Search Unity

The Creation Of Adam

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TylerPerry, Dec 26, 2011.

1. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

2. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

EnigmaFactory: Yer that is a very good way to go about it. The only thing needed in that is abit of color variation.

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm back baby :D

I was away for a few days on a holiday to Canberra to see a art exhibition from the renaissance period have a look around and have a look at hand written manuscripts wich is verry interesting :D

I will have a look at that video in a second :D

anyway i dident get much done :D but i did do this pictureframe :) i did it on a 256 to make it easy to make a nice picture in the middle (egnore the picture in the middle its placeholder art :D) not 100% as good as i would have liked but for on a bed i think its ok :) also i dont wanto take away from the picture in the middle.

$pictureframe.png

4. Salim

Salim

Nice picture frame :D

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just made a quick logo for this thread you can view it on the first post, i left the top font just as a sketch to show the creation part as in its not complete yet then as i go through the process i will update it untill once the game is done so will the logo of this thread :D

6. Duskling

Duskling

Hey titany, where did you become so good at hand painting textures? I really wan to learn how to do it, but I have no idea where to even get started.

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i just, looked at these pictures :D()niether are by me) i dident realy folowthem that much just grabed my tablet and started drawing and when i got stuck had a look at them :):

$painttut.jpg

$ericchadwick_wood_timelapse.gif

8. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

These are great! thanks titanty!

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just made some bases for rooms :D no windows or anything as they will difer on wich one :) by launch i plam ln having atleast five of each type and i plan on making them all before i continue programing, so fifteen difernt rooms quite a chalenge ;)

$middleroombase.png

$roomsidebase.png

$cornerroombase.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just updated the crossbow to make it a bit nicer(in unity the square edges looked bad on the handle) :D cant decide wether to add a scope or not, i was going to add a cross shaped cross but cant decide :) :

$crossbow3.png

11. Astero

Astero

You need to smooth the curves to make the crossbow more realistic and maybe, in my opinion, make the bolt rail more longer (behind). :)

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The curve(if your talking about the bits the string conects to) isent to bad in unity, but i will defently make the boltrail longer, it is to short, :D thanks for the feedback :D:D:D

13. TehWut

TehWut

Looking good! Keep up the good work!
    The crossbow looks good right now! I wouldn't put a scope on it if I were you, but you're the master here ;)

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Adam Is Back!, my break is over but i have loads of school work so i may not be able to work on it as much as i would like but hear is what i did today, i made a bookshelf and a candel :D and a scene :D:D:D

$ADAM IS BACK.png

15. rik338

rik338

Looking good! keep it coming.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Made an axe :D im going to make a sword next :) :

$AXEINSCENE.png

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

this was proboly the fastest asset made for the game :D just chopped the other axe in half then flipped it and all worked well :):

$AXEDUBBLE.png

18. makan

makan

Pretty nice progress i like it :)

19. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

This is really good stuff. I'm going to have look into one of these Bamboo tablets. :)

20. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Hey titanty,

I just love all the stuff you've postet :)
    but - I take your book-model as an example - you could save some polies !

Attached Files:

21. Rodesqa

Rodesqa

then he would have floating verts....which is okay but not really recommended

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

A few people have said that but at the moment it wont be a problem as the(estimated) polygon count comes well under the maximum for all targeted sytems. But if the count becomes a problem then ill be sure to fix it :D

23. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I made a chair and a stool is soon to come :D

$ChairADAM.png

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I made the stool in 7.5 minutes :D i was seeing how fast i could make an texture.

$StoolADAM.png

25. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I made a kind of test scene, its the first time ive realy had an idear of how big a level is :D its a good size i think Oh and this one room will not be used in game its just to get an idea of the size of a floor.

and im going to redo the stool, im not happy with it :(

$TestFloor.png

26. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Holy cow... just researched the monoprice tablet (#6814) and reviews are stellar there and on forums various places, stacks up around Intuos4 spec-wise but is only $48 there... glad I saw this before I opened up the Bamboo I had just ordered on a hot deal... will sell the bamboo and grab this thing. 10" by 6.25" area and hotkeys etc., it's an amazing-looking value. Sorry to veer off-topic :).

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Added a link to a web player, its just of the room so people can get a look at the assets in 3d :D i dont know if it works or not though as i still use 3.4 webplayer :( if someone could say if it works or not it would be great as it said that it will only be able to be played on my pc but i guess its just becase the public dont have the 3.5 webplayer yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52409681/ADAM/WebPlayer.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks good inside game but why don't you make normal maps?

29. Acumen

Acumen

Can't play it. First had an old version, then installed the new one. Still getting an error.
    "Unity Web Player update finished, but installed revision (3428003) is less than required revision (3506006). Pleast reinstall."

Did that a couple of times, but gave up now. All other webplayer demos/games work fine for me, though.

Not everything needs a normal map...Handpainted diffuse only is a well-acknowledged design decision :)

30. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

@triomferus - Glad to help! I'm very happy with this pad. No complaints at all. The only this is it's a bit too big! A tiny stroke on the screen can be a big hand movement. Luckily you can define the active area in the driver software. I usually keep it to about 4"x3" section on the bottom right of the pad. What a great problem to have though! haha. Can't wait to see what you make with it!

31. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

@titanty - No one but you can run that webplayer - "Built with beta version of Unity. Will only work on your computer!". Also, if you need hosting, I'll be happy to help! I got tons of super fast webspace.

