Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Evil Game, Greenlight

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by HellSpawnGames, Dec 26, 2016.

1. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Hi, today was the first time I released my game to steam greenlight. It's at a very early development stage.
    The reason I did it so early is because I want my potential customers to see how actively this project is being developed.
    Please, provide all the feedback you can, it'll be greatly appreciated!

Project Link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=826372315

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKy_G3yRkW7qgr47cW4ZXKQ

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/HellSpawnDev

Patreon:
    https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4680221

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

3. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Updated HUD, character screen and player model!

4. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

This looks like it could be amazing once fully developed. BUT I don't think Steam Greenlight was the best place to put it. It can be hard waiting to put your game out on Steam GL, but you'll need to develop more. That being said, I won't just sit here and say "develop more" without my actual critic.

1. Graphics look bad. Not outright bad because of quality, but bad as in not used correctly. It looks cobbled together from different sources for a dev build. At this stage, I don't think you meant to release it in this state. Eventually you must pick a style (realistic, cartoon, low-poly) and stick with it. On a positive note, the HUD looks good.

2. Gameplay looks lacking. Combat with the enemy looks boring and the maps look too large. Consider designing a first level that allows you to easily kill villagers, is small and quick to teach the player, and is satisfying to finish. This may sound weird, but make it satisfying to kill villagers before you add challenge such as villagers that dodge attacks or fight back.
    Look at games like Gauntlet where enemies are "easy and enjoyable" to kill but the challenge comes when there are hordes and you don't pay attention to enemy attacks.

Anyhow, I'll be watching this thread and would love to help test this when you release early builds.
    (Also, don't bother with Patreon or Kickstarter. People will be highly unlikely to give for something this early in development.)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

@PenguinEmporium Thank you very much for the feedback!

I don't mean it to pass the voting until I make enough progress, I'm totally fine with it sitting there on greenlight. Eventually, after a few updates, people will (probably? hopefully?) change negative votes to positive. So far it's not doing too badly votes-wise. I don't want it to get actually released in its current state and get buried under negative reviews. Negative reviews actually mean something, votes don't.

As for the large maps, that's how I want it. It's semi-open world. Your goal on each level is to take down the main fortress. But since the main fortress is protected by strong enemies, it's near impossible to take it unless you level up your character by wiping out smaller villages. So, the maps are sort of meant to be spacey.

As for the graphics, the style is supposed to be realistic. Realistic blood, gore, environments, characters etc. I'm not putting anything cartoony in the game (I already replaced peasant and guard models, screenshots will be soon, and a new video)

Thanks!

6. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

@HellSpawnGames Can't wait to see!

I'm not necessarily against the open world aspect, but I find the extra open space rather awkward. Probably best to have roads and pathways from the major battle areas/villages so you can create hidden loading zones.

7. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

@PenguinEmporium

Well I do realize that there IS an inconvenience in traveling around the map, and in a game like this it's nothing but an inconvenience: you can't really find anything if you explore, it's not a classic RPG like Skyrim where you could find new places or stashes.
    But nonetheless, I want to stick to that concept (multiple towns on 1 map), maybe I'll make the maps smaller and distances between towns shorter, or take a different approach in how I design those levels (I was considering floating islands as an option... we'll see)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  8. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

I got an idea. Between towns, in the wild areas, are magic creatures that were summoned to protect humans. They can be killed for extra XP. Also, some levels could have small fortresses with magic towers in them. If you destroy such tower, all creatures will vanish (in case if they are strong and actually can slow down your progress on the level)

This could make traveling between towns less pointless.

9. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

On the second thought, it's probably better to go with small levels, since they take less time to build and are easier to optimize. I could make transitions between levels such that there won't be no need to switch to the world map. So I'm taking this path for now.

10. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

[UPDATE] Alpha 0.01.2

Changes:

-First game level re-designed
    -New models and animations for ALL game characters
    -New blood and gore VFX
    -Updated UI, HUD
    -Updated Skill Tree
    -Updated AI for all NPCs
    -Minor audio changes

PenguinEmporium likes this.
  11. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Looks better and the gameplay looks improved. One thing I noticed was the player snapped to whatever direction was pressed. I don't know a good way to fix it but I'm sure you can find something.

12. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

I think the best and fastest way would be to interpolate rotation instead of just setting it directly to input direction, this really isn't a big deal. Do you think I need multiple game levels for people to consider buying the game?

I'm currently deciding between adding more levels and adding more characters. My ideas for characters are: giant worm (destroying buildings), flying monster.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  13. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

I'd say start small. Take what you have and polish it and let people test it. If they like it, consider adding more to it. If not, simply finish the game up with a menu and stuff and release it as a free game on itch.io or something. Having a small complete game under your belt is more important than selling a game.

Edit: If you choose to add more, add levels first and design around the player's abilities. Don't let a player's abilities go to waste.

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Penguin has given some great advice.
    I'd only add - consider filling in the areas (regardless of size of map) with interesting stuff. Animated stuff, fx, events and actions, things the players see as cool/interesting as they traverse the map. Of course if the map is larger - more interesting stuff will be needed to fill in the dead spaces.

I understand your logic for greenlighting quickly - though I think it's unwise (steam is fickle and doesn't change there minds easily).
    Try real hard not to come across as desperately seeking money. This is probably not your intention (or maybe it is) if it isn't - the presentation of quick to greenlight and patreon, and sign up date appears from the outside to be that you are looking for a quick turn around and quick pay out. Not to say you will develop something and get the cash and roll onto something else. Just seems a little rushed from an outside perspective. If not known already - usually game development isn't something that can be rushed successfully - without making consolations to certain aspects of the game and neglecting areas that can be overlooked for speed purposes like game jams and 1 game a week type cycles.

What happens when you hit a development area that requires you to slow down and focus on a solution or several solutions until you find the right one, or when setting up lighting for the world requires constant iteration for weeks until it look great? Are you going to put in the needed iterations and time requirement - or will you overlook aspects of the game to - get it out the door to earn money as fast as you can? Don't forget about testing and bugs that will need time commitment before releasing.

Just wanted to give an outside perspective on how it looks -

Or maybe you just want to develop a game as fast as you can with feedback from a "fickle" community. :confused:

15. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

I'm fine with it taking time to develop, I just need to get it to early access. I'm limited on budget so I either have to rely on money from people who buy it in EA or patreon. That's why I'm rushing with the first stage, the game needs to quickly become worth it for people to buy and/or follow on steam.

So, as for graphics/UI, I think it looks good enough for now? I guess it's time to focus on gameplay mechanics.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  16. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Also, as for rushed/not rushed, why go slow? Regardless to whether I need money or not, what's wrong with development going fast and productive? I understand how it looks from outside, but only if you ignore the possibility that it's not just for a cash grab. Once again, I am doing this for money, but I'm not going to abandon the project half way through. I actually want to make a good game people will like.

17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I wasn't suggesting to slow down development for the sake of appearing less money focused. I was suggesting to reflect on this desire to rush for the sake of getting money, and what will happen when the development itself requires you to slow down.
    Rushing through development as fast as one can for an external reason (money) tends to result in a bug riddled mess, or the developer loosing motivation and focus, deciding to drop the project and work on something else. And this cycle tends to repeat itself, over and over.

What would a person be more willing to purchase, something that was rushed and early to market, or something that was created with controlled time investment (not rushed) and released later?
    The first commodity will be less polished, maybe even buggy, but available sooner. The second commodity will be a better product but available later.
    Soon to market is only worth someones money if it is unique and there aren't any other superior products in the store. Anyway -

I wish you luck with your game.

18. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Well, I'm only rushing to enter the stage where it'll be playable and worth some money. Then after that point, the development will go on, all while being funded by people purchasing it in early access and donating on patreon.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Right now I'm adding the second level to the game, and a way to travel back and forth between levels.
    I also added minimap, local world map, and a world map (it's an empty image for now, but I'll fix it soon. World map displays game levels as markers).
    I also got some background story and plot ideas, but I don't really know how to put those into the game in any form other than text. No resources for comics/trailers yet.

19. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Updated HUD!
    The hint thingy shows what key to press to do certain actions (like, when you can interact with something etc)
    The town info (population and number of buildings) is only shown when you're within a settlement.
    (the first screenshot was not taken from playmode, just to show all HUD elements at once)
    Feedback please!

