Search Unity

The Deep

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TonyNowak, Dec 25, 2011.

1. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

How It Came To Be:
    I decided to get serious with my knowledge of game making, and delve out of my comfort zone in regards to coding, etc.
    After countless nights off doodling around in MS paint I started to develop a vision. I ended up drawing a tiny little, black and white diver. I threw him on a plane, imported him into Unity, and tweaking (more like gave a makeover) to an old side-scroll-er movement script I had. In the end, I had what felt, and looked like an underwater exploration game. The controls, script, and physics were gradually refined until it actually felt like you were underwater.

At this point the game had only a black background, and a small 8-bit sprite thrown against it. I decided to get imaginative with it. In the ocean, we can only go so far into the black abyss, as a matter of fact, we've never really went any further. I decided to place this diver in that abyss. With all sorts of prehistoric sea creatures and monsters stalking him. I thought that next, he'd need a weapon...a harpoon gun. At this point, I'd pretty much sacrificed what realism there was left. I ended up with a nifty idea, and with the help of a close personal friend, got a soundtrack.

As Of Now:
    Right now, I'm in the process of making a flip character left/flip character right script so when he changes direction the graphic changes as well. After that, I want to implement a random movement system for the majority of the sea creatures. I have a few builds, but I don't quite know how to make them playable in the web player or how to host, any help would be great. :D

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I like the art :)

3. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

Very cool art style. I'll be happy to help you get a web build together and provide hosting. Send me a PM if you're serious about it.

4. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thanks guys, I didn't expect feedback right off the bat, and as always, help is appreciated.

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

PRETTY ART! i like da pixells <3

6. npsf3000

npsf3000

That's probably because we hit bottom.

Other than that minor correction, I *LOVE* what your doing. The features you currently want seem super simple and I hope you get them done and focus on building upon your idea.

If you need any help ping me - especially if you are closer to having a full game realized.

7. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

If any help would be needed it'd be in the code department as I'm just learning as I go.

8. TehWut

TehWut

This is looking really good, the Art style is amazing!! Usually I just give support, but this unique project is quite interesting.

9. Burkenstein77

Burkenstein77

Hopefully you will learn allot from this in regards to coding. The art does look great, and It's awesome to see such unique ideas out there!
    Good luck.

10. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thank you.

11. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

The easiest way to show us a webplayer is probably using dropbox. You upload the file, the you post the web link here.

The easiest way to publish a webplayer is by pressing Build, under Build Settings.. in the File menu.

Art looks nice!

12. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

@RPGking - I sent you another message. I'll host. Dropbox is weaksauce (but nice for a free solution of course!).

@koyima - You art is crazy awesome man!

13. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Thanks.

Of course you can buy your own hosting (godaddy.com,dreamhost.com etc) or ask someone else to host it for you.

Send me a PM, I have unlimited bandwidth and space (I pay Dreamhost).

14. ivanzu

ivanzu

Why I never get cool ideas like this one :(.

15. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I'm appreciative of all the feedback this is getting. I made a minor update to the game, including revamping some particles and generally sprucing up the background. Screens and a webplayer soon.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

This game looks soo cool :D cant wait to play it :D:D:D

17. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thank you.

18. DEADDUCKGAMES

DEADDUCKGAMES

The game Looks Really Interesting!. GoodLuck! ;D

19. TehWut

TehWut

This thread will not die!

20. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

Hey man. I sent you a PM you should really reply to! Can certainly help you out a lot!

Take care!

21. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

As promised. There is something new and contributes a bit the building plot-line. Those metal crates contain diver logs in them (already made with the help of my sound/music manager Vaise). These crates have a small red homing beacon in the middle of them. It blinks and emits a beeping sound. If you find this and interact with it, you will obtain a divers log.

My logic there is that the supplies and whatnot the divers (other divers) were send down with was lost when they went missing. I'm thinking about having the plot-line be that you must try to locate and find these divers.

You'll also note the new terrain, which isn't too shabby, but gets the job done and the vignetting (still needs work).
    I also fixed a few gravity settings which made it troublesome to maneuver the diver.

I also conceptualized a boss character, a mammoth prehistoric eel.

22. TehWut

TehWut

This is going to be the best game this year, no doubt. So genius, so innovative! god it's so awesome! what positions do you have open :3

23. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Coder, thats it. ;)
    I wouldn't make that assumption this quick in the game. ;)

24. TehWut

TehWut

Damn, I could hardly pass as a coder. Oh well. I will still be keeping a close eye on the project 0___0

25. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Appreciate it.

26. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

UPDATE

-Fixed vignette, intensified.
    -Redid terrain.
    -Added various screen effects such a god rays in places.
    -Decorated terrain with seaweed and other aquatic vegetation.

Screens soon.

27. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Bump and a bit of an update as I've been neglecting this project for sometime.

UPDATE
    -Made a small script that switches fades between gradient planes I've set up. The starting point is 0,0,0 and if your moving down for there, the gradients change color and get darker until ti finally reaches pitch black. If your moving up, it gets lighter to an extent. I haven't worked out whether to just stop the player when they reach that extent, or let them reach the surface.
    -Tweaked vignette once more.
    -Seaweed sway script thanks to a resourceful coder, seaweed sways and can be interacted with.

Screen of the gradient at 0,0,0.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  28. TehWut

TehWut

That's a really neat feature!! by chance got that boss into the game yet? ;p

29. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

No, I'm working on it though. I'm in the midst of perfecting this terrain system I know you'll love.

30. samloeschen

samloeschen

31. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I assure you it's nothing like that. I had someone else show that too me before.
    However, before that came to my knowledge, I had already began this project.

32. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

UPDATE
    - With the help of our excellent coder, we have a new tweaked and refined movement system, using velocity instead of force.
    -Terrain! It's only squares, but, when fired upon, they break into smaller squares which can then my manipulated (using RMB) and shot out to distract some of the larger sea creatures from eating you. This also opens up the possibility of procedural terrain.
    -More tweaking to perfect the gradient backgrounds.

33. gregzo

gregzo

When can we try, or see a quick vid at least??? Looks nice!

34. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Nice progress. Can't wait to see this in action.

35. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

UPDATE:

-Animation system.
    -Character flips left and right.
    -Now shoots.