit? I have a new laptop (macbook pro core i7 :D) arriving on Monday and don't want to burn an auth out for 2 days of work (just got my key).

It might just be easier for me to wait the two days... it's going to be a long two days!

41. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The pre-release is activated with your serial number so yes it will eat up an activation.

42. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Thanks.

It is going to be a long weekend!

43. giyomu

giyomu

just pre ordered today :p ...now I am waiting to get my hand on this tasty Unity3.0 XDD

44. ratamorph

ratamorph

Has anyone been able to build to iphone?

I get this error every time...

Error building Player: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

45. blockimperium

blockimperium

I dont think I've ever checked my email INBOX more often than since the pre-order announcement went out.

46. jashan

jashan

I think you'll probably need to be a bit more specific than that. Best thing is usually to send a bug report to UT with an exact description of how to reproduce the issue and including the project where you have experienced that behavior.

One very nice thing about the new bug reporter that comes with Unity 3 is that you can attach folders, and the current project or any other folder you attach is automatically zipped and attached (unless you remove it). That makes sending in bug reports much quicker; you can also send multiple attachments. You find the bug reporter in the menu under "Help / Report a bug".

Finally, to nail down your problem: One thing you might try is just creating a new very simple project (a cube ... period). If that shows the same error - file that as a bug report instead of your project. If not: Figure out what the issue is step by step by adding complexity. In the end, you either have the problem fixed (if it was something specific to your project which frequently is the case), or you have the best possible bug report because you gained a much better understanding of the problem.

That helps not only you get your bug fixed but also the QA-team from Unity and in the long run all users (in case that's a bug that would occur for others).

47. VIC20

VIC20

Is the first come first serve principle because of bandwidth only or to make it more fair? When it's just because of bandwidth could I ask a friend who already got the new beta for a copy?

48. Dreamora

Dreamora

as higgy mentioned because of adding people to the beta group and getting all in line so QA on the beta does not just collapse.

49. ratamorph

ratamorph

Thanks for the feedback jashan, I wasn't more specific because I get the error on a fresh project created on unity 3 with just a cube just like you said, so I assumed it was just not working at the moment. But seems like it's on my side so I'll file a bug report.

50. jashan

jashan

Ah, okay ... "fails on a super-simple project" was the kind of specific I was looking for ... that does work for me: Unity warns me when I haven't set the bundle identifier, yet - but once that's done, it builds just fine.

unityunity