Search Unity

Question The feasibility of VR Project that shows receiving rendered image from outside in to a RenderTexture

Discussion in 'VR' started by alirezakhaan, Apr 28, 2021.

1. alirezakhaan

alirezakhaan

Hi, does anyone here have a history of working with VR on PC?
    I have a question about the technical feasibility of an idea.
    In fact, I want to know if it is possible to define a VR project that receives the rendered image from outside the game (for example, through a socket) and displays it in the headset? And vice versa, send the head tracking input through the socket to outside of the game?
    In fact, in this project, both software (rendering and VR) should be run on one PC therefore there is no latency for sending and receiving data. I am a unity developer but I never worked with a VR device so I have no idea for the feasibility of this project.
    I know that its quiet possible and easy to do this among multiple instance of running unity project on the same PC , but I want to know that is it possible to run a PC version of a game and send Rendered Texture on socket and receive in VR Heaset ?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

A PC VR headset is little more than another monitor attached to your PC. If you can get what you describe working on a regular monitor, it will work just the same in VR.

3. alirezakhaan

alirezakhaan

Thanks for the clear answer to how can I imagine what a VR Headset does. Now I figured out that a PC VR application runs on PC and can communicate with other apps on the same PC. So I can get some data from socket and send it to my VR application and vice versa I can send back some data in response of that to other apps through socket.
    I hope I had got the point correctly , Thanks for your help.