Search Unity

The "Dinky Dungeon Tileset" - Medieval / RPG / MMO Assets - RELEASED !

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by phex, May 20, 2011.

1. phex

phex

The Dinky Dungeon Tileset

-----

Finally i did it, the Update is released.

BUY IT ON THE ASSETSTORE

$ 50

- 19 new rooms
    - 25 new interior models, like banners, chests and more
    - 30+ items, like books, foods, weapons and more

OUT ON ALL STORES NOW !

To have a quick look of whats new:

3d-operators.de

Hope you all enjoy it.

Don´t miss the Dinky Dungeon Level Generator by Vertex Stream

-----

$DinkyDungeon_06.jpg $DinkyDungeon_15.jpg

Game Ready medieval / RPG / MMO tileset.
    Low polycount only 150 - 1100 tris per tile.

Available as unitypackage.
    Just import into Unity and start building your own dungeon.

Comes with a bunch of interior assets like animated doors and crates,
    tables, stools, shelfs, barrels and some more crates.

Works for FPS and 3rd person games.
    (Rounded ceiling is included for FPS)

Our well known little Worker has visited my dungeon tileset and took some photos of his journey.
    Lets follow him and see what he found. Click here and have fun.

Independent and commercial license available

Indie $49 | Commercial $99

You can buy it on GamePrefabs
    GamePrefabs.com

on the Assetstore

or on turbosquid.

Indie Version on Turbosquid

Commercial Version on Turbosquid

Thanks for buying.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. phex

phex

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. phex

phex

bump

4. phex

phex

5. phex

phex

6. Darloc

Darloc

It is looking great Phex I am impressed so how many tiles does it include?

7. phex

phex

I´m working on a full (visual) list of all tiles and props right now.
    Coming in a few hours...

8. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

That's neat. Couple of minor things that I think could improve the quality of the tiles:

1. Some fake AO at the floor edges and corners, to make it feel a bit more 3D.
    2. Much more color variation. While everything looks fairly realistic, objects aren't strongly differentiated enough yet, and a lot of the assets blend in to the walls and floors too much.

9. phex

phex

Most people want to know what exactly is in the package. My Answer - Everything you can see :)

But here is a complete (visual) list of the contents:

http://3d-operators.de/overview.html

10. phex

phex

11. Josh_Amsterdam

Josh_Amsterdam

It looks very nice! One small thing I would change is that door always open away from you, because when they open towards you and you don't slow down you'll go through them. An other thing I was wondering, are the meshes of the tiles combined?

12. phex

phex

Hi Josh, thats all things the coder has to do on his own.
    I´m not selling a scriptpack and i´m not a good coder at all.
    I don´t even know how to combine the meshes :)

So this is only a bad coded demo of my art assets.

13. Josh_Amsterdam

Josh_Amsterdam

To be honest it is something I think that should be included in the package. You mentioned somewhere that the character has more verts then the level, but the character is a single mesh and level is loads of meshes. Just read the first paragraph of the part titled "In Detail:" here: (http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Optimizing Graphics Performance.html). Combining the meshes is not a complicated thing to do. As you said, the tiles are 150-1100 tris each. If you combine all the 150-ish ones they would influence the graphics performance by a factor ten less.

If I were you I'd at least look in to it, because if done correctly the level will indeed be as small as the character while now it's probably 10 times bigger in overhead costs :p. This is not critique, by the way - I love how the package looks - it's just some advice. :)

14. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

is it possible to have a flat ceilling? Is it possible to have a room with windows?

15. phex

phex

As i said before, this is part of coding, of the game engine.
    Not the work a 3d artist has to do. Sorry but i can not script
    a single line of code for something like that.

