Search Unity

The editor layout could not be fully loaded - REALLY no way to fix this?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zeropointblack, Jan 22, 2021.

1. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

hi,

yes, the dreaded "The editor layout could not be fully loaded, this can happen when the layout contains EditorWindows not available in this project" error.

its been about a year, im going to try fixing this again. any takers?

ive often tried resetting the layout, works for 5 minutes.

i realize its probably from some STUPID 3rd party crap i had installed back in my "ooo whats that, put it in my project, ASAP!" days. but i cant take it anymore. and ive learned better.

so is there ANY way to find what Unity is looking for and DELETE it?!? or is there really a real problem?

p.s. i can see in the window menu drop down where it shows the list of all panels, it says failed to load twice. there must be a way to find what its referencing, and delete it. right?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Put your project under source control if it isn't already, then start nuking all that random third party stuff. Look particularly for stuff in or under folders called
    Editor
    . If you don't need it, nuke it. Something is probably popping up a window or using some outdated API against the editor.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

this is mostly stuff within the packages folder, correct? believe it or not, ive since removed a lot of junk from my project.
    this is all i have left right now:

packages list 1.png

the stuff in the assets folder doesnt seem like it has anything special in there, that i know of anyway. i dont really know what to look for. but most of it seems like just normal assets.

the packages folder, i use visual studio code, should i REMOVE the regular visual studio editor package? could that be something? i dont really use it. i prefer VSCode. i mean i have regular installed. anyway, probably not it.

other than that, not too sure. it looks like everything left over is stuff i use and is in the project. so there must be something else somewhere not from packages, right?

like for example, could it be trying to open an old shader graph or something like that? how would we go about cleansing the project of something like this? there has to be a file somewhere with a list referencing stuff like this, right? which for some reason doesnt last to long when the layout is cleared... So like you are saying, something is trying to start up again?

packages list 2.png

4. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

packages list 3.png packages list 4.png

i reset the layout. this error is new, but probably because its a newer unity from when ive tried this before.

but it shows they are not in the panels menu at least anyway.

will report back if they return again.

EDIT:

hm. believe it or not, the errors have not returned since resetting the layout, restarting unity a few times, entering playmode. etc etc. this was not the case before. so either they changed something in the updated unity to take care of this, or when i cleaned out my project last month, all the more it needed was a layout reset.

will update if errors return, with hopefully some way to pinpoint why.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  5. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

packages list 5.png

lmao. this happened for trying to move the preview window pane to a docked location.

the other thing still seems ok though. man, unity is too buggy.

edit: the two missing window errors have returned. damn.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

An "Editor" folder could be placed anywhere in the Assets folder, any of their sub folders, etc. If @Kurt-Dekker is correct about an editor script, my suspicion would actually be from 3rd party assets, for example from the Assets Store. Especially ones which haven't received a 2020.2.x update (or at least one you haven't applied).