Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Creation Of Adam

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TylerPerry, Dec 26, 2011.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

$logo copy.png

This thread is for the development of my game "Adam The Vampire Slayer" im showcasing the whole build process from start to release of the game hear.

Builds :D

Latest web build(requires 3.5 beta): This is version 0.01 no programing visible just so people can look at the assets in 3d, have fun :D

Latest flash build: this is version 0.01 no programing visible just so people can see some of the assets in game

Lastest android build: again this isent the game just the assets in a room wich you can walk around :D

Latest windows EXE build: the same as the rest :D

Lastest Mac build: again its the same as the rest :)
    The game :D

Adam The Vampire Slayer will be a first person shooter for all platforms, the game will be based in a tower were vampires live, there will be limitless levels each randomly generated then once the levels are cleared you can procede through the elevator to the next level. As the charicter moves up the tower more vampires will be present making the dificulty more the higher you get, a possible feature is bosses, the plan is that every ten levels there is a boss level wich is a single room with a more powerfull vampire.

The charicter :D

The player plays as a crossbow wielding vampire hunting badass called Adam, i havent got a backstory yet but that will come later, if you have any idears feel free to post them :D

Control scheme :)

In the game the controll sceme will change from device to device but at the moment on PC,Mac and webplayer the controlls will be W,A,S,D or arrow keys to move, mouse to look and the space bar to mele atack(stab with a bayonet)
    On Android(and eventualy IOS) the controlls will be a joystick to move and the rest are undecided(any sugestions would be good)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

im reserving this for stuff :D

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Becase the game has already been started ill post here everything that has been done so far then every day(if i do something) ill post a post with what i did :).

Day 1. I had the idea of the game and made the random generation of the levels i call it "RanGen" it works by having for arrays, one for the corner, one for the middle, one for verry center and a array for the edges. It then makes these in the needed place randomly, then rotates them to make them face to middle.(at this point it was going to be one large room) the floorplan looked like this at this point:

$floorplan.png

Day 2. Was when i started to do modeling, i made the cross bow first followed by a table:
    $crossbow.png $crossbow2.png
    $table 3.png $Table2.png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I ran out of atachments in the last post so ill continue here.

Day 3. I had a conundrum of what size texture i should use for the table but ended up going with a 512x512 UV map, thanks to multiple users advice :D

Day 4. This was christmas and i got a tablet wich is great for my hand painted textures :D so naturaly after spending most of my day visiting my gandparents i finaly got to start playing around with a tablet for the first time ever, photoshop for the first time ever and hand painted textures for the first time ever and hear is what i made :D Oh and also i changes the floor plan to be smaller as there are now multiple rooms instead of one :D:

$rock.png
    $floorplan2.png

Day 5. Was yester day wich is when i started to write this thread but every one went to bed and i dident wanto have to turn lights off :) so now this stuff gets pushed back to these posts of things i did in the past (post posting this).
    I went shopping to Ikea and Fountain gate so i only got a bit of time at night to make some stuff but i decided to make a brick picture and some wood as a practice for my table and the walls of the tower :)
    $brickspicture.png $wood picture.png

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks good but you shouldn't define the shape of stone that much and what tablet did you buy?Btw why are you saying hear for here and idear for idea?
    Take a look at this image(not mine):

6. ivanzu

ivanzu

And remove the thin tris at second table because you are going to get lighting artifacts.

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I got a wacom bamboo fun CTH-670, ill have a go at making the rocks look a bit nicer now :D and yes i was using the wrong words ill go through and fix them :D

Oh and the tin triangles are already removed the first table is the same table just upgraded, i just added the second picture as it has legs :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i did few minutes of updating the picture ive only done a bit on the top right but hear it is :D
    $brickspictureupdate.png

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

You should paint some fake light on texture.