16. phex

phex

No, not at the moment. Maybe as an AddOn pack later.

hmm, this will be a different tileset than :)

btw, i´ve played a lot "dungeon games" and never see a window in one of them.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  17. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

I need a circular room, 6 meter diameter, same texture of you package, with 2 windows each side, and a door. Can you do that as a custom work? it will be integrated with this pack. I

18. phex

phex

Yes, i can do something like that. But the windows will only have a texture and you can not look outside.
    This dungeon is not made to be included in outside areas. And i´m really not sure if someone else will need
    this special tile.

But i can make it as a custom work for you. How much will you pay for it ?

19. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

I sent a PM.

20. unity3dx

unity3dx

I think you should improve and add things to this excellent Asset, so that it becomes the ultimate Dongeon pack. With time, you will attract more and more customers. I would love to see it becoming the first full level for Unity, so that people can train and play inside it, out from the box.

21. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Awesome, Phex! You did a really great job!

22. phex

phex

Yes, i have a lot of ideas to extend this. Some things will added as a free update.
    Some other stuff will be (cheap) addons.

23. phex

phex

thank you very much.

24. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

Just bought.

25. danreid70

danreid70

Just purchased, and want to make sure I got the latest version - I also imported the bugfix. After importing both unity packages, I loaded the demo-scene:the doors and crates are scaled too large (they're larger than the rooms - see attached screenshot). Not sure if I needed the bugfix - maybe that messed up the scaling?

If there's a second bugfix that I missed, please let me know.

Aside from that (I can scale the prefabs myself, if need be, but I like to have everything all packaged neatly so any changes I make to the original files don't get over-written by later bug-fixes, if that makes sense? So I don't have to unfix my fixes)...

I'm working on creating a dungeon randomizer, and this tileset was EXACTLY what I needed! Small, clean, block sized pieces that I can create prefab blocks out of, and spawn/spread out the blocks using some code I'm working on. If it all comes together nicely, I'll send you a link to see what I've done.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! I'm a horrible modeler with very little experience on the graphics/animation end, so finding great assets like this totally makes my day! I LOVE it!

Would love to see some more add-ons that snap-fit together with this tileset for even more variety (larger rooms, more stairs, some more decorations and such to liven it all up) - but definitely keep the same look/feel/scale, etc, so they can all snap together seamlessly - makes it sooo much easier on us non-graphical-coder types... :) Especially for dynamically building levels! If you keep making them, I'll keep buying them! I'm sure there are many others out there that feel the same and appreciate your work! :)

Anyway. Sorry for typing so much - I tend to ramble... :)

Attached Files:

26. phex

phex

Hi dan,

i really dont know what happend to the doors and crates. but it looks like only the animated models are scaled wrong. I used OBJ format for static objects and FBX for animated models. Please look into the meshdata folder and check scale of the fbx importer settings. For FBX it should be 0,1.

My Betatester hasn´t scale problems.

Any other customer with the same problems ?

Edit:
    What unity version do you use ?
    I made this with v3.2

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  27. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

It's ok for me here.

28. Hans

Hans

I get this as well using, Pro 3.3, win7 32 bit

29. phex

phex

Could you please add what version you use and what OS Windows/MacOS ?

30. phex

phex

Just imported the package and the bugfix in Unity 3.3 (free version) on my Laptop with WinXP.

I have no scaling problems.

Maybe some other assetpacks or plugins that affect fbx models ?

31. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

I bought today from gameprefabs.com. Do i need the bugfix?

32. phex

phex

As i can not reproduce the error i can not fix it.
    But its not a big problem, only a wrong scale factor.

Open the folder meshdata and check the scale faktor of the
    fbx importer on the following models:

DoorIronGate
    DoorWood
    DoorWood2
    UseCrate2
    UseCrate2
    UseCrate3
    UseCrate4

33. phex

phex

yes, i found no time today for version update

34. danreid70

danreid70

Hmm. I'm trying to change the scales of those listed meshes (FBX import), but for some reason, even when I change their Mesh/Scale Factor to "0.1" then click Update, they reset back to "0.4"... Am I doing something wrong? It's obviously those specific meshes, but I can't seem to manually change their scaling... Do I have a bad version of the unity package? Is there a newer one? I just downloaded this morning from GamePrefabs, so I assume it's the newest...?

