Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The Download Assistant is broken 5.3.0b1

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by Zenix, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Zenix

Zenix

The 'Next' button on the License Agreement screen is grayed out and unclickable. I can't progress past this point.

2. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Which platform? Did you scroll down the agreement?

3. Zenix

Zenix

Uh, just tried again and today it's working... weird.

Can I ask though, are you still going to offer a full download on release of 5.3? It would be really annoying if we were forced to use the download assistant.

4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We're trying to modularize to make downloads smaller for folk that don't want everything.

You can download the various component parts, but the DA is the easiest way to pick them all out...

5. AVOlight

AVOlight

Glad this is in, makes sense from lots of angles

6. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Small request: Please consider having the Windows module as one of the default checks. It took me quite awhile to figure out why I couldn't build, then more time to search for the reason for it and reinstall it with the correct module. You have to scroll down to see it in the download assistant, so it's not obvious that it won't be included by default.

7. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

As a side question, is there also finally an option in the DA for choosing wether to install monodevelop too? I know that in the seperate editor installer there was an option available, but in the DA this option wasn't prompted. I am not a beta tester so I can't try it myself

8. Zenix

Zenix

That sounds horrible... The way it works now just make sense, we download a single file and install it on every machine we need to.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We've since updated the list (though I forget b2 or b3) where Windows installers will have the windows player support installed by default, and similarly the Mac support will be default on the Mac installer.

10. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Thanks, Alex. I see it in b2.

11. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Except it's already not if you want certain other platforms.
    We were getting plenty of feedback to modularize and minimize downloads, and we're seeing a bit of feedback already supporting the move.

We however, do want to still make it convenient for those needing the single pass download - so there's work for us to do to make this pathway easier. No promises on when that occurs, but please do note it's on our radar.

12. Zenix

Zenix

People don't tend to complain about things that aren't broken... The download assistant obviously won't work as an option, because it's going to force every team member and every build machine to have to download the editor - so instead of once nice 1.5gb(ish) download, we now get 1gb(ish?) * number of computers.

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

How so? The download assistant allows you to download the installers to a folder of your choice if you want to instead of into a temporary directory. You can still download only once if you want to.

14. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Sure, the DA isn't the solution we're suggesting for getting a mass deployment done.

The various component installers already exist that can be automated/command line installed.
    It's just getting the link set out for the time being, or making it easy to download what you want.