10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I might have a go at it some more later, here is the UV map of the table the bottom is underneath the top to save space (thanks farfarer for the advice :)):
    $TableTexture.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I just finished texturing the table top i like how cartoony it feels:D i was so worried that the texture would be a large filesize but it all worked out well :D only 168kb:

$tabletextdone.png

$TableTexture2.png

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The table is done :D coming in at a total of 150 Polygons the legs have a 128x128 uv map of 20kb:

$tabledone.png $TextureLeg.png

13. Salim

Salim

This game has a lot of potential, I love hand painted style of your textures!

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks i think it has alot more then my past games:D:D:D, I love your work :D that robot looks so nice :), and you worked on modern combat? thats cool :)

15. Acumen

Acumen

i think what you missed on the table is that why would you create a table with planks like that. It would need a totally complicated underlying structure. It would fall to pieces otherwise. the texture works great for floors, It should be 4 long planks instead :)
    Nice progress so far !

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I though of that :) but i think it would look a bit to bare if the planks were just realy long, also i looked at my kitchen table and it has multiple pices, i think they are glued together or something similar :D i realy like your low poly cars(the ferrari and the lambo) they are some of the best low pollyness ive seen :D

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

just fixed up this 3d model of a book, :D: $bookmodel.png

18. ivanzu

ivanzu

Thats because it uses tongue and groove systems, medieval tables didn't have that kind of system.

19. Priske415

Priske415

remember your mesh doesnt need to connect at all of the vertexes the page section could be its own piece, which would save you 6 tires.
    As for the table earlier statements are right, you don't see a whole lot of tables made of wood planks. Your textures need work with highlights ect. The stone specifically needs a lot of work, dont just make bright lines where ever you want grooves, know where your lighting is coming from.

20. SentientGames

SentientGames

Your table looks good to me, man. I wouldn't sweat the technicalities of realistic table design, especially considering the cartoony styling and the fact that it is more than likely not going to be the focal point of your game. If anything, I think it wouldn't look as interesting with four long planks. Style over realism if you ask me. Keep up the hard work! :D

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks glad you like it:D

@all, I realy think that it will look verry bare if i had four planks, but ill have a quick go soon :D maby what i could do is put large bolts through all the planks wich would hold them together?

@Priske415 I dont get what you mean about the book? could you please elaborate :)

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just did the UV map of the book :D
    $BOOKTEXT2.png

23. ivanzu

ivanzu

That bended part could been UV mapped to be straight as it would been much easier to texture.

24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I do my textures with a graphics tablet so its not much harder and its so small it hardly affects anything and that way i got more space, i finished the texture, it will be viewed from a distance mainly so i wsent to worryed about it being not detailed enough :) im going to make a few alternate textures (5 to be precise) each will have a roman numeral on the fron and will have difernt designs :D:

$BOOKTEXT2.png $BOOkdone.png

25. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just made a quick mashup of the book and the table :D:

$tableandbook.png

26. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks pretty good,put a candle there and it will be perfect :).

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Haha, i was just thinking that exact same thing, im also going to make a kind of golblet to put on it :D

28. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

Looking awesome titanty! Loving the art style. I'm shooting for the same thing in my project. Got a 10" by 6.35" Monoprice tablet and I am very pleased with it. Only $40! Highly recommended. Here is my first shot at the hand painted texture look:

Perhaps we could collaborate a bit on each others. I've written a few design documents for vampire themed games and I'm really into the lore.

My project is currently being built on the Okashi RPG Kit.

29. tatelax

tatelax

Fantastic textures

30. marcos

marcos

I'd make the cracks darker and put some edge highlights in there! Looking good though!

31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks for the advice :D i will look into it, your sculps are verry verry good :D

@tatelex If that was aimed at me then thanks i greatly apreciate it :D

@Enigmafactory Your textures look great, unfortunently i cant colaborate i sent a PM to explain in more detail :)

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hear are three books on the table :D, the blue one was made by Engima factory and it looks fabulous thanks:

$tableandbook3.png

33. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

Looking nice! Humbled you decided to use it. I think the new wolf one is the best yet though! I might take a shot at making another. You could also play with scaling them to make some smaller, some thinner, you know, some cool variation.

34. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yer, i was going to scale them but this picture is just to see them all together :D

35. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

I'll mute the saturation a bit and clean up the center of the cross if you'd like. I was just messing around, never thought you'd want to use it.

What are you using for the textures? Photoshop?

36. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You dont need to make any modifications if you dont wanto, and yer i use Photoshop :)

37. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

I just think the center areas of the cross should be cleaned up. Girlfriend also says I should remove the text. Thoughts?

I'm using Photoshop CS4, but I'm thinking about using Corel Painter 12 for it media emulation and cool symmetry features (works just like modelling symmetry but for painting).

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think the text looks cool :D what dose it say? looks like "joam"? i dont know what that is? with symmetry you can just make the faces overlap on the UV map(like how you only do half of the book :D) that way you get more space :D But if you dont like the text then you can remove it is yours after all :D

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just made another book its based of tom riddles diary from harry potter but dont say anything dont wanto get my pants sued off ;D:

$BOOKTEXT2 - Copy (2) copy.png $BOOKTEXT2 - Copy - Copy copy.png $Tableandbook4.png

40. rik338

rik338

Looks good!

41. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

just made a stack of the books i made :D im going to canberra for a few days to see a art expo of renasance art, so i wont be able to reply or update this forum(i might if there is wifi were im going :)) but what i did to day was the book i made three skins :D

hear is the stacks and see you all in a few days and maby ill have the crossbow done then :D:

$BookStacks.png

43. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

WoW,titanty that looks great!
    You're really good at hand-painted textures(wish I could do hand-painted :()

44. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks :D i defently think a graphics tablet helps(along with photoshop) hear is my first go at a hand painted texture in paint and with a mouse from a few months ago :D:

$woodie.png

i defently think i have came a long way :D

Im not realy happy with the spine on the green book but it will be a easy fix :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  45. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Yeah...I see a LOT of progress.
    I did these 2 bad hand-painted textures like 5 months ago with a mouse.I haven't progressed since :(

46. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Those look great :D if you made the planks a bit bigger and less of a gap then they would look more and painted. and if you make the bricks more random sizes and added some scratches and cracks then they would look even better :D

But to be honnest that picture i posted was quite quick to make and could have looked better if i added more detail but not much :D

47. ivanzu

ivanzu

Very good progress so far!Just wanna ask do you ever sleep;)?

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Just wrote a realy long post then my music player crashed my phone if i get time i will rewrite it in the moring on my laptop otherwise see you all on next monday :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  49. Kokumo

Kokumo

Keep on working; you did great job!

50. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

As Priske415 said, " know where your lighting is coming from " and add in some lighting, because at the moment the textures are very flat. Why have the legs of the table got a seprate bitmap to the top? They should have one bitmap for the entire texture. and the size of the texture is also to large for the detail you have, you could have half the size and it will pretty much look the same.

What I would like you to do is restart your rock texture. First find some refrence like ivanzu has showen. Then start by giving the entire texture sheet a color, instead of starting on white ( I start with grey as its a neutral color, but any color will do aslong as it is very desaturated, but that can change depending on what your doing. ) choose your colors that the stone will be and start blocking in the shape, then once you have the shape blocked in start thinking about lighting (now this is where you start using your values) I can't stress how important getting your values correct is, because if they're wrong then your texture will just look S*** ( simply put ). Some people just work with value strait off the bat, but try working with color because this will help you in the future. Now if you have the values done then start working in some details, cracks, moss etc. What's important about every texture you do is to think about time ( How long has it been there?) , lighting ( The value, is it the same as my other objects) etc... really put thought into what your doing instead of saying " I'll make a table" and then pooping out something half assed. Once you have the basics thrown down it will be a piece of cake ;)

WoW, Torchlight like to exaggerated their detail, so try mixing it up. No point in sticking to what "A" style is sapose to look like, aslong as it looks good to you and others then in dosen't matter. What your trying to do as an artist is get that end result. How you go about getting there isn't imortant as long as you get those results!!!!!. Some of the things I've metioned will seperate you from just being good, to actully being an artist.

Keep up the good work, and hope this helps abit.
    Micah

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011