3.3.0f4 (63135) on Windows XP - Never had scaling issues before with anything. Just wanting to get this fixed so I can put the blocks together with my dungeon generator. Anyone else have this happening to them? And if you fixed it, how'd you do it?

35. phex

phex

Just imported into the 30 Days Pro version - everything is fine, no scaling bug.

My Betatester had no problems, i have no problems, Efraim at gameprefabs had no problems
    and it works also for IndieStudio. Do you use any 3d modeling software in the background
    that may be responsible for the error ?

Can you try to import it into a fresh, empty project please ?

36. phex

phex

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  37. danreid70

danreid70

Phex, you ROCK! I never would have found this. I was trying to rescale things manually, and having messy results.

There was an editor script as part of: A-Lab Software - RapidUnity Extra Primitives (which I was going to use to build out some more modules to add to your tileset). I took that out (just moved the folder out of the project folder), restarted Unity, and reimported your tileset, and it fixed the scaling! Awesome! Thank you again for your support!

Can't wait to see what else you come up with for us!

--Dan

38. phex

phex

Perfect, than everything is fine now. And best of all - it was not my fault :)

Now you can build your dungeon generator and i´m very interested to see
    the results. Thanks for buying and be sure - there´s coming more from me.

Everyone else should hurry with purchasing, the discount on gameprefabs ends soon.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  39. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'd like to buy your art, but GamePrefabs won't let me register. It claims my name "jaimi" contains non alpha characters. If you're not getting the sales you think you should be, it's likely because their site is, well, buggy.

40. phex

phex

Thats bad for all of us. I reported it to my contact at gameprefabs.

(did you try some other name ?)

If they dont get it fixed you can buy it on turbosquid. But please
    use some of my links in the first post. Left me a few dollars more.

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

Apparently my name was just too short. They didn't specify a length, and the error message was wrong. I was able to log in and buy it with a longer user name. I hate it when developers forget about usability.

42. phex

phex

Thanks for buying anyway. Have fun with the dungeon.

43. phex

phex

I want to thank all customers for their confidence in my product.

Did you encounter any bugs or errors ? - please report.

Do you have any wishes what have to be in the "free" Update ?

I want to do some more rooms and pedestals for them.
    Maybe some (treasure) chests ?
    More Doors ?

Let me know what you want to have and i see what can be done.

44. danreid70

danreid70

Phex: I'm really liking what you've done so far! That door scaling issue I had was definitely related to another plugin, not your models. What I'd love to see:

Definitely more variety - maybe some tiles with cavernous walls instead of brick - and rounded? Tunnels?

* More "decorations" for the rooms, definitely! Treasure chests, piles of gold/gems? That sort of thing? Maybe chains on the walls or hanging from the ceilings (which would look cool in FPS or over-the-shoulder, but probably not for top down, I guess)...

I like that all the tiles are 10x10 and they all link up flawlessly. Maybe in keeping with the scaling, some 20x20 or 30x30 rooms? With doorways spaced so that the 10 unit spacing still fits together (like LEGOs).

* The only issue I'm having right now, is between the joints in the models, the engine can "see" out to the skybox, so essentially it's trying to draw everything off into the distance outside each room. So when I set my random dungeon generator to higher numbers of blocks, the framerate drops like crazy because of the leaks. Figured I'd deal with that later, maybe "fusing" the prefab meshes together so they are "water-tight"?

Here's what I'm doing with the tilesets:

I'm setting a gameobject in each doorway at a height of 0 and smack in the center of each doorway, and centering each block inside of a gameobject with the origin right in one doorway, so that the "spawners" in all but the origin doors choose a random block from the prefabs I made out of your blocks, and instantiate each during Start at each available spawn doorway. Works smoothly! And for the steps, I just moved the spawn prefab up to the same height as the upper floor. To keep blocks from curving around and instantiating on top of each other, I draw out 3 rays from each spawn door (one at the center, and one each above and below to catch blocks that might be spawned at different heights because of the stairway blocks), and make sure there is no collision. If there is one, I instantiate a door barrier instead of a room. Voilas! Instant random dungeons!!! AND, some of my prefabs have spawners which generate prefabbed AI monsters. You never know what's behind a door till you open it! :) Could be a monster or 3, or maybe a chest of gold! :)

Ironing out some kinks, then tackling the AI behaviors (and spawning/unspawning, using trigger areas to turn them on or off, so that enemies don't spawn in areas you can't even see. And unspawning only after the parent spawner is exited, and the enemies have not been visible after a certain time (so an enemy chasing you doesn't simply vanish if it's away from its spawn point, and a door closes - you'd turn around and open the door and go "where'd he go???"...) :)

Rambling again. Sorry. Only 1 more week till I start my new job, and a month after that moving out of apt and into our new house, and I've been cramming as much time into this as I can before "free/play-time" becomes scarce... :)

Just wanted to let you know what I'm doing with this awesome tile-set, and let you know that I'm QUITE happy with it! You definitely got the blocks set up cleanly (aside from the mesh leak, but I think I can work it out - or if you could make the meshes solid, I could re-import them). I'm not a modeler by any means, and these were exactly what I wanted.

Phex, keep em comin! :) As soon as I get all my kinks out, I'll send you a link. If I clean up the room spawning code, and get it "plug-n-play" ready, I could send it to you and if you like it, you could add it to your tile-set. Random generated dungeons!!! Yeah, I know - everybody and their mother is making dungeon-crawl stuff, but I think there's a very good reason: they're fun to make! :) Honestly, I gave up on thinking I can build (by myself), the next World-Of-Warcraft, or whatever, but dangit, I'm having fun building this stuff! It's become a hobby!

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi - I did not encounter any bugs (except in the website signing up, of course). I like the set. The stairs set doesn't line up vertically when you have snap set to 1 unit. It's like 1.2 units or something, I need to manually align the vertical coordinates, so it's not a real big deal.
    I would like some more rooms - Some odd shaped rooms, Like L shaped, or rooms that have two rooms to them (room within a room). Some bigger rooms, Maybe octagonal. More door types (square doors, single door, dungeon style) I would also like alternate textures - a gray style stone set perhaps.

I like your pack very much, thanks for making it.

46. phex

phex

Hi Dan,

very interesting and i love to see it. Sounds like "Neverwinter Nights" - my favorite Dungeon Game :)
    Please send me a PM with your E-Mail, i like to discuss some things with you.

47. phex

phex

@Jaimi:

Yes, i´ll make some more room variations - as i mentioned before.
    But i really have to changew the shape of the ceilings for that.
    (Not for the actual tiles, but the new ones)

48. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Hi Phex.. great pack and you did ask :) So here goes...

1) Doors open both ways so they always open away from you.
    2) Ramps to go with the stairs.
    3) Double level room to match the stairs height with a balcony round.
    4) Pillars
    5) Replacement Texture.
    6) Room with hole in floor and another room underneath again set to double height to match stairs
    7) Alter, Pedestal, Statues.
    8) Wall furniture.. like recessed archways or similar
    9) double level passageways cross with bridge over lower corridor.
    10) Curved passageways.
    11) Urn with flames on plinth so light can be in room rather than round edge in torches.

That should do it for now :)

Excellent kit though, already working it into the game.

Regards

Graham

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  49. phex

phex

Thanks Moria, but most of your wishes sounds like "The Great Dwarfenhalls Tileset" and not "The Dinky Dungeon" :)

But i´ll collect all customer suggestions and than take a look of what can be done.
    Some as a Update and maybe others will be a addon.

50. phex

phex

bump it :)