Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

The Display Resolution Dialogue has been deprecated and will be removed in a future version

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Magasenakwa, May 1, 2019.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Its pretty bad as an artist that I have to code my own menu now for something that used to work just fine for quick build testing.

Please just bring it back. Thank you

And yes I work on a Mac, and unity made my life more difficult not easier.

2. castor76

castor76

When feature such as this got "removed" we should be ale to see and understand the reason behind its removal.
    Was there such statement anywhere? Where was the supposed "More information about the evolution of the Display Resolution Dialog will be shared in the near future." ?? Have I missed anything? The launcher sample mentioned above.. is that the "official" way to do the launcher dialog now? If so, I don't mind. I just don't like the fact that it seems like it was removed completely without official proper explanation or future plan from Uniy.

3. Newbhope

Newbhope

Is it harmful to keep this dialog in? It's going to be so much harder for me to let users configure controls on different controllers now

4. abbapamela

abbapamela

Unity Technologies

5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm not sure if removing it is really helping anybody, I just don't see any reason why it was on top of the priority list. there are so many other things that need improving before actually taking things out that worked just fine.

sorry for the rant but the removal of this is costing me dev time I could spend on prototyping. I won't mention it again in the future but at least know that not every user was taking out the dialog box.

twitchfactor likes this.
  6. MattDavis

MattDavis

Just want to add to the group that found this option useful.

Sometimes I will create a prototype of something simple, like character controls, and send a build to a friend for feedback. No menus or game progression. Having to implement a resolution menu as the first task in every prototype seems like a huge hassle.

7. cshovan_nawctsd

cshovan_nawctsd

It was a great debugging tool. you could set a bunch of quality settings and not have to roll any kinda settings UI. Cant we have it in development build and not release?

Lars-Steenhoff and Twyker_gp like this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

They would only remove it if it was in the way of some future development work. When Unity just doesn't want to support something they typically deprecate it but leave it in until they have some reason it must be removed. There would be no point in leaving it in for one kind of build but arbitrarily disable it for another.

9. newnon

newnon

I made i little bit simpler solution https://github.com/newnon/UnityScreenSelector it is also only for windows but you can only copy ScreenSelectorExaple/Assets/ScreenSelector folder on any place inside assets folder and it will create file named ScreenSelector.exe near you game exe file

[Mod edit: removed link to executable.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2020
  10. Triggles

Triggles

Add me to the list of people that think this is silly. With no replacement, I now have to spend time creating an alternative for my, until now, relatively simple game.

twitchfactor and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  11. Ainulindale

Ainulindale

Removing the built-in Configuration Dialog a.k.a. Display Resolution Dialog a.k.a. Screen Selector FEATURE is one of the dumbest things Unity has done recently. Who wants to spend time in early development to find or implement that FEATURE yourself instead of just using the built-in timesaver?

Here I was happy that Unity finally added the most basic thing into their editor (being able to lock GameObjects so you don't accidentally move them in the scene view) and then you remove the super useful FEATURE because... why exactly?

"Based on user data and customer research, we found out that it is one of the first things the vast majority of our developers disable when building their standalone players, and it frequently goes unused". So basically some people simply didn't like to see that dialog on indie games? Who cares. Add the FEATURE back please.

Notice how I emphasize FEATURE several times because that's what you've removed. For nothing. I don't get it. Why does it even matter if it goes unused in the final product, it's a fantastic tool to have during development. As a built-in!

Also my gut feeling tells me those "vast majority of our developers" doesn't include the thousands of people that pump out games during weekend game jams every year. I certainly wasn't interviewed. It was not uncommon to see the built-in resolution selector shipped with the final product in those games. A feature we are now deprived.

TL;DR I can't see how removing the dialog in any way, shape or form is a net positive. Leaving it built-in but being disabled by default wouldn't have hurt anybody. Rather than removing it the more sensible thing would have been to improve the launcher and make it fully customizable. Lots of AAA titles have launchers, they just don't all look the same.

gesicht, zwcloud, codegasm and 3 others like this.
  12. OreoSplitter

OreoSplitter

So pissed off I have to dick around creating something that used to exist. Thanks Unity :}

13. LaneMax

LaneMax

wow yeah this is pretty crappy...

14. zenasprime

zenasprime

This is a strange deprecation. Yeah it wasn't elegant but it was a handy accessibility feature for folks who needed to configure custom controllers. I guess it was someone's pet peeve over at Unity and they finally found a chance to nix it.

AL_W and SteffenItterheim like this.
  15. SteffenItterheim

SteffenItterheim

16. AL_W

AL_W

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  17. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Well I just updated from 2018.4 to 2019.3 and now I can't bind any control inputs, since I'm still on legacy input manager. Is there an alternative way to bind inputs until I'm able to make the switch to the new input system?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  18. kloot

kloot

So in 2019.4, the Display Resolution Dialog is no longer visible under the Project Settings->Player->Resolution and presentation->Standalone Player Options...

This was a great tool during development, any way to get it back?

CatDoge likes this.
  19. petersvp

petersvp

Yes, there is. Implement your own config menu and use Input.GetKey seriesof API instead of the default ones.
    For gamepads just use Xinput dot net as unity's gamepad support was never existing.

20. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Input.GetKey doesn't work for Joystick inputs as you know. Switching to using XInput would be just as much work as switching to the new Input System. I was more along the lines wondering if there was a temporary way to get the Input binding dialog back. I guess I'll just stay on 2018 in the meantime until I can work out a solution.

21. kris8360

kris8360

This is crazy...

I recently switched to HDRP and 2019.4, all I have been doing is wasting my time... Nothing works properly, can't use grab pass and specular on my shaders, I have to research for hours to change something, and now even the screen resolution dialog is removed too..

Why not leave the option to enable it? It would come in handy for testing and in the final build, I just turn it off, instead of writing everything from scratch and wasting my time... What happened with quick iterations? I love unity, I have been using it for 7 years now but come on, these changes are starting to piss me off.

22. Wolfram

Wolfram

Note that there are PlayerSettings that can help you now, especially during development for quick testing:
    "Allow Fullcreen Switch" (=toggle with Alt-Return from within the app) and "Resizable Window".
    You can even use this to change the display the app uses for fullscreen (=Alt-Return to enter windowed mode, drag window to different display, Alt-Return to re-enter fullscreen mode...)

Be aware that Unity stores many launch settings hidden away in the registry, so if you use the command line parameters to modify the launch defaults, Unity will store this and from now on ALWAYS use these, meaning even without the parameters your app may now no longer launch in the way you built it.

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

for mac there is still no good solution, and unity does not see this as a priority anymore, and just thinks we all program a resolution dialog first when we start to make a game. that's just not realistic for a solo dev

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    joshcamas likes this.
  24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

you could have left the one that was working in there, now we have nothing.

unityunity