Imawdfwfge 5.png Imagewfwfwf 4.png

20. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Also, now when you cleared the level, a hellgate rises from under ground. Interacting with it will bring up the world map with unlocked marker for the next level. The world map part isn't implemented yet (mostly for the lack of image...). Do you think this is a good way to handle this?

Imagfwfw2e 6.png

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  21. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

I actually like the idea of the hell-gate. May need some visual tweaks such as the smoke and lighting. I think the smoke needs to come out of the cave rather than fill the ground and the cave should be dark so the player can't see inside.

Also, the HUD is looking better It's informative and I think the project as a whole is doing well so far. Keep at it!

22. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Thanks.
    So I'm thinking how to handle the ability to travel back and replay previous levels (for example, if the next level is too hard and you need to level up your character some more). For now the only idea I had that made sense was to add a "Replay mission" button to pause menu, which opens up the world map (basically, acts like a hell gate, but without unlocking the next level). Or maybe just allow to travel between levels at any time, using the world map? And using the hell gate only unlocks the next level?

EDIT:
    I think the best design would be to have the hell gate on the level at all times. It doesn't rise from the under ground, it's just always there. But it only allows you to travel to the next level after you cleared out the current one. It also makes more sense that you arrived through a hell gate, and weren't just some regular lucky skeleton who crawled out of his grave. The graveyard is only for summoning NPC skeletons.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  23. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

[UPDATE 0.01.3]
    -World map
    -Multiple levels
    -Hell gates
    -Game progression
    -Level objectives
    -HUD / UI Changes
    -Bug fixes

24. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Little update:
    Changed the name to "The Evil Crusade"
    I think it sounds better, and now that I got some backstory/plot, it makes more sense.

25. MerryChristmas

MerryChristmas

Spooky skeletons, looks fun. Watching thread. Evil Crusade or Evil Game are both fine names.

26. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Thanks!
    Some arty progress:

Banner:

Loading screen:

Imafwfwfwfge 11.png

Happy New Year to Everyone!

27. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Everything looks like it's progressing nicely. One thing I can critique is the sound mixing. The fire sound effect is way to loud.

Also consider the lighting. It's hard to see properly in some areas. Granted, you may want it dark, but give enough contrast between what you want the player to see (such as their character and where they're going) versus the background detail.

Keep up the good work.

28. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Yes, I noticed that loud noise too but a bit too late, wasn't paying much attention when recording the vid. I already tweaked it down and will make a new vid soon. I also think the videos are a bit lacking in video quality, not quite sure what it is though.
    EDIT: I might release a free demo next week If it keep up the pace.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  29. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Quality may be due to filming in the editor. Try creating a build of the game and recording that instead. The resolution should be better.

30. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Updated the vid

31. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Ok, I've been working on several things lately: Jump, sprint, and 3 special abilities.
    I also updated AI and added some effects.
    All I need to finish this milestone is to add a loading screen.
    There will be an update soon!

32. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Actually, here's a sneak peak to a little bit of what's been done.

33. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

The 0.01.4 update is pretty much done but I'm struggling with one thing: I don't think that a world map really belongs in this game. I added a "lobby" level (a safe area with just 1 hell gate) from where you can travel to other locations and back. But I'm not sure if the world map is really necessary. Perhaps instead of 1 gate + world map, multiple gates would be better? (1 gate for each location). I want sandbox gameplay but without large/procedural world, a few hand-crafted maps with high replayability is my goal.

34. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Ok, I came up with something.
    There's one hellgate at the end of each level. Path to it lays through multiple human settlements. You take them down linearly. But if you die, you start the level over, no respawn. Your goal is to take down all settlements and open the hellgate in the end. Settlements that were taken transform into "dead ground" (foggy, dead-looking, etc), and heal you/replenish your energy while in them. Something among these lines.

35. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

[UPDATE 0.01.4]

Some highlights:

New:

Skeleton skills:
    -Reanimate dead,
    -Summon skeletons,
    -Rip enemy's skeleton,
    -Desecrate ground

NPCs:
    -Added new foes: aggressive peasant, spearman
    -Added new friends: zombie spearman, zombie footman, zombie peasant
    -NPCs move in formations

Game levels:
    -Re-created with new terrain system

Gameplay overall:
    -Added sprint, jump
    -Music adjusts itself to the level of chaos
    -Next level is always random (except for the ending)
    -Hellgate starts closed, and when interacted with, starts the next (random) level
    -World map is removed

Other:
    -Some UI / HUD improvements
    -Footsteps sound
    -Loading screen

A little bit of commentary:
    "Desecrate ground" skill transforms land into "dead ground", that transforms corpses into zombies (if corresponding skill is acquired) and spawns skeletons (same, also only near a graveyard). I'm planning to add more to it. Dead ground will regenerate player's health/energy, spawn flying demons, and more.
    "Summon skeletons" and "Reanimate dead" are passive skills and they only affect the dead ground.

Ok, I guess that's about it, I'm tired and could've missed something.

PenguinEmporium and Hikiko66 like this.
  36. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Bumping for feedback

37. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Redesigning the skill tree:

PenguinEmporium and Hikiko66 like this.
  38. xavia91

xavia91

The sounds your army makes are somewhat annoying, maybe reduce the amount of grunting. Also in battle there doesn't have to be a "swush" sound to every swing of a weapon, I think a impact/hit sound would be sufficient.

The fight scenes are a little to hectic for my taste, maybe slow down the attack speed a little and (if not already implemented) allow to scroll out a little more to increase the overview for the player.

Good thing you replaced the summoning, the early version made me laugh, that didn't fit ;) You are making good progress, keep it up!

HellSpawnGames likes this.
  39. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Ok thanks, my next update will add more skills to the "Overlord" branch (the one with the crown, the summoner), I'm now dividing branches into 2 sub branches: siege and assault. 1st is for indirect combat (desecrating ground, destroying buildings, making zombies, etc), 2nd is for actual fights (skills like ripping skeleton out, breaking bones, etc, directed at enemies).

Also, I'll make it so there's variations for each animation (multiple deaths, multiple sword swings, etc), and maybe refine combat a bit (it's meant to be fast-paced, but for now it looks a little too primitive)

40. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Was going to mention this - but you did so I don't have too. Agree - solid progress HellSpawn! Keep at it.

41. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

The skill tree design got me overthinking a lot, I want simplicity & elegance in UI but at the same time there might not be a way to position the skill icons nicely on that particular shape,which is often a subject of changes, so its design needs to be flexible and easily changeable. Perhaps smth more chaotic and less geometrical would work better, will see.

42. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Like, this game is more action than RPG, it's not about grinding for skill points, so really there's no need for a complex character progression system, hence the design choice: it needs to be simple & light, not to distract player from action. Maybe the skill tree I have is already more complex than it should be (the siege and assault sub-branches... idk if that extra layer of categorizing skills was all that necessary, although the whole gameplay is built around the "kill all garrison or destroy the building" duality)

43. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Maybe there should be no skill tree at all, instead player unlocks new abilities by completing certain optional tasks (the same way it'll work for unlocking new characters, you'll have to release them from fortresses-prisons, which won't be required for completing the level)

44. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Next update is coming soon!

45. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Just going through the hardship of building the skill tree right now.
    Can't make up my mind on how to arrange the icons (I'm yet to add more btw).
    Imagsasae 5.png

46. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

I used the triad shape for the one on the right because if I arrange them the same way as that in the middle, here's what happens:
    Imadssdge 6.png
    It becomes counter-intuitive. It looks like you need to get the 3 sub-skills that lie in between, while reality is different.

sfssddff likes this.
  47. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

This design makes more sense and actually works visually. To get to the next major perk, you need to complete at least one path of minor ones.
    Imaasdasdasdwge 8.png

48. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

A little peek into the next update...

Imagefsfsfs 29.png

49. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Ok this next update is taking a bit too long because I decided it to be the last one before I release the game to Early Access, I've made a lot of substantial changes and course adjustments that hopefully won't be received negatively (it's now pretty different to what I originally presented, hence the concern).

50. HellSpawnGames

HellSpawnGames

Some field tests Image asdasds7.png