Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The fingerprint of your system you work on, simply reconizable by your webbrowser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quatum1000, Jun 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi everyone,

the website https://schemeflood.com of Spalt8 use user-agent spoofing, to determine applications you have installed on your system. Every web browser is the door to your private identification. The information behind all the single applications, the website can track, is exorbitant.

In the upper area you will see your private unique identification id in large letters.

The repro code:
    https://github.com/fingerprintjs/external-protocol-flooding

adamgolden likes this.
  2. adamgolden

adamgolden

I just tried (Chrome, Windows 10):
    schemeflood_test.jpg

I didn't even realize I had Spotify installed. Skype neither, but that appears to be a false positive.

3. xjjon

xjjon

Not sure it is very reliable.
    On my windows PC it says I have xcode and itunes :eek: and each browser gave different result (brave, firefox, chrome)

4. adamgolden

adamgolden

I just tried in Firefox and Edge - both said Skype and Spotify were installed and gave the same identifier, except that I already uninstalled Spotify after my previous post and [as far as I know] don't have Skype either.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

upload_2021-6-26_13-41-58.png

Using Vivaldi, based on Chromium, the site fails pretty much immediately due to its inability to access any of the resources without permission first.

adamgolden likes this.
  6. adamgolden

adamgolden

That should be the default behavior of all browsers. It's hard to believe it's not.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Mine was completely accurate. If I recall correctly Skype comes as part of Windows 10.

upload_2021-6-26_14-0-8.png

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

It's the default on Firefox too.

9. adamgolden

adamgolden

It didn't ask me in Chrome, Edge or Firefox - I don't recall ever changing settings related to this (though it's possible), plus I don't think I've updated any browser but Chrome in the last few months. Maybe I have a security setting lower than yours or something. I was interested to see if this worked because I didn't realize our applications (or some of them at least) were detectable like that, but I'm not interested enough to update my browsers and reset their settings to defaults or dig any further :p

10. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

In both Firefox and Chrome I got a popup window that flickered through a bunch of things asking for permission, but that jumped forward before I could refuse, so I don't know what exactly it was doing. I didn't get anything I could explicitly refuse. However that behavior itself would absolutely raise red flags in a real scenario.

However, this seems like the kind of thing that gets less accurate as you do it more, because you get more and more users with the same set of installed applications (unless I'm misunderstanding how it works). Though of course they could have far more applications in their database.

I also got the Skype thing, even though it doesn't show up in Programs and Features (or the new "Apps" menu in the Windows 10 Settings).

I'd like to see a histogram of their results. On Ghost I got Skype, vscode, Epic Games, and Steam and it claimed my results were only seen in 70 of 66255 tests. Of those vscode might be slightly unique but I can imagine plenty of PCs having the others (especially Skype, if it's embedded in Windows somehow).

11. adamgolden

adamgolden

I got a little square popup window flickering through each at the bottom right of my screen, but I couldn't see the content in it (was too small and didn't bother resizing it), just assumed it was part of the detection script.. and yeah, it would definitely look suspicious on any website [other than that one], reminds me of the days when you'd click a link and 10 windows would open up, and closing one just opened more :D

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unrelated to Unity or game development. Closed.

adamgolden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.