Search Unity

The first Unity 3.0 pre-purchase betas are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Robert G

Robert G

I have the Beta installed on one computer, I suppose I can do another install on a second one. Is this correct?

I am having trouble having a second install run on my dell labtop, Unity 2.6 runs just fine but Unity 3 wont start. The error I'm getting is : cannot correctly initialize (0xc0150002)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Robert

2. chingwa

chingwa

OK, got the beta link after emailing support. Thanks guys! Unity3 is awesome so far... am really liking the darker interface, and my projects are running significantly faster right out of the box.

3. collinbxyz

collinbxyz

It looks sooo good!!\\\\fyrfnhv 04r q]chre :eek: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :eek: :eek: :eek: :? W00T!

4. Black Widow

Black Widow

5. Black Widow

Black Widow

Hi,
    Just downloaded the Beta V3 of Unity and at first glance it looks great. The clarity of the screen is fantastic with the blues of the prefab and the reds of the error log at the bottom standing out without screaming at you and the grey background really sets off the text without being oppressive.
    Great job guys.
    Only started with this program a few weeks ago and it is just what i have been looking for.

Attached Files:

6. Black Widow

Black Widow

Hi,
    Just a note on the startup. When i try to open a new tutorial the small window appears and the program hangs and won't start. can't do a Ctl Alt Delete, have to restart.

After a few tries it worked.

Something to look at.

Thanks

7. collinbxyz

collinbxyz

Doesn't the beta mean you have to buy pro???

8. Peter G

Peter G

If you purchase Iphone basic, then you get access to the beta, and you will have the features of the free version only. No realtime shadows, image effects, etc.

9. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

Got a reply to my email to unity sales, and link to the beta, Thanks! Hope to get it installed and running later today, after I do a double backup of my current project.

10. DWORD

DWORD

if i activate the beta version on one pc can i activate the final version on other pc?

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

unity is unity, the licensing system makes no difference between which version you use.

so:
    no you can't if the beta pc is already your second activation of your license (independent on which addon we talk about) or
    yes you can if the beta pc was the first / only activation of the license at the time

12. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

OK, I installed unity 3.04 b, monodevelop, and the other programs, but Unity 3.04 crashes on startup - I don't even get to a splash screen, unity menus or anything else.

I have a Macbook 2Ghz Inctel Core 2 duo. 2 GB ram, Snow Leopard. The only thing that needs updating is Safari (doing that now).

Any ideas why Unity 3.0 crashes after launch?

13. TBoxman

TBoxman

I upgraded my Unity Pro 2.6 to Unity 3, upgraded my Asset Server license, and added Unity for iPhone. I did this probably 15 minutes ago and STILL no beta email.

:)

Kidding. I can't wait to start playing with the Beast Lightmapping.

Kudos Unity dudes (and dudettes)!!!

Terry

14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

check if you have any quicktime components that are conflicting.
    I had an issue with and elgato quicktime component, after removing unity launched just fine.

15. Orion

Orion

Looks fantastic so far! I really really like the physics collision matrix.

Buut.. is there any chance that step-by-step debugging will be possible with VisualStudio? Since you guys integrated visual studio so well, my productivity went by like 300%.. it'd be a shame if I'd constantly have to switch between that and MonoDevelop.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

there is no unity plugin for VS only for mono develop and even if, without the several hundred USD mono addon for VS you couldn't even talk to mono in VS.

17. Orion

Orion

That's a pity. But it answers the question. Thanks!

18. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

All elgato software, flip for mac have been uninstalled, but it still won't open, unfortunately.

I've filed a bug report with the crash log attached.

19. mindlube

mindlube

The release notes thread mentions beta5. My Editor Update Check says beta4 is current. Would someone private-message me the download link for beta5? I also have a message in to support to get on the announce list (I assume there is an email list for the betas?)
    Thanks
    ------
    edit:
    check for updates working again, downloading beta 5 now:)

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

Once it is publically available to preorderers you will get a mail with the link on the corresponding list (to which you should have been added - the mail on b5 has not gone out yet at least it didn't reach me)

21. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Earlier today, while I was working, Unity popped up and said that beta 5 was avaialble... I was too busy to download it at that time. But now, when I check for updates, it states that beta 4 is the latest.

22. flim

flim

Last night the editor prompt me beta 5 available, and I download and install it without problem.

23. capanno

capanno

I have a question about 2 unity interface changes.

1. Selecting the terrain. Back in 2.6, you could only select the terrain in the hierarchy. This was very handy since you don't want to keep on selecting the terrain, its static. I always thought it was a clever design decision. Why was this changed so you can select it in the scene view?

2. Mouse pointer "overlapping". When I move through the scene with the scene camera, or change variables in the inspector with the "scrolling handles", the mouse pointer jumps from the side of the screen to the opposite side and moves an infinite amount into one direction. This is unbelievably annoying. I find myself clicking on things in different parts of the screen thinking the mouse pointer is still in the correct pane.

I don't know if I am the only one, but I consider these things a step backwards in terms of the interface. Adding these as optional settings is fine and all, but is there a way to use the old settings? Especially the mouse pointer scrolling issue.

Other than that, good job on the betas!

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

sounds more like a bug, never had problems selecting it in the scene

25. niosop2

niosop2

I always encounter that as well. Terrain gets selected all the time by accident, is fairly annoying.

26. mindlube

mindlube

Thanks Randy and Dreamora for confirming. I guess Beta5 got released then yanked? Or is the Check for Update feature not working reliably? Or the solar flare this week caused a temporal rift, leaving me in the dust.

Sounds like worth using BugReporter on that one. "usability bug" :)

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Perhaps the name of the script that is missing could be stated in the error message.
    the current description gives no way to know which one it is.

And please forgive me to mention it again could someone please consider moving the osx buttons to the left side were they belong.

I keep looking for them in the wrong place all the time when trying to close the window, Thanks!

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

the buttons were moved by intend to not F*** with the tabs as they would if they were where you mocked them up ... clicking button vs dragging tab

29. mindlube

mindlube

Does double-clicking the error open the offending script in your editor? That's how it should work(in addition to showing the script name)
    Command-w works too most of the time :)

edit:
    LOL/DOH the script is missing, never mind what I wrote above

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

How about this mockup I provided previously, this would work I would assume?

( see left top left of the image where I put the buttons )

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

That would work but break the visual style as there are no bars anymore in the interface. Thats likely one of the reasons it was moved to the right.

It makes the dragging of windows more intuitive and straight, no annoying unbind - move by bar - drag the tab into the target pos again, because the window bar is expected to be the drag area if present, not the tab ...

32. John-B

John-B

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I may have missed the answer to my question. If so, sorry.

I recently purchased Unity iPhone Basic ($300). Now that the iPhone and regular Unity are one product, what does that mean as far as the different versions (pro vs. basic) are concerned? If I want to get rid of the Unity watermark on web apps, do I still need to buy the $1200 Pro version? Would that be in addition to the iPhone basic I already bought? I don't really need any of the pro features, just need to get rid of that logo on stuff we deliver via the web. I can live with the Unity splash screen on iPhone.

33. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Unity Pro and Unity iPhone are separate licenses so for publishing to web etc the watermark/splash still applies.

34. HJP

HJP

with Beta5, I build a runnable windows exe, but it's not runnable under windows ...
    I got the message "Data folder next to the executable not found" ...

35. cosmicmesh

cosmicmesh

I imported a project from b4 to b5. On import, it added:

Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma implicit
    2. #pragma downcast
    to every script. I already had a #pragma strict at the top of all of them, so I think this is a bug.

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

In Unity 3, #pragma strict is more strict than it was in 2.6, so you need the extra #pragmas to keep the scripts acting the same way.

--Eric

37. skeinath

skeinath

that was from June 23rd!!! It has been over a month "or so" - so, where's the LAUNCH???

I am a teacher and want to use the free version in my class, but I don't want to switch after a few months nor keep using the old version all year.

A call to all software companies:
    Release/ship in May, so teachers/professors have time to learn during the summer for implementation in the fall.

38. niosop2

niosop2

Ignore him. Release it when it's ready. It's a lot easier/faster to make changes when it's in beta than after a release. Wait until it's solid. But of course you guys already know and do this :)

39. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats what will happen anyway.

Its unlikely that it will happen prior to mid / late sept out of my view, potentially even oct (so in line with 2009s "summer release")

better than than another Torque style engine that is thrown out in a state where its not even worth the space the source code requires on the harddisk

40. kenlem

kenlem

Every time I see "Torque", I get angry about the money I wasted on that engine. I guess it's my own fault but it sure was an expensive lesson.

41. cosmicmesh

cosmicmesh

Thanks, Eric. Is this documented somewhere? I didn't see it, but that doesn't mean anything. :) Just interested in understanding.

42. caitlyn

caitlyn

Howdy-- well, we're quality driven, not deadline driven. We're shooting for the end of the summer or, at latest, early this autumn. If you choose to buy an educational license of Pro (at a significant educational discount) you can get your hands on the beta right now.

Our free version is not available until the final release date. Our early adopter beta access is just one of many ways we extend a big thanks to our paying customers. We still love our free users, too, though. ;)

Your 2.6 projects will work fine in 3.0, so there's no reason not to get started now if you wish to use the free version.

Thanks best of luck with your new semester!

43. Dreamora

Dreamora

$150 for TGE 1.5, $3xx for TGEA, $505 for T3D Pro, $250 for TGB and $500 for iTorque 2D + a good $700 for addon systems like AFX, the conversation thingy etc

So I know what you talk about.
    I'm generally happy the only thing that gets me furious is the so called QA. Its no bit better now although they have claimed to finally have any QA departement for over 6 months than it was before ... it now just ensures that the broken releases take a month longer to happen

So I'm all happy about UT and their practices and that they invest appropriate amounts of money into the QA to have as solid as reasonable possible releases.

44. tatoforever

tatoforever

I have pretty bad memories of torque engine. I remember being an early adopter of TorqueShaderEngine. Omg, that was a real nightmare. Support was always ugly, but the engine itself was so so broken. I'm happy with UT and i recommend it to any dev that i cross.

45. mindlube

mindlube

Can't resist saying "me too". After frustration and abandonment of a certain other game engine, I am real pleased to be on board with Unity 3 Pro (purchased with revenue from my 1st unity iphone game). Also Unity 3 is shaping up to be a really amazing well engineered product. Good work!

46. rockysam888

rockysam888

Case 364163 was marked as "closed", but the problem still exists in beta5! (I did press "fix it" button to add 2 js files automatically when entering island demo with beta5)
    Please see the movie...
    (Notice the tree in the middle of the scene...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTAu-Ayv3U

47. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This isn't a bug with Unity but a bug with the Assets themselves... if you look at the Banyan and Mimosa leaf materials you'll notice that the Alpha is turned all the way down in the Color property. If you turn that back up to white and "Refresh Tree and Detail Prototypes" for the Terrain it will fix the problem.

48. Detocroix

Detocroix

Its rather visible most (if not all) pre-orderers got their Unity3... so silent thread now :)

49. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Everyone should have their pre-order copy now and if you pre-order at this point you will get a download link to the beta within 24 hours.

50. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi aNTeNNa trEE,

Ok. I see. However, their main color is already white.
    Base Alpha cutoff is not zero.

Also I could not find the option "Refresh Tree and Detail Prototypes".

Could you show me how?

Thanks in advance