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

To play the webplayer you need Unity 3.5 developer preview sorry guys :( ill upload a flash and android version now :D

I dident use normal maps as in this thread that they will be a performance sucker on phones.

@EnigmaFactory, Hi im quite good on hosting at the moment and i plan on getting my own website in the near future, but thanks for the offer :D

Flash Build is hear :D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  33. Acumen

Acumen

wow, I'm Adam a vampire dwarf and live in a world with giant books :D

34. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

35. Rodesqa

Rodesqa

im very interested in this game, maybe a standalone build? I really cant download the latest version of flash since it messes with my youtube, and other video settings.

36. Rodesqa

Rodesqa

very nice webbuild, i see the textures are work in progress i like the way they are being done, I love toon style drawn textures.

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks, ill upload a mac and windows build in a second :D

38. Stardog

Stardog

I like the art style. It gives it a lot of character.

39. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

You guys have inspired me to learn how to do painted textures!

Your work looks great, titanty.

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I havent done much lately because school goes back tomorrow and wanted to rest, but ill start doing some more work soon :D

41. Ayrik

Ayrik

I just put the Android build on my Transformer Prime. It runs well of course, but the joysticks are too far from the edge of the screen so I couldn't control it well (I'm not used to virtual joysticks on the tablet yet). Also, you may want to exit the app on the Escape key (a.k.a. back button).

It all looks good so far keep it up.

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks, the build posted was just to show the models it only has a basic first person controller : D

Sadly I’m throwing in the hat on this whole game :( I’ve been notified that the models are not good enough and the time it will take to re model the whole thing I think its best just to put it behind me and work on a different game... If my models are not good enough for freelance then I don’t think I’ll be willing to put them into my game.

I loved this game but over the past few days I’ve really been sad so I think I’m better off to take another brake then restart a different game I was working on.

I apologise to everyone who has been following the progress but it’s indefinitely cancelled.

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Titanty: There is a very big difference between art that is being sold generically and art and an art style that works for you and your game. I didn't find any issue with your models. What makes you think that your work and your game are both/either substandard and/or not worth working on?

If you need a break from this one, take it, but come back to it when you are ready.

44. Acumen

Acumen

You know the biggest mistake is to make another fullblown game.....
    If we really reduce it down, you modeled a prop set of a room for a game that was meant to be quite large in scale, from the way I understood.

If I remember correctly this was said in this thread, as well:
    You will never get anything done, if you continuously tackle these superhuge projects and then back off as soon as the actual work comes into play. I think you would be better off to take more babysteps in order to level up your skills.
    You don't need to release packs on the asset store or anything, but finish stuff exactly as you planned it. That will give you a boost of confidence.
    Afterall, you could have finished this project, even though people said it was not up to par. Also you're taking this quite personal, since you were asking about your freelancing abilities and not your game project per se.
    This could have shaped up nice and could have been a superbe learning experience. Instead the moment it was critical you just stopped. That's all it took, a handful of people who said "neh, not too great". That can and will happen on each and every project. People will always crit your work because they want to push you even further.
    You can see and judge what crits you wanna take serious and change stuff based on that and then move on. But giving up because a soft wind came up - meh, you can do better, I'm sure !
    Be open for crits, that's the only way you will grow as an artist and a person. If you turn around like that on every project, that will make me a sad panda.

Just be realistic on your next project. See your resources (time, money, skill) and think about something that you can come up with in a reasonable amount of time, that can be fun and that will make your improve. And finish it, no matter what people say. Feels much better to release something than to constantly drop in and out of projects. Trust me :)

45. varedis

varedis

Some sound advice from Acumen there.

Starting off with art assets is also one of the biggest productivity killers in a game. If you produce your art first and your game play second then I guarantee that will spend over half you time adjusting art assets or adding new ones and game play will ultimately suffer. Your art assets will evolve from your game play.

You might have spent hours on that table but as you started to work on your game play you may realise that the table needs to be a different shape, size, intractable, animated and thus you will revisit the same art assets multiple times. Now these changes might be small on there own but extrapolate that to tens or even hundreds of art assets and you have a big time sink.

46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I would agree with the above. When I'm introducing Unity in my classes, I use only primitive shapes. GamePlay can be done with temp shapes and temp buttons. My current hobby project uses nothing but temp objects. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgrf3NSo8Vw) I updated them only as needed. I added a shuttle-bay to the temp textured space station only when I needed it as part of coding the game play. I wanted to start working on a launch sequence, so I needed something to launch from. The asteroids use the default rock texture from Unity and the station and ship share the same temp texture.

Gameplay first. Assets after that. You will make only what you need.

47. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

I agree aswell, I'm working on a game at the moment and while I'm working on art assets at the moment, I made sure to have a working prototype of the game before doing any art at all.

Here is the newest build, by the way if you'd like to see it: http://reallyhandsomepeople.com/knightgame/knightgame.html

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Actualy loads of the programing is done, i only need enemy ai and to dicide on a charicter controller.

@littleangel, thanks for the kind words i had proboly over 10 people on my "am i ready for free-lance" who said my models were bad and that they needed alot of changes.

49. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

People didn't say your models were bad, they said they weren't good enough for freelance. For a personal project they're fine.

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

But why would i use less then par models